Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Keg Pool Path.  (Read 10981 times)

Malcolm Allan

Re: Keg Pool Path.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »
I have a meeting with the officers from the Council very soon to discuss a range of issues that I’m concerned about at Etherow, all of which have been raised openly at the Compstall Community Council and by the Etherow Volunteer group.   
I took up with the council the issue “CTCREP” raises well before his latest mail. I know this contributor well and have visited him at home to discuss other issues he’s raised on other topics (as have my Councillor colleagues). I’m always glad to have contact with people like “CTCREP” who are passionate and concerned about our environment.  He is a well known campaigner on various local issues and his energy and enthusiasm are to be respected and admired. We have had many exchanges, and we've always been open and communicative with each other.  I’ve always tried to respond to his complaints about various subjects promptly, and he knows I’m an active volunteer at Etherow and have been for a number of years. I have a personal and family association with Etherow stretching back some 60 years and I reckon my actions demonstrate my love and care for the Park. This is one of seven park groups where I volunteer as I also care about our green space and our environment. I also reckon I have a good feel for what is possible and feasible, and while I hope we can get repairs done, it is true that the long-term protection of the bend in the river that is being eroded by natural river development will take a lot more than wheelbarrows of gravel. In my past I was involved in a river diversion project to protect domestic and commercial properties from flooding so I know what is involved.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
I have just received an email from Cllr Allen who says:-

I'm not sure I totally understand your approach to the keg pool though. It is a man made pool, not natural and nature is reclaiming its land with the normal movement of the river valley that happens in all river development. To stop nature doing this is impossible in the very long term (i.e. Over the next few hundred to a thousand years) and can only be stopped in the short term by expensive and extensive engineering. It's my view when it's man against nature, nature will always win in the end, however long it might take.

This sounds very much like the reply you would get from Stockport MBC who will seek out the most expensive and difficult scenario in order not to do anything.  It is the Councillors duty to prove them wrong.

I am sure Capability Brown’s customers realised that regular maintenance would be necessary to keep a man made pool in good condition.

Simple maintenance has kept this path acceptable for a hundred years or more, at least up until the time the Council decided they didn’t need to care for our Parks.

A supply of gravel and a few wheelbarrows would enable the Friends of Etherow Country Park to deal with the problem.  I hope Cllr Allen will request the materials.
Its going to need more than a few wheelbarrows of gravel .

CTCREP

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
 I have just received an email from Cllr Allen who says:-

I'm not sure I totally understand your approach to the keg pool though. It is a man made pool, not natural and nature is reclaiming its land with the normal movement of the river valley that happens in all river development. To stop nature doing this is impossible in the very long term (i.e. Over the next few hundred to a thousand years) and can only be stopped in the short term by expensive and extensive engineering. It's my view when it's man against nature, nature will always win in the end, however long it might take.

This sounds very much like the reply you would get from Stockport MBC who will seek out the most expensive and difficult scenario in order not to do anything.  It is the Councillors duty to prove them wrong.

I am sure Capability Brown’s customers realised that regular maintenance would be necessary to keep a man made pool in good condition.

Simple maintenance has kept this path acceptable for a hundred years or more, at least up until the time the Council decided they didn’t need to care for our Parks.

A supply of gravel and a few wheelbarrows would enable the Friends of Etherow Country Park to deal with the problem.  I hope Cllr Allen will request the materials.

CTCREP

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
I sent an email to Cllr Allen and Cllr Gribbon a few days ago, but have not received a reply, or acknowledgement yet.

I believe Cllr Allen is also a member of Friends of Etherow Country Park, so should be aware of the problem already.

The Environment Agency may be taking a second look.  Although their inspector may have visited Keg Pool, their official records say it is beside the Visitor Centre. However their report speaks of a fallen tree adjacent to the pools outflow.  There isn't a fallen tree, other than the jumble of logs etc by the visitor centre, but there is a small fallen tree adjacent to the outflow of Keg Pool -  where the bridge has been removed and replaced with a barrier.  The EA says this small tree is no problem. However the barrier could well have deterred the inspector from going along the riverside to the area I had complained about. They may make a second inspection.  I have asked the EA "had the tree been reported fallen initially, whose responsibility would it have been to remove it"?  The Environment Agency has to keep the rivers flowing properly, but Stockport Council have to repair the banks.  Either way it should have been removed immediately.

