Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Why vote Green?  (Read 4380 times)

chriswallis labour

Re: Why vote Green?
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
@Carolyn Leather  Thanks for the clarification and I'm sorry I missed the previous post. My concern about governmental structure comes solely from a sentence or two in that doc : 'And we trust the people. We don’t want an authoritarian state, an authoritarian electoral system or an authoritarian party structure.' - which begs the question ,what sort of structure do you want? Yes let's talk at the count.

Newbie1

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »
@Chris Wallis This is a link to a summary about the Green Party's vision of a "Citizen's Democracy"

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/green-guarantee/a-citizens-democracy.html

The detailed policy can be found online if anyone is interested.  It is an evolving document. 

In summary, decisions would be made at a level as close to the  people/communities that they affect.  Local Authorities would have much more power  than they do now, and communities would be motivated to engage with politics as they would have more power in turn.

There is reference to a central government and an elected second chamber to replace the House of Lords. 

Again, this is all a vision and has little to do with the local elections.  I started this thread as I genuinely believe a Green Party councillor would be in a unique situation on the council.  They would be free to really speak out for the community that they represent, much like an independent councillor .  They would, however, always have the environment at the forefront of their mind when making decisions.

Newbie1

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
Apologies for getting your name wrong.  The article is on this thread, not far down.  It is only you and me chatting about this. 

I think we are not getting very far with this conversation.  You think a Green Government would lead to anarchy, I don't.  Either way, the Green Party currently has just one MP so how likely are we ever to have a majority government?

Are you going to the count?  I think this is an interesting conversation we could have to kill the time there!

chriswallis labour

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
That's not what I understood from the document you posted. can you put it up again? Oh and it's Wallis not Wallace, like the shop, not the hero.  :D

Newbie1

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
@Chris Wallace Unless I am mistaken, there would be a government to administer services.  I believe individuals need to be empowered and have more control over their lives, and
I think that is what other Green Party members also believe.  I feel that as a society we have become too dependent upon the "state", which simply doesn't have the resources to meet all of our needs.

chriswallis labour

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
But if there's no central administration, who supplies the services? To help others catch up you could post that letter here?

Newbie1

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
@Chris Wallis  To be honest, I can't envisage a Government led by the Green Party in my lifetime.  I am hopeful that there will be more Green councillors and Green MPs to really push the Green Agenda and our other ideas though, all of which make sense to me.  Just think what UKIP has managed to achieve...

Neither of your options are how I would envisage a country run by the Green Party.  As I said before, I envisage strong communities supported by excellent services.

chriswallis labour

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 12:14:58 PM »
Concisely, are you anticipating the breakdown of society into smaller, self managing cooperatibe units, a bit like the feudal system without the Barons, or a more general free for all, like the Wild West?

Newbie1

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »
I read this book many years ago.  It made me think about a lot of things differently:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Careless-Society-Community-Its-Counterfeits/dp/0465091261

I realise that this has nothing to do with the local elections. 

chriswallis labour

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
Hi Carolyn as I've said before in other places I'm completely in favour of a great deal of the Green agenda, in fact I think it's probably ultimately the only agfenda, the question for me is wo is best to implement it. I read that letter / article you posted on fB - it might be an idea to post it here - and the only bit that concerned me was the idea that the Greens wanted a society without any form of organised state - am I right about that? And if so, what does that society look like?

Newbie1

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
Hi Chris

This is a link to the article you refer to, which I think sums up nicely what the differences are between the Green and Labour Parties:

https://leftfootforward.org/2018/02/come-and-join-the-green-party-an-open-letter-from-jonathan-bartley-to-owen-jones/

I know you have suggested that a Green Party Government would lead to anarchy.  I disagree!  The Green Party believes strongly in individual liberty, and for me, that is the key difference between the two parties.  I've explained on here before why I initially joined the Green Party.  My daughter is severely disabled, but I wanted her to be in a mainstream school with her twin brother.  I am a member of ALLFIE (https://www.allfie.org.uk/) and believe that it is wrong to segregate disabled children in special schools.  My daughter was happy in her local school, but the pressure I was put under by the school, professionals and the Local Authority (not Stockport) to put her in a special school was immense.  I looked at all of the political parties' education policies at the time, and it was only the Green Party that supports a truly inclusive education system that would work for all children. 

For me, school is the ideal place for children to learn about people who are different to themselves, and should focus much more upon building community.  Indeed, a lot of Green Party policies are based upon the importance of empowering communities and creating a more caring society, within which people care for themselves, each other and the environment.

I was a doctor and I saw firsthand how so many people rely upon professionals for support in the absence of supportive community.  The Green Party absolutely wants to see brilliant public services accessible to all people.  Professionals have to keep their clients at arms length however and cannot form the emotional attachments that are required to improve many people's lives.  This is why Community is so important.

@CllrGeoffAbell   Face to face conversations do not irritate me at all.  I've clarified that point already. 

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
The thing is @Carolyn Leather that councillors are supposed to represent the whole community, not just garner votes.  They should care.  That's how you get to know issues too.  Although it's growing, only a small proportion of Marple people come on this website.

@Steve Gribbon has been on doorsteps since last autumn.  Other candidates in Marple N only more recently.  And if face-to-face conversations irritate you, that might be a problem for a potential councillor.

chriswallis labour

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
Hi Carolyn as I've said before in other places I'm completely in favour of a great deal of the Green agenda, in fact I think it's probably ultimately the only agfenda, the question for me is wo is best to implement it. I read that letter / article you posted on fB - it might be an idea to post it here - and the only bit that concerned me was the idea that the Greens wanted a society without any form of organised state - am I right about that? And if so, what does that society look like?

Newbie1

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
Just to clarify - it irritates me when canvassers knock on MY door.  I've been delighted when anyone has taken the time to talk to me when I've been out and about!

Newbie1

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:07:43 AM »
Good question.  The conference was excellent, and we discussed issues that I had not really contemplated before such as gender politics and climate change (women fare far more badly due to the consequences of climate change)

I don't like knocking on doors as it irritates the hell out of me personally.  My leaflets have all been distributed, I've been accessible online and we had a Green Party stall a few weeks ago in Marple. 

So maybe, maybe not