Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Keg Pool Path.  (Read 1741 times)

amazon

Re: Keg Pool Path.
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
The earlier comment about “needing more than a few barrow loads of gravel” is relevant but only because the Council failed to cut down the trees that were liable to fall into the river, which when they did do they took half the path with them.  Had the trees been cut down before they fell then their roots would have reinforced the embankment. 

Regular maintenance, as was done prior to the removal of the Park Wardens, was a relatively simple task and not requiring a degree in engineering.  Those people in responsible positions must take up the issue and ensure the Keg Pool, and the rest of Etherow Country Park are not allowed to fall into decay.
You said a few wheel barrows of Gravel .

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
The earlier comment about “needing more than a few barrow loads of gravel” is relevant but only because the Council failed to cut down the trees that were liable to fall into the river, which when they did do they took half the path with them.  Had the trees been cut down before they fell then their roots would have reinforced the embankment. 

Regular maintenance, as was done prior to the removal of the Park Wardens, was a relatively simple task and not requiring a degree in engineering.  Those people in responsible positions must take up the issue and ensure the Keg Pool, and the rest of Etherow Country Park are not allowed to fall into decay.

amazon

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 04:01:33 PM »
A comment in general about our natural environment. Erosion and deposition by nature was happening on our planet billions of years before man existed. Rivers were doing the same, forming valleys and other features millions of years before life started in the water. The Lake District derives its beauty mainly because it is entirely created by natural forces and not (largely) influenced by man. We can do many things but nature will continue this process regardless. Rye is a great example as it was an important port in the 16th century. Now it is miles from the sea but the view from the citadel out across the natural marshland is both beautiful and awe-inspiring. Man was unable to stop this but nature has still created something beautiful and full of diversity. Chesil beach is magnificent as a natural feature but it will eventually disappear. Llandudno is only there because of deposition on what is called a “tombolo”, in turn stimulated by the change in the path of the River Conway by glaciation. Nature will take its course and do what it wills, but a huge concern now should be to protect the natural balance in the environment so that we continue to survive in harmony with nature, not fighting against it and damaging it.
Dont see what this has to do with keg pool path .

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
A comment in general about our natural environment. Erosion and deposition by nature was happening on our planet billions of years before man existed. Rivers were doing the same, forming valleys and other features millions of years before life started in the water. The Lake District derives its beauty mainly because it is entirely created by natural forces and not (largely) influenced by man. We can do many things but nature will continue this process regardless. Rye is a great example as it was an important port in the 16th century. Now it is miles from the sea but the view from the citadel out across the natural marshland is both beautiful and awe-inspiring. Man was unable to stop this but nature has still created something beautiful and full of diversity. Chesil beach is magnificent as a natural feature but it will eventually disappear. Llandudno is only there because of deposition on what is called a “tombolo”, in turn stimulated by the change in the path of the River Conway by glaciation. Nature will take its course and do what it wills, but a huge concern now should be to protect the natural balance in the environment so that we continue to survive in harmony with nature, not fighting against it and damaging it. 

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »
I have a meeting with the officers from the Council very soon to discuss a range of issues that I’m concerned about at Etherow, all of which have been raised openly at the Compstall Community Council and by the Etherow Volunteer group.   
I took up with the council the issue “CTCREP” raises well before his latest mail. I know this contributor well and have visited him at home to discuss other issues he’s raised on other topics (as have my Councillor colleagues). I’m always glad to have contact with people like “CTCREP” who are passionate and concerned about our environment.  He is a well known campaigner on various local issues and his energy and enthusiasm are to be respected and admired. We have had many exchanges, and we've always been open and communicative with each other.  I’ve always tried to respond to his complaints about various subjects promptly, and he knows I’m an active volunteer at Etherow and have been for a number of years. I have a personal and family association with Etherow stretching back some 60 years and I reckon my actions demonstrate my love and care for the Park. This is one of seven park groups where I volunteer as I also care about our green space and our environment. I also reckon I have a good feel for what is possible and feasible, and while I hope we can get repairs done, it is true that the long-term protection of the bend in the river that is being eroded by natural river development will take a lot more than wheelbarrows of gravel. In my past I was involved in a river diversion project to protect domestic and commercial properties from flooding so I know what is involved.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
I have just received an email from Cllr Allen who says:-

I'm not sure I totally understand your approach to the keg pool though. It is a man made pool, not natural and nature is reclaiming its land with the normal movement of the river valley that happens in all river development. To stop nature doing this is impossible in the very long term (i.e. Over the next few hundred to a thousand years) and can only be stopped in the short term by expensive and extensive engineering. It's my view when it's man against nature, nature will always win in the end, however long it might take.

This sounds very much like the reply you would get from Stockport MBC who will seek out the most expensive and difficult scenario in order not to do anything.  It is the Councillors duty to prove them wrong.

I am sure Capability Brown’s customers realised that regular maintenance would be necessary to keep a man made pool in good condition.

Simple maintenance has kept this path acceptable for a hundred years or more, at least up until the time the Council decided they didn’t need to care for our Parks.

