Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: A6 MARR open already  (Read 4358 times)

JohnBates

Re: A6 MARR open already
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
I don't know what technology is used in Marple, but like I said, at Stockport Road/Dooley Lane, there's a conflict of flows and not enough traffic.  If the flows were all one way - i.e. everyone trying to get to Dooley Road from Marple, then it could be done.  But it's not.  It's two way.  I've sat on Dooley Lane at 8am before now, trying to get to Marple whilst traffic's on Stockport Road is trying to get to Dooley Road. 

Technology can only do so much after all, and it feels to me that what's needed is either one of the following:

1) for there to be more space allocated to the roads allowing traffic to filter into the appropriate lane earlier, or
2) less traffic to be on the roads

I certainly agree that what ever system is used there does not appear to work optimally

andrewbowden

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 10:42:33 PM »
Thanks for the link John, Interesting to read that TFGM use smart - SCOOT and MOVA technology. I wonder if Marple already benefits with this technology. If we do then we're snookered!

I don't know what technology is used in Marple, but like I said, at Stockport Road/Dooley Lane, there's a conflict of flows and not enough traffic.  If the flows were all one way - i.e. everyone trying to get to Dooley Road from Marple, then it could be done.  But it's not.  It's two way.  I've sat on Dooley Lane at 8am before now, trying to get to Marple whilst traffic's on Stockport Road is trying to get to Dooley Road. 

Technology can only do so much after all, and it feels to me that what's needed is either one of the following:

1) for there to be more space allocated to the roads allowing traffic to filter into the appropriate lane earlier, or
2) less traffic to be on the roads

PhilB

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the link John, Interesting to read that TFGM use smart - SCOOT and MOVA technology. I wonder if Marple already benefits with this technology. If we do then we're snookered!

JohnBates

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
John Bates

Does SMBC use traffic light smart management systems anywhere in stockport?

If the traffic lights junctions at Torkington / Stockport / Offerton / Dooley used smart traffic light systems it could help with congestion into / out off Marple. Currently the lights appear to work totally independently from each other and are at loggerheads.

Traffic signals are managed by TFGM for Greater Manchester. See here for more details https://www.tfgm.com/roads/traffic-signals

PhilB

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
John Bates

Does SMBC use traffic light smart management systems anywhere in stockport?

If the traffic lights junctions at Torkington / Stockport / Offerton / Dooley used smart traffic light systems it could help with congestion into / out off Marple. Currently the lights appear to work totally independently from each other and are at loggerheads.

JohnBates

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
We've just built a new road to improve traffic

Now it's open, traffic is worse on the roads that we already had

traffic will stay worse until we build another new road

is that what you're saying?

No, we have built only part of original plan. Therefore as only one of three parts built not all issues have been improved. Once other two parts done then we will get full benefit.

In addition developing Tram Train from Marple to Stockport and getting Stockport as Tram Train hub for South Manchester will complete necessarry transport infrastructure.

Condate

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »
Tried out the road on Monday, as I had the day off work. It works well, but it very poorly, when at all, signposted when coming from the M56 Eastbound. There is no mention of the road at all on the signs for the M56 junction and none for some considerable way along the pre-existing road leading to the airport. No doubt this will improve with time.

PhilB

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
Yes my journey in the morning is similar. This afternoon leaving Man Airport at 15:35 I arrived at Stockport Golf Club at 15:55 a 20 minute journey  :) Frustratingly, it took another 13 minutes to get through 17 windows and to my end destination of Rose Hill.

Still a quicker journey  :D

Henry_

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
My journey this morning, in rush hour, was 27 minutes. It's normally an hour. The new road is absolutely brilliant.

PhilB

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
Totally agree not an easy one to fix. I tend to spend most of my commute time queuing down Torkington road. When on green only a few cars get through due to the lights being on red at the Dooley junction. When I finally get through, its a clear road into Marple!

I use the new road and after it takes me to high lane, I have only two choices to get into Marple - Torkington Road or Windlehust Lane.  The obvious choice is Windlehurst but I have chosen Torkington. This is so I can preserve my cars suspension and brake wear. ( at slow speeds / within the speed limit for this road)

andrewbowden

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
That's good for Poynton. Sticking with Marple, there needs to be a fix for the traffic issues at 17 windows / dan bank. The current traffic light sequencing doesn't work.

It always seems to me (and I'm no expert so I could be wrong) that the problem is less the lights, but more the following:

1) Stockport Road going towards Cheadle/Stockport gets blocked because of the people going right down Dooley Lane.  There's not enough lane space for people to queue to turn right without blocking those going straight on at the lights, so you end up with tailbacks. 

2) Traffic gets stuck on Dooley Lane for similar reasons.  There's not enough space to split the traffic heading to Marple from the traffic going right.

In both cases I feel you could get more cars through IF you could get them there fast enough.  But due to space constraints, you can't. 

That leaves another problem in that the two are rather contradictory and that seems like it would make adjusting the traffic light sequencing to benefit everyone, a real challenge.  Solving issues on Stockport Road could cause more problems on Dooley Lane, and vice versa.

PhilB

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
That's good for Poynton. Sticking with Marple, there needs to be a fix for the traffic issues at 17 windows / dan bank. The current traffic light sequencing doesn't work.

ringi

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
Once the Poynton bypass is finished  (I don't understand why it was not built at the same time as MARR) the "shared space" in Poynton should start to work, making Poynton a nice place to go.   Hopefully, Poynton will get a 20mph enforced speed limit as soon as the bypass open, and the "raceway" will be changed so it does not look like a fast road.

nbt

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
We've just built a new road to improve traffic

Now it's open, traffic is worse on the roads that we already had

traffic will stay worse until we build another new road

is that what you're saying?
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

amazon

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »
Poynton traffic likely to be worse till Poynton bypass built, as it was with remodelling Poynton junction, though it will take some weeks to re program traffic lights to maximise actual flow as against modelled flow.
Once Poynton bypass built will be hugely improved, at least that is programmed to start. Alleviating Bents lane crawl with A6 Bredbury is still to get under way.
HAPPY Days just hope i see it hapen