By doing away with Park Wardens the Council is reliant on the public to raise any issues, which in this instance the barriers are preventing. So unless you easily climb over the barrier or simply walk round it,  who is making sure Etherow Country Park isn't being allowed to fall into dereliction?

Let us hope our Councillors will take up this issue.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
Has anyone raised this with Marple North Councillors @Malcolm Allan  @Steve Gribbon  and Annette Finnie?
I would recommend inviting them for a walk down to the Keg Pool to discuss this valuable asset.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
The point is that the Environment Agency can be responsible for removing fallen trees that are blocking the natural flow of the river.  This had been the case at Keg Poll where a fallen tree, plus the rubbish it collected. created an eddy that has eroded the footpath.

The Council's decision to not have regular inspections by Park Wardens, and by putting up barriers to deter people from using the path, meant the problem was not reported immediately.  The problem could have been solved either by the SMBC or the Environment Agency, or possibly by involving the Friends of Etherow Park.

The Council seems determined to allow Etherow Country Park to fall into decay.  This cannot be allowed to happen.
Completly agree with you i use Etherow a lot for walking right round including the  Keg anthing i can do to help please letlet me no .

CTCREP

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
The point is that the Environment Agency can be responsible for removing fallen trees that are blocking the natural flow of the river.  This had been the case at Keg Poll where a fallen tree, plus the rubbish it collected. created an eddy that has eroded the footpath.

The Council's decision to not have regular inspections by Park Wardens, and by putting up barriers to deter people from using the path, meant the problem was not reported immediately.  The problem could have been solved either by the SMBC or the Environment Agency, or possibly by involving the Friends of Etherow Park.

The Council seems determined to allow Etherow Country Park to fall into decay.  This cannot be allowed to happen.

amazon

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
I have just had a reply from the Environment Agency.  The bank is the responsibility of Stockport Council. Stockport's current attitude is to do nothing and allow the river to take over the whole area.

One slightly good piece of news is that a fallen tree that had been creating an eddy and eroding the bank has now become detached which should slow down the erosion.
Idid say that in previous email .

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
I have just had a reply from the Environment Agency.  The bank is the responsibility of Stockport Council. Stockport's current attitude is to do nothing and allow the river to take over the whole area.

One slightly good piece of news is that a fallen tree that had been creating an eddy and eroding the bank has now become detached which should slow down the erosion.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
Thanks for info .
Just had email from canal river trust they  have no jurisdiction over this area it is the responsibility of stockport mbc .

amazon

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »
Hello
Since my last post I have received the following message from Stockport's Green Space Manager:- You are assured that steps will be taken to ensure that the bridge is replaced and the other points you have raised have all been noted.

So that is a start, a pity they decided use use their time, materials and energy to block the path when  they could have been better used shoring up the river bank.

I have also had this reply to a message I sent to the Environment Agency concerning the erosion of the river bank

Thank you for your email, this has been logged with incident reference number: 1656316.    This incident has now been forwarded to the duty officer in your area for their assessment.

Please keep an eye on this situation so that we don't lose our attractive river side path.
Thanks for info .

CTCREP

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »
Hello
Since my last post I have received the following message from Stockport's Green Space Manager:- You are assured that steps will be taken to ensure that the bridge is replaced and the other points you have raised have all been noted.

So that is a start, a pity they decided use use their time, materials and energy to block the path when  they could have been better used shoring up the river bank.

I have also had this reply to a message I sent to the Environment Agency concerning the erosion of the river bank

Thank you for your email, this has been logged with incident reference number: 1656316.    This incident has now been forwarded to the duty officer in your area for their assessment.

Please keep an eye on this situation so that we don't lose our attractive river side path.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 04:57:00 PM »
Hello Amazon.  I walked round there on Saturday.  Now that the Council Officers have been made aware of what they should have known already. the material used to create the new barrier could have been used in the river where the bank is being eroded and the area filled in, just as it would have been done for the last 100 years or more. Also while in the area the Council workers could have returned the bridge to its original position and secured it.

It is possible the responsibility lies with the Canals and Rivers Trust, so has the Council contacted them? If not why not?  Perhaps they say they have more serious things to attend to than to put right something that has occurred due to poor maintenance by the Council. The Council have said the pool may have to be given up to the river as repairing the path is too expensive.

So the Council has chosen to ignore  this real flooding problem while using a Government Flood Repair Grant to upgrade several footpaths and bridleways in the Mellor Strines area that have little relevance to flooding as most people consider.

