Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Lock 11 rebuild  (Read 7601 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Lock 11 rebuild
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 10:24:25 PM »
Lock 11 Update:

Visited Lock 11 again today with representatives of the Carnival Team, the Council's Greenspace Team and Cllr. @Malcolm Allan

Everything is on-track for opening the lock for navigation on Friday 24 May, as previously advised.

Plans were agreed for the state that the site would be left in for Marple Carnival on the 15th June and a meeting was scheduled for 10 June for a final visit.

Full reinstatement of the site will take place after Marple Carnival. Some planting activities may have to be left until the late autumn, which is the best time for tree/shrub planting.

Unfortunately there was no opportunity to take photos during the visit.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:13 AM »
As I was walking through the park yesterday, around lock 11, I noticed the house at the top of Garth Road, the small spur off Station Road which is being used to access the park for lock repairs. The house looks empty and the upstairs windows appear to have been broken. Does anyone know what's happening to it? Often if small incidents of vandalism aren't addressed, bigger ones happen.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »
This was only touched on briefly but I don't believe so. They are under a lot of pressure to get the Cheshire Ring reopened and the scaffold would need to be reconfigured to do this, hence causing delay. So I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Will ask again when we next meet though.
Why dont u use the area were the Apple trees are planted Arkwright road .theres plenty of room for parking as well .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
Are there any plans to open up the workings to the public as happened with the rebuild further up the flight?

This was only touched on briefly but I don't believe so. They are under a lot of pressure to get the Cheshire Ring reopened and the scaffold would need to be reconfigured to do this, hence causing delay. So I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Will ask again when we next meet though.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Mr Marple

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:32:38 PM »
I'm very hopeful that the ground will be ready for the fun fair come the Friday before Carnival day.

This gives me hope and no doubt the Carnival Committee will be happy(with crossed fingers, of course).

Dudleian

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the update Mark. Some good photos there that show the extent and depth of the workings that others may not realise.
Are there any plans to open up the workings to the public as happened with the rebuild further up the flight?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »
Lock 11 Update:

It was interesting to pay a visit to CRT and Kier in the park today and see how they are getting on with the repairs to Lock 11 - shame it was so cold and wet!

As you can see from the photos, the stonework is now all removed from the lock and they will soon be ready to start rebuilding it back up.

Currently they feel they are on schedule to re-open for boats on Friday 24 May, as the latest statement posted in February below.

One of the key concerns locally is the impact of the works on Marple Carnival on 15th June and several members of the Carnival  Committee plus Ted Morley (Fun Fair owner) attended today's meeting to discuss options to accommodate the Fun Fair on Carnival Day. Everyone seemed happy with the provisional plans made and there will be another meeting in early May to firm up details and consider where the work is up to at the time.

Thank you to CRT and Kier for their hospitality and to Stockport Council's Greenspace team for organising the meeting.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:37:17 AM »
Here is the latest news from CRT, dated yesterday at 17:24:

Unfortunately, whilst the works at Marple Lock 11 have been progressing steadily throughout the winter so far, they are a few weeks behind our original intended schedule.

It is now planned to re-open the canal to boats by close of play on Friday 24th May 2019. Delays have been encountered in the piling phase of the works, with the augering of the ground and reinforced concrete pile installation behind the existing lock walls proving slower than expected, as well as having to address some design changes due to site constraints. However, the piling is now complete, ensuring the ground is stable so that the failed lock walls can be carefully dismantled.

Given the progression of the works to date, at this stage we now have more certainty regarding the expected duration of the next phase; take-down of both lock walls, followed by their re-building back to the correct alignment. This is complex and time consuming, as the walls are being re-constructed like-for-like, in order to comply with heritage requirements.  Lock 11 is a Grade II Listed structure.

We apologise for this ongoing closure, and are pushing forward to complete the re-construction of the lock as soon as possible.

Note: the extra post made in error and others responding to it have been removed.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:07:35 PM »
I'm sure that I'm not the only one following the progress of the rebuilding of Lock 11 adjacent to the Memorial Park and I was wondering if anyone is liaising with the contractors and could possibly post progress reports?
There is only one accessible public vantage point for the works but this gives only a limited view of what is going on and inevitably results in guesswork as to the state of progress - for instance I see now that there is a heap of what appear to be sections of the recent piling work carried out before Christmas.
Anyone else interested, or is it just me?
Due to finish before April for the boating season .

Dudleian

Lock 11 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:13:28 PM »
I'm sure that I'm not the only one following the progress of the rebuilding of Lock 11 adjacent to the Memorial Park and I was wondering if anyone is liaising with the contractors and could possibly post progress reports?
There is only one accessible public vantage point for the works but this gives only a limited view of what is going on and inevitably results in guesswork as to the state of progress - for instance I see now that there is a heap of what appear to be sections of the recent piling work carried out before Christmas.
Anyone else interested, or is it just me?