Marple Sixth Form College: ambitious to be an outstanding college within its community, and for its community.

Author Topic: Middlewood Way  (Read 416 times)

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
Re: Middlewood Way
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:08:36 PM »
Well as a cyclist who uses the route pretty much daily I'll take anything that helps. I'd love a segregated lane in each direction, but I suspect that this is both impractical and too expensive.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

nbt

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 06:10:30 PM »
Actually, the last thing I want to see as a cyclist is a bit of paint masquerading as a committment to cycling. A bit if paint seems to make people think it's fine to drive past you 6" from your elbow. I'd rather have properly planned and built cycle infrastructure, which is why the proposed painted cycle up the A6 was remove - don't do a half arsed job and say "that's it", do the job properly
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 11:16:58 AM »
What is really needed is (at the least) an on road marked cycle lane from Jackson’s Dairy to High Lane. This would link the A555 cycle way to Middlewood Way and High Lane. The Roadspace is there to do this without inconveniencing drivers and it would start to provide a safe corridor. Obvioulsy a shared space path would be better, but that would involve much more cost.

I’m surprised that a cycle lane from High Lane to the A555 down the A6 was not included in the A555 mitigation package as it’s a clear ‘missing link’. At the moments many cyclists a day are having to dice with HGVs on that corridor, when a bit of paint would help make everyone safer.

Last year I had the idea of taking the kids down the Middlewood Way to busy High Lane Park. Great idea until we got to the A6. The we had to squeeze along a bramble infested pavement to get to High Lane, virtually impossible to push a bike along. So much for encouraging local journeys by other means than the car....
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

jimblob

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 10:58:57 AM »
I guess Windlehurst has been made so utterly useless for even the motorists, cyclists don't stand a chance. The "mitigation measures" are working a treat! I actually drove back from high lane to Marple via hazel grove last weekend to avoid the rollercoaster. Ridiculous! Cummon councillors, what's the plan for removing the crazy traffic measures from Windlehurst and Hibbert Lane?

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
Middlewood Way
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »
Now that the Manchester Airport Relief Road has become a reality, and many cyclists are finding it a useful facility, it is time to recognise that the Middlewood Way should become a useful link between Marple and all points heading toward the Airport and beyond.

In the past the usual excuse for not catering for cyclists and other wheeled vehicle users was that the Council have to cater for horses.

Well, now they have found a horse friendly surface to upgrade several sections of bridleway in the Strines Mellor area, it is time they provided the same surface on the Middlewood Way to enable cyclists to access the MARR. Any hope of that happening Councillors?