In my view Etherow Country Park is the Premier Park in Stockport as it caters for more interests than any other park in Stockport. We can’t let the Council let it fall into disrepair.

Is there a petition system available and will someone take up the issue?
Ihave emailed the canal and riverside trust re the river banking keg to see who is responsible for its upkeep .will come back when i recieve answer

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 12:19:36 PM »
Hello Amazon.  I walked round there on Saturday.  Now that the Council Officers have been made aware of what they should have known already. the material used to create the new barrier could have been used in the river where the bank is being eroded and the area filled in, just as it would have been done for the last 100 years or more. Also while in the area the Council workers could have returned the bridge to its original position and secured it.

It is possible the responsibility lies with the Canals and Rivers Trust, so has the Council contacted them? If not why not?  Perhaps they say they have more serious things to attend to than to put right something that has occurred due to poor maintenance by the Council. The Council have said the pool may have to be given up to the river as repairing the path is too expensive.

So the Council has chosen to ignore  this real flooding problem while using a Government Flood Repair Grant to upgrade several footpaths and bridleways in the Mellor Strines area that have little relevance to flooding as most people consider.

In my view Etherow Country Park is the Premier Park in Stockport as it caters for more interests than any other park in Stockport. We can’t let the Council let it fall into disrepair.

Is there a petition system available and will someone take up the issue?

amazon

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
The Keg Pool Path in Etherow Country Park is a pleasant riverside path that occasionally, once or twice year, gets flooded at high river levels.

Up until Stockport Council decided to withdraw their Countryside Wardens, any small inundations would have been repaired as they had been for the preceding 100 years or more.

About two years ago a small footbridge over the exit sluice floated a few yards away, having never been secured properly, and was never put back in place.

The Council decided to put up a barrier at the other end of this path to deter people walking along the path, only to find they would have to retrace their steps or get their feet wet.

At a meeting with the Council’s Green Space Officers about other matters, I raised the subject of the need to replace the bridge.  After explaining to them where it was they then implied it would probably cost too much money to secure the path that was affected by flooding although, as I have said, it had been kept secure for over a hundred years now by simple maintenance.

This is their standard excuse for practically everything. Think of the most expensive way of tackling a problem and then say they have no money to do it.

From what I have been told the the money collected by the Etherow Park Car Park fees does not go to the upkeep of Etherow Country Park.  Why not?

I suggested The Friends of Etherow Park could be supplied with the necessary gravel and wheel barrows near the Keg Pool and no doubt volunteers could be found to do the work.

Yesterday I went to see if anything had been done.  Yes it has. A barrier has now been introduced beside the sluice, probably costing more in time and materials than it would to return the bridge and secure it in position. As the water levels are low at present it is a simple matter to climb over the barriers and complete the walk around the pool and  alongside the river.  It is slightly overgrown from normal because of the Council’s efforts to deter people from enjoying the walk, and no worse than some of the other paths within the park.

This meeting had arisen because of my prime interest in trying to get the Council to improve conditions for pedestrians and cyclists, not just for themselves but also to follow the Government’s intention to encourage more cycling and walking.

As many of you will know the Council has contributed a considerable sum from a Flood Repair Grant to upgrade several footpaths and bridleways in the Mellor Strines area, none of which can possibly be considered affected by flooding as  most people recognise the term. 

I am sure there are many people who would like to see Etherow Country Park kept up to its original glory, even improved.

So do we need a petition and if so who will lead it?

As I have said my prime interest is trying to make it possible for people to walk or cycle to work etc. That is a big enough headache for me.  Please someone take over this issue of the Keg Pool Path and Etherow Country Park.
Strange that your email should be on today i have been round that way today going from the other end there is a fence just the same stoping people walking  riverside but there is two parts farther on were the banking is in really bad state . the river has aroded a lot of the banking in one part its not far from joining up with the pond.it would be a shame if the pond were to join up with the river to sort all this out it could run in to millions . i would have thought it should be the river trust job to sort the banking out .i dont recomend going round that way .but i did just to see whats going on it does come to were you say there used to be a bridge .have you been round that way today if so i may have meet you .it was at one time a loverly walk right round pass the fish pounds now all overgrown paths not in very good condition . the steps futher up before the come to the fishpounds are a mess maybe  if the have the time you could have a look .going  pass sunny corner going round top bit down to fish ponds then on to the pond .were the fence is you can walk round top part of pond .