Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Pot Holes - Great News!! Labour commit £1m to fix holes and resurface roads  (Read 6159 times)

amazon

don't get your hopes up! they probably already spent that £1m we were promised on some more speed humps elsewhere
If there was any to spend in the first place .

jimblob

I'm hoping that these "repairs" on Church Lane were just emergency fixes. If this now listed as "done" it would be quite ridiculous because the rest of Church Lane is in a dire state. They patched the three worst areas which were opposite Union Road and the right hand edge of the speed humps which have disintegrated into gravel. However, they left all the gravel from those speed humps which has filled up all the drains, completely blocking them.

I'm hoping that they will actually do it properly sometime soon.

don't get your hopes up! they probably already spent that £1m we were promised on some more speed humps elsewhere

Howard

Last Sunday they closed Church Lane (bottom part) for the day to do repairs. They did three small areas between Union Road and the roundabout and nothing below Union Road. End of Leigh Avenue is very bad and what about the pothole outside Texaco. What happened to the old days when somebody from the Council would come out and do an inspection whilst the team were still on site?

I'm hoping that these "repairs" on Church Lane were just emergency fixes. If this now listed as "done" it would be quite ridiculous because the rest of Church Lane is in a dire state. They patched the three worst areas which were opposite Union Road and the right hand edge of the speed humps which have disintegrated into gravel. However, they left all the gravel from those speed humps which has filled up all the drains, completely blocking them.

I'm hoping that they will actually do it properly sometime soon.

amazon

i would suggest discussing with our new Councillor - as one of his campaigning points was pot holes in Compstall (I think he did a video).
The road from spring gardens compstall road up to juntion Glossop road is in terrible state. You have to drive in middle of the road if you can. All the lot wants taking up.
If the people from the councill dont know what roads need urgent repair they should find another job .

Razzle24

i would suggest discussing with our new Councillor - as one of his campaigning points was pot holes in Compstall (I think he did a video).

the rover

Last Sunday they closed Church Lane (bottom part) for the day to do repairs. They did three small areas between Union Road and the roundabout and nothing below Union Road. End of Leigh Avenue is very bad and what about the pothole outside Texaco. What happened to the old days when somebody from the Council would come out and do an inspection whilst the team were still on site?

Lily

I see there has now been a partial repair to the road surface on Stockport Road at the junction with Cross Lane.
Why, oh why, have they not done (missed) one of the potholes which is very close to the large repair?  Or, was there a good reason not to fill this particular hole?
It’s on Stockport Road just before you turn left into Cross Lane.
If someone has been paid to repair the whole area then they need to come back and finish the job.

CllrGeoffAbell

Re the surface at the junction of Cross Lane / Stockport Road, it is uneven, but not deep so does not qualify as a pothole.  The officer I spoke to said a temp repair would come unstuck and traffic management would cause more chaos after all the recent roadworks, scheduled and unscheduled.  But he said it is to be scheduled "asap". 

Update to the above - one of our regular contributors here has managed to talk to senior officers, who realise the severity of this (and other various road defects across Stockport), so I expect action sooner rather than later!

amazon

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE STOCKPORT LABOUR GROUP
20th April 2018                            FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

£1 MILLION TO FIX POTHOLES
Stockport's Labour-led Council has announced a comprehensive plan not just to fix potholes, but to resurface problem roads and prevent potholes developing – using £1million of reserves money to address problem areas across the Borough.

The plan promises to deal with the current backlog of pothole repairs, proactively resurface roads where there are a range of potholes and, through much improved computer data,  more accurately target problem roads.  This will provide a more efficient response to road maintenance and, over time, significantly reduce costs.

Cabinet Member for Housing and Communities, Cllr Sheila Bailey commented:

“This proposal will immediately deal with the backlog of pothole repairs whilst also carrying out resurfacing where it is more cost effective to do so. 

“The detailed information we now have available allows for a targeted approach with is proactive rather than reactive and provides the best possible value for money for Stockport's residents".

There's also a lot of money available for parks according to the election blurb I've had pushed through my door from the labour candidate.

chriswallis labour

Thanks Geoff, that's v helpful. And for those concerned, as it says below, because it's from the Labour group not the Council it complies with Purdah.

CllrGeoffAbell

Officers are bound by certain rules in the controlled period of an election (purdah) but political parties are not.  Otherwise their campaigns would be hampered. 
Also to be fair (typical Lib Dem!), Lib Dems started the Highways Improvement 10-year £100m plan,  the Con government recently announced a special fund to repair potholes for local authorities and the current Lab admin are actually doing something about it.

Re the surface at the junction of Cross Lane / Stockport Road, it is uneven, but not deep so does not qualify as a pothole.  The officer I spoke to said a temp repair would come unstuck and traffic management would cause more chaos after all the recent roadworks, scheduled and unscheduled.  But he said it is to be scheduled "asap".  (BTW a resident arranged to meet with a Cadent manager and 2 cllrs re gas works on Brabyns and how to do it better next time - he's taken our points away)

Newbie1

It doesn't seem quite right to me.  The council is not allowed to issue a statement like this, but the supporters of the leading party are??

andrewbowden

Does this announcement comply with those rules of Purdah?

My (rough) understanding is that because it's come from the party, not the council, it's fine.  I looked on the council website news section and couldn't see any reference to potholes recently published.  And normally you'd think it would be there.

(I must say I am just a layman and not a purdah expert!)

In an this I do hope that Stockport Road is going to get some attention with this. The drive near the Coop is getting quite bumpy.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
It is convenient timing, and thanks to Purdah (which started on the 27 March), a story that can't be released by the council.  Purdah ensuring that the council must "not publish any material which, in whole or in part, appears to be designed to affect public support for a political party."
https://www.local.gov.uk/purdah-short-guide-publicity-during-pre-election-period

Does this announcement comply with those rules of Purdah?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

Just in time for the election!!

It is convenient timing, and thanks to Purdah (which started on the 27 March), a story that can't be released by the council.  Purdah ensuring that the council must "not publish any material which, in whole or in part, appears to be designed to affect public support for a political party."
https://www.local.gov.uk/purdah-short-guide-publicity-during-pre-election-period