Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Keg Pool Path.  (Read 10989 times)

CTCREP

Keg Pool Path.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
The Keg Pool Path in Etherow Country Park is a pleasant riverside path that occasionally, once or twice year, gets flooded at high river levels.

Up until Stockport Council decided to withdraw their Countryside Wardens, any small inundations would have been repaired as they had been for the preceding 100 years or more.

About two years ago a small footbridge over the exit sluice floated a few yards away, having never been secured properly, and was never put back in place.

The Council decided to put up a barrier at the other end of this path to deter people walking along the path, only to find they would have to retrace their steps or get their feet wet.

At a meeting with the Council’s Green Space Officers about other matters, I raised the subject of the need to replace the bridge.  After explaining to them where it was they then implied it would probably cost too much money to secure the path that was affected by flooding although, as I have said, it had been kept secure for over a hundred years now by simple maintenance.

This is their standard excuse for practically everything. Think of the most expensive way of tackling a problem and then say they have no money to do it.

From what I have been told the the money collected by the Etherow Park Car Park fees does not go to the upkeep of Etherow Country Park.  Why not?

I suggested The Friends of Etherow Park could be supplied with the necessary gravel and wheel barrows near the Keg Pool and no doubt volunteers could be found to do the work.

Yesterday I went to see if anything had been done.  Yes it has. A barrier has now been introduced beside the sluice, probably costing more in time and materials than it would to return the bridge and secure it in position. As the water levels are low at present it is a simple matter to climb over the barriers and complete the walk around the pool and  alongside the river.  It is slightly overgrown from normal because of the Council’s efforts to deter people from enjoying the walk, and no worse than some of the other paths within the park.

This meeting had arisen because of my prime interest in trying to get the Council to improve conditions for pedestrians and cyclists, not just for themselves but also to follow the Government’s intention to encourage more cycling and walking.

As many of you will know the Council has contributed a considerable sum from a Flood Repair Grant to upgrade several footpaths and bridleways in the Mellor Strines area, none of which can possibly be considered affected by flooding as  most people recognise the term. 

I am sure there are many people who would like to see Etherow Country Park kept up to its original glory, even improved.

So do we need a petition and if so who will lead it?

As I have said my prime interest is trying to make it possible for people to walk or cycle to work etc. That is a big enough headache for me.  Please someone take over this issue of the Keg Pool Path and Etherow Country Park.