Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: RBS  (Read 8457 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: RBS
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »
From a personal perspective I think it’s a real shame, I’ve been with RBS for over 30 years as I like this idea of local branches. Of course things progress over years but not everyone wants to use digital banking, the hacking of thousands of British Airways accounts over the last couple of days can justify security concerns to many I am sure.
I’ve contacted the RBS (on Wednesday) and asked for what they propose as a solution to more closures especially for those who are concerned about moving banks or don’t want to go digital. At the last round of closures they suggested other local branches but these are going now. I am hoping for a reply soon and will update when one arrives.

Kind regards

Steve

andrewbowden

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 08:25:19 AM »
The problem with branch closures is - for me anyway - that you lose the ability to do the uncommon tasks face to face.  The basic functions can be done at the Post Office, yes.  But opening accounts can be trickier, and you don't have a human to talk to face to face when things go wrong.

The two things that drove me into a branch recently we're opening an account for my son (impossible to do all the steps online) and resolving a problem with a missing replacement debit card (which seemed to go very wrong.)

Yes I could have done the latter via the call centre but I have never used telephone banking, have no idea what my security details are, and so on. 

That's the kind of problem to resolve

Newbie1

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
You can do basic banking for most banks at the post office:

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services

the rover

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:36:49 AM »
I seem to recall a few years ago seeing a NWB mobile banking unit in various outlying villages which visited one day a week to each village. I think I saw this when on holiday somewhere down south, can't remember where. maybe the banks could get something sorted where they did the same but a combined vehicle covering the missing branches. The RBS and NWB could do one and park it say in the car park at the Memorial Park one day a week for a trial period to see if it was successful?

wheels

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »
The banks need to come up with more radical thinking if they are to retain a foothold in local communities. Banks operating from the same building a sort of bank heath centre or staff visiting customers at home would be another but to try and set your face against the reality of Internet banking and our preference for is is just a waste of time.

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
Doesn't the fault lay with us all who use on line banking. Quicker easier safer.

Pretty much yes.  I am not a massive visitor to my bank.

wheels

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »
Doesn't the fault lay with us all who use on line banking. Quicker easier safer.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »
Also the branches in Hazel Grove and Romiley.  The latter will now have no banks at all.

andrewbowden

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 12:41:48 PM »
Not escaped the next round of cuts though.  RBS Marple to now close in January 2019.

Cyberman

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
Poor old Stockport. M&S, RBS, what next?

amazon

RBS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »
The Marple Branch R B S survives the latest cuts but stockport Underbank closes as does Hyde .