Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Pedestrian crossings  (Read 2096 times)

rsh

Re: Pedestrian crossings
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:59 PM »
I totally agree with CTCREP regarding the lights at Windlehurst canal bridge. (snip) I may not be fast but I am an experienced cyclist who dislikes coming that way because of the timing of the lights.

Agreed it's really hard to get going from a standstill on that hill in time for the lights.

The last few times I've been that way I've even taken to dropping down to the canal and coming back up to Hawk Green via Barnsfold Road, which also helps avoid the three horrible and pointless traffic islands on that stretch of road which you're guaranteed to have some berk try and overtake you through with a few centimetres clearance. They seem completely unnecessary - two aren't even crossings, there are no dropped kerbs - and if the school needs a crossing a zebra would be better for everyone.

Lily

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
I totally agree with CTCREP regarding the lights at Windlehurst canal bridge. (snip) I may not be fast but I am an experienced cyclist who dislikes coming that way because of the timing of the lights.

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 11:06:32 AM »
Der Councillors.  Can you get them to look at the traffic lights at the canal bridge on Windlehurst Rd at the same time.  Some years ago we tried to explain that the light sequence was too short to allow a cyclist heading towards Marple to get over the bridge before traffic was already coming over the bridge from Marple. This was even when starting off the first time the lights changed to green.  At the time the Council weren't interested, perhaps a more enlightened group of people are in charge. Thanks

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 12:38:33 PM »
Officers contacted, let’s hope they can get this fixed relatively quickly.
Thank you, Messrs Blair and Mac.

wheels

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »
Thanks for all your efforts on this Colin and not just at election time.

ColinMac

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
This was reported my me earlier this week
Tfgm engineers have been notified and are in Ghent process of dealing with it.

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
Update for you - Urban Traffic Control, part of TfGM are going to visit site early next week to examine the issue raised and shall report back accordingly. Will keep you posted of progress.

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »
Officers contacted, let’s hope they can get this fixed relatively quickly.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 03:36:51 PM »
OK, so I'm whingeing again but it does need attention.

I checked this out yesterday on my way back from Selma's funeral. I'm fortunate enough to be able to walk at a fair pace but I only just made it across the road during the beeps. So you are absolutely right @My login is Henrietta . Hopefully one of our Marple South and High Lane Councillors will be able to get something done about it?

@CllrKennyBlair   @ColinMac    @TomDowseMarpleSouth
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

Pedestrian crossings
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
OK, so I'm whingeing again but it does need attention.

I've just emailed one of the local Councillors:

I live on Buxton Lane and regularly walk into Marple village via Hibbert Lane using the new traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing near the housing estate which is on the old college site.  There is a serious problem with said traffic lights.

I find that if I set off as soon as the lights change in my favour I can only reach the centre of the road before the lights change in favour of the traffic. I am a fairly active 70 year old and, despite having severe arthritis in my hip and a walking stick, I can move at a fair old clip when it comes to crossing the road!

I can't be the only person finding this a problem. The crossing is used by adults of all ages and also school children and at certain times of the day that stretch of road is very busy with cars, buses and commercial vehicles.  To coin a phrase - there is an accident waiting to happen.

It would seem to be an easy job for the department in charge to adjust the timing on the lights. Perhaps you would pass this on to the relevant department and rattle a few cages.