A supply of gravel and a few wheelbarrows would enable the Friends of Etherow Country Park to deal with the problem.  I hope Cllr Allen will request the materials.
Its going to need more than a few wheelbarrows of gravel .

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
 I have just received an email from Cllr Allen who says:-

I'm not sure I totally understand your approach to the keg pool though. It is a man made pool, not natural and nature is reclaiming its land with the normal movement of the river valley that happens in all river development. To stop nature doing this is impossible in the very long term (i.e. Over the next few hundred to a thousand years) and can only be stopped in the short term by expensive and extensive engineering. It's my view when it's man against nature, nature will always win in the end, however long it might take.

This sounds very much like the reply you would get from Stockport MBC who will seek out the most expensive and difficult scenario in order not to do anything.  It is the Councillors duty to prove them wrong.

I am sure Capability Brown’s customers realised that regular maintenance would be necessary to keep a man made pool in good condition.

Simple maintenance has kept this path acceptable for a hundred years or more, at least up until the time the Council decided they didn’t need to care for our Parks.

A supply of gravel and a few wheelbarrows would enable the Friends of Etherow Country Park to deal with the problem.  I hope Cllr Allen will request the materials.

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
I sent an email to Cllr Allen and Cllr Gribbon a few days ago, but have not received a reply, or acknowledgement yet.

I believe Cllr Allen is also a member of Friends of Etherow Country Park, so should be aware of the problem already.

The Environment Agency may be taking a second look.  Although their inspector may have visited Keg Pool, their official records say it is beside the Visitor Centre. However their report speaks of a fallen tree adjacent to the pools outflow.  There isn't a fallen tree, other than the jumble of logs etc by the visitor centre, but there is a small fallen tree adjacent to the outflow of Keg Pool -  where the bridge has been removed and replaced with a barrier.  The EA says this small tree is no problem. However the barrier could well have deterred the inspector from going along the riverside to the area I had complained about. They may make a second inspection.  I have asked the EA "had the tree been reported fallen initially, whose responsibility would it have been to remove it"?  The Environment Agency has to keep the rivers flowing properly, but Stockport Council have to repair the banks.  Either way it should have been removed immediately.

By doing away with Park Wardens the Council is reliant on the public to raise any issues, which in this instance the barriers are preventing. So unless you easily climb over the barrier or simply walk round it,  who is making sure Etherow Country Park isn't being allowed to fall into dereliction?

Let us hope our Councillors will take up this issue.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
Has anyone raised this with Marple North Councillors @Malcolm Allan  @Steve Gribbon  and Annette Finnie?
I would recommend inviting them for a walk down to the Keg Pool to discuss this valuable asset.

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
The point is that the Environment Agency can be responsible for removing fallen trees that are blocking the natural flow of the river.  This had been the case at Keg Poll where a fallen tree, plus the rubbish it collected. created an eddy that has eroded the footpath.

The Council's decision to not have regular inspections by Park Wardens, and by putting up barriers to deter people from using the path, meant the problem was not reported immediately.  The problem could have been solved either by the SMBC or the Environment Agency, or possibly by involving the Friends of Etherow Park.

The Council seems determined to allow Etherow Country Park to fall into decay.  This cannot be allowed to happen.
Completly agree with you i use Etherow a lot for walking right round including the  Keg anthing i can do to help please letlet me no .

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
The point is that the Environment Agency can be responsible for removing fallen trees that are blocking the natural flow of the river.  This had been the case at Keg Poll where a fallen tree, plus the rubbish it collected. created an eddy that has eroded the footpath.

The Council's decision to not have regular inspections by Park Wardens, and by putting up barriers to deter people from using the path, meant the problem was not reported immediately.  The problem could have been solved either by the SMBC or the Environment Agency, or possibly by involving the Friends of Etherow Park.

The Council seems determined to allow Etherow Country Park to fall into decay.  This cannot be allowed to happen.

amazon

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
I have just had a reply from the Environment Agency.  The bank is the responsibility of Stockport Council. Stockport's current attitude is to do nothing and allow the river to take over the whole area.

One slightly good piece of news is that a fallen tree that had been creating an eddy and eroding the bank has now become detached which should slow down the erosion.
Idid say that in previous email .

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
I have just had a reply from the Environment Agency.  The bank is the responsibility of Stockport Council. Stockport's current attitude is to do nothing and allow the river to take over the whole area.

One slightly good piece of news is that a fallen tree that had been creating an eddy and eroding the bank has now become detached which should slow down the erosion.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
Thanks for info .
Just had email from canal river trust they  have no jurisdiction over this area it is the responsibility of stockport mbc .

amazon

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »
Hello
Since my last post I have received the following message from Stockport's Green Space Manager:- You are assured that steps will be taken to ensure that the bridge is replaced and the other points you have raised have all been noted.

So that is a start, a pity they decided use use their time, materials and energy to block the path when  they could have been better used shoring up the river bank.

I have also had this reply to a message I sent to the Environment Agency concerning the erosion of the river bank

Thank you for your email, this has been logged with incident reference number: 1656316.    This incident has now been forwarded to the duty officer in your area for their assessment.

Please keep an eye on this situation so that we don't lose our attractive river side path.
Thanks for info .