Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Etherow Country Park  (Read 7516 times)

CTCREP

Re: Etherow Country Park
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »
A notice by the toilets near the weir says the toilets are not going to close.  So well done those who did anything to make the Council see sense.

amazon

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »
Let us hope this work continues up the canal, there are a couple of trees that have been left where they fell, and then continue the work up at the Keg Pool path.  Removing trees that are likely to fall into the pool or the river taking the path with them will help save the Keg Pool path

I note the bridge has been moved, but not replaced yet.

Anyone with influence with this Council please keep the momentum going.
IKeep trying .

CTCREP

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 03:21:51 PM »
Let us hope this work continues up the canal, there are a couple of trees that have been left where they fell, and then continue the work up at the Keg Pool path.  Removing trees that are likely to fall into the pool or the river taking the path with them will help save the Keg Pool path

I note the bridge has been moved, but not replaced yet.

Anyone with influence with this Council please keep the momentum going.

amazon

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2019, 01:09:39 PM »
As regular user of etherow park i agree with you all the way ihave heard today by a lady thats involed with freinds of the park that at the end of feb they are going to clear the mess i call it the swamp in front of the garden centre it has been put of three times dont no whos doing it the freinds or the councill .we shall see .you are aware its the toilets near the waterfall they want to close quite a few people who i have asked to signed the petition thats in the information part think its the cafe toilets . .But they could be next .keep complaining .
They have now started work near cafe and garden centre looks better already taken some of the trees out looks good .

jimblob

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
Or- GASP - just use some money that's reserved for such things rather than wasting time, money and effort by trying to reserve cash pointlessly from a single source.  Your solution just creates pointless bureaucracy. 

You've hit the nail on the head here. I'm sure the very process of assessing and creating this cost summary has in itself cost several thousand pounds. A site visit, collating quotes, writing the report.... Our friends at the TownHall and Fred Perry House love bureaucracy because it keeps them in jobs and the more of it the better, they don't actually care if anything gets done!

andrewbowden

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »
Incidentally I can tell you EXACTLY what would happen if a proportion of car parking fees at Etherow was reserved for the park.

THE FUNDING FROM THE MAIN BUDGET WOULD BE REDUCED ACCORDINGLY.

It won't increase Etherow's budget.  It can't increase Etherow's budget.

Why? Because that money is being spent somewhere right now by the council.  Keeping it in the park just reduces the amount of money to spend elsewhere.  Something else has to give.  Keeping the money in the park does not magically increase the money the council has.  It just moves money from one pot to another.  And adds a layer of hassle for the council accountants.

Seriously.  Change the record. 

andrewbowden

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 07:06:18 PM »
Is that too much of a sum to be taken out of the Car Park charges that go to other, non Etherow Country Park projects?

Or- GASP - just use some money that's reserved for such things rather than wasting time, money and effort by trying to reserve cash pointlessly from a single source.  Your solution just creates pointless bureaucracy. 

Seriously change the record.  Stop worrying about where the money comes from and concentrate on the need for the money.  Focus on what is relevant. The exact source of park funding from the council income is  irrelevant.    The need for it, clearly isn't.   

CTCREP

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
So let’s analyse this.

First the estimate is for the Toilets,  and also the Pump House

The priority items cost £1700.  Not a huge sum.

The wish list beyond that is £6500 for improved pathway.  Whilst welcome, the Council is quite happy with poor surfaces elsewhere - Rollins Lane for example - so is this really necessary?   Even if it does need improving, it is probably within the ability of the Friends of Etherow Country Park with some little assistance from the Council, not the occasional opposition they get from the Council. So this could be discounted.

Next £5,800 for Roofing repairs and some timber work.  That is essential. So that and the remaining work comes to £6700.

Is that too much of a sum to be taken out of the Car Park charges that go to other, non Etherow Country Park projects?

People are paying to visit the Park. The money they pay should go to the Parks upkeep.

I have signed Malcolm’s petition, but it needs many more to sign.

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=104&RPID=16604320&HPID=16604320&$LO$=1

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 07:40:52 AM »
Compstall Community Council has shared a couple of images of the council's estimate to repair the toilets:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

jimblob

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »

amazon

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »

Howard

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »

jimblob

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 04:55:32 PM »
So what do you intend to do about it
Emigrate

amazon

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
I suspect I mean local government in general, a combination of all of the above giving rise to en mass indecision, design by committee, a complete absence of pragmatism and political correctness gone mad.
So what do you intend to do about it

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »
I've been working on this for a while. As well as being a Councillor, I am also a volunteer at Etherow. We were aware as soon as the toilets were closed and for months now I've been writing to and meeting council officers to get information on why. This is a very long story but to keep it short, we were told there was an expensive repair needed to a drainage pipe and this would cost in the region of £20k odd. I asked to see the quotation as it seemed very high. Meanwhile they found a quote for the alternative, which was demolition of the toilets at a cost of £27,000. Thanks to a Freedom of Information request we now know the cost of the drain repair is quoted at £5k, and the rest is all about other repairs and ongoing maintenance over 3 years. I believe most of this can be done buy us volunteers, hence saving the toilets and the tax payer soem cash! The petition is mine, and has my name on the bottom, and I told the council I was doing this when they were unable after a long period to get me the data we now have. Please sign the petition if you agree with us, and I will present it to full Council. Big thanks to Etherow Volunteers and Compstall Community Council who have been pushing on this issue through me and been a huge support and very active in getting out the petition.

There is now an electronic version of the petition to save the toilets at Etherow Park Weir:

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=104&RPID=16604320&HPID=16604320&$LO$=1
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website