Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: New cycle path  (Read 3004 times)

rsh

Re: New cycle path
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
Presumably horses can at least still be walked along the towpaths? The low bridges might present a bit of a problem to riding.  ;D

nbt

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »
yes, cyclists are allowed to use towpaths. I have no idea why horses are not supposed to use them, that seems rather ridiculous
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
Agreed with nbt and admin’s suggestions - the canal is the total off-road route but possibly quite a bit slower and circuitous (and puddled in places).

Coming up towards Rose Hill on the route admin posted, you can emerge on Stockport Road and immediately use the right-hand turn lane towards Middlewood Way (or the pavement and crossing), which makes it surprisingly unintimidating.

I’d then definitely recommend using Woodville Dr to climb all the way up to Hibbert Lane - quieter than Buxton Lane and somehow feels less of a climb! If you wanted to avoid traffic again, you could even then take an immediate left off Hibbert Lane (avoiding the speeding cars swerving to avoid the awful humps) and climb the hill round the back way to emerge right at the foot of Goyt Mill. Small diversions round back roads like this can really help make cycling more appealing.

Are cyclists allowed to ride on the canal bank? I know ridden horses aren't allowed. (Which seems a bit odd when you consider what the paths where originally used for).

Lynntho

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »
@rsh, @nbt  & @admin thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. Looking forward to trying out. Probably at the weekend so I can try different ways.

Lynntho

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »
Thanks Mark...thought I got a notification when this was answered. Apologies! Thanks to all going to have a good read now!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »
Just giving @Lynntho a mention as she hasn't logged in since asking the question!
That detour to avoid Hibbert Lane is a good idea @rsh
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

rsh

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:48:57 AM »
Agreed with nbt and admin’s suggestions - the canal is the total off-road route but possibly quite a bit slower and circuitous (and puddled in places).

Coming up towards Rose Hill on the route admin posted, you can emerge on Stockport Road and immediately use the right-hand turn lane towards Middlewood Way (or the pavement and crossing), which makes it surprisingly unintimidating.

I’d then definitely recommend using Woodville Dr to climb all the way up to Hibbert Lane - quieter than Buxton Lane and somehow feels less of a climb! If you wanted to avoid traffic again, you could even then take an immediate left off Hibbert Lane (avoiding the speeding cars swerving to avoid the awful humps) and climb the hill round the back way to emerge right at the foot of Goyt Mill. Small diversions round back roads like this can really help make cycling more appealing.

nbt

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »
If you want to be off road completely, then the canal is an option - you can get on the canal at Romiley (near Aldi, or push up the steps behind the Spread Eagle) and follow it past the Board Mill, over the viaduct and up to top lock, then follow the other canal round to Goyt Mill.

If you want to use the new path, then admin's suggestion is not bad, https://www.cyclestreets.net/ is not a bad planning tool although it does sometimes advise you to push your bikes where it's eminently sensible to ride

NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
The attached route going up Buxton Lane would work for you but I think it would be quieter using Woodville Drive and joining Hibbert Lane a little further up.

There is a nice footpath across the golf course from Middlewood Way that takes you right to the canal tow path and the Goyt Mill avoiding any roads but you may have trouble getting your bike over the stile and I doubt if you are allowed to ride across. If you can get over the stile then maybe pushing your bike would be acceptable as it's a very nice walk.

@CTCREP  or @CllrGeoffAbell  may be able to advise you of other options.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lynntho

New cycle path
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:30:52 PM »
I live near the Spreadeagle end of Romiley. I work in Marple. I thought I'd try to make use of the new pavement/cycle path that's been a long progress by cycling to work. I'd prefer to be mostly off road. I am aware of route 55 cycle path that takes you from Chadkirks to Rose Hill. Is there any way of getting to the canal path from there that takes you to Goyt Mill?
Thanks for any suggestions.