Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Marple Refuge depot.  (Read 6229 times)

corium

Re: Marple Refuge depot.
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »
Some of the staff are friendly.  Others...

Without knowledge of this thread my wife was there today and commented how proactive & friendly one of the staff was today when she went & how this contrasted with her previous experiences. Doubtless merely a coincidence

amazon

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
Well too be honest, my immediate thought when faced with having some old petrol that didn't work with my mower, wasn't to ring up an organisation I don't have any relationship with and say to them "Hey, I have this petrol.  Doesn't work in my mower cos it's been in the tank for eight months.  Do you want it for your mower?"
i dont have a mower .

andrewbowden

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
How do you think they cut grass its normally with a mower .

Well too be honest, my immediate thought when faced with having some old petrol that didn't work with my mower, wasn't to ring up an organisation I don't have any relationship with and say to them "Hey, I have this petrol.  Doesn't work in my mower cos it's been in the tank for eight months.  Do you want it for your mower?"

amazon

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:54 PM »
It wouldn't have occurred to me because I have no idea what a cricket club would do with old petrol.
How do you think they cut grass its normally with a mower .

Howard

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
It wouldn't have occurred to me because I have no idea what a cricket club would do with old petrol.

Ball tampering  ;)

andrewbowden

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
Why did you not take to your local cricket club they would have used it .

amazon

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
Why are you disposing of 8 month old petrol? It doesn't go "off" if it's stored in a sealed container. I'd happily take it off your hands (ideally not in a 2l plastic water bottle though. PM me if you need an example of what one of those is ;)

If it's been contaminated with, for example, water however; that's another story....

RH.
Why did you not take to your local cricket club they would have used it .

mikes

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 11:18:27 AM »
It was some that had been inadvertently left in a lawnmower over the winter.  The lawnmower wasn't very happy about this arrangement, and was much happier once it got some fresh unleaded.

There wasn't much, just a litre or two.

You can use a fuel stabilser, easily purchased from Amazon, that will keep the fuel good for a couple of years.  I use this in chain saw, lawn mower, sports car, motorbike, in fact anything that I don't use that often.  It works a treat and I've never had problems with fuel degradation.

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
Why are you disposing of 8 month old petrol? It doesn't go "off" if it's stored in a sealed container. I'd happily take it off your hands (ideally not in a 2l plastic water bottle though. PM me if you need an example of what one of those is ;)

If it's been contaminated with, for example, water however; that's another story....

It was some that had been inadvertently left in a lawnmower over the winter.  The lawnmower wasn't very happy about this arrangement, and was much happier once it got some fresh unleaded.

There wasn't much, just a litre or two.

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:40:43 AM »

RH.

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »
Some of the staff are friendly.  Others...

Recently I needed to dispose of some old petrol that had been sat in a jerry can for eight months.  I took it to be disposed of.  I'm new to all this. Never had a can of petrol to get rid of before. But what to do with it? There's nowhere obvious so I wander up to one of the staff to ask him where it went.

"Are you leaving it in that can?" he asked. Well I wasn't going to. I wanted to use the can again to get some fresh fuel, so I say "I wasn't going to."

"We don't have facilities to pour it into here. You have to leave it in the can." he replies. "Has to be in a proper can. Not like a plastic bottle like this." He picks up a 2L water bottle and shows it me in case I didn't know what a plastic bottle looks like.

Right, I think as I try and read between the lines of what he's saying.. "Is there anywhere else nearby where I can pour it into?" I ask, thinking to myself, why waste a perfectly good plastic jerry can if - say - another nearby centre did have pour-in facilities.

"No," he says. "There's nowhere."

"Well I guess I'll leave it here in it's can!" I say, tiring of this bizarre conversation.

Why was he going through this utterly convoluted conversation? Why couldn't he just say "You can leave it here, but it has to be left in an appropriate can, like the one you're holding" and have done with it.

It was like he was doing some smug expert act. "Ah, look at this fool not knowing how to dispose of petrol properly. I mean!" Well of course I don't know how to dispose of it. That's why I asked him!

Basically the words to describe him and his attitude were not polite.  Even his colleague stood next to him, didn't seem to rate him much.

jimblob

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 09:02:01 PM »
there would be another skip open proberly next to it
Not for wood, and slightly missing the point!

amazon

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
I'm a regular there and have never found them particularly helpful, quite the opposite in fact. I doubt they're allowed to help customers in case they either injure themselves or cause injury. Recently, one new staff member deciding to shut off a skip for it to be compacted whilst I'm just about to put my last piece of rubbish in it. When I politely question them on such an action, I'm ridiculed then and on subsequent visits for being impatient and advised that I wouldn't want to argue with heavy machinery.
Viridor insist on their staff being treated courteously, I suggest they try the same with their customers.
there would be another skip open proberly next to it

jimblob

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
I'm a regular there and have never found them particularly helpful, quite the opposite in fact. I doubt they're allowed to help customers in case they either injure themselves or cause injury. Recently, one new staff member deciding to shut off a skip for it to be compacted whilst I'm just about to put my last piece of rubbish in it. When I politely question them on such an action, I'm ridiculed then and on subsequent visits for being impatient and advised that I wouldn't want to argue with heavy machinery.
Viridor insist on their staff being treated courteously, I suggest they try the same with their customers.

Newbie1

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »
I'm not sure what the policy is but staff have helped me in the past at the tip.  The website doesn't say, but you can contact them and ask what their policy is regarding assisting the public.