Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: A message to local election candidates  (Read 3760 times)

CllrGeoffAbell

Re: A message to local election candidates
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 09:19:33 AM »
That's really good news @Carolyn Leather  I'm pleased you've had a change of heart.

With regard to asking questions of each other (and the electorate who visit) I would recommend starting new threads on specific topics in this main board.

Candidates or visitors can do that on any relevant topic.

We know already that you are very interested in the A6 - M60 bypass and know that you are against it, so how about starting a new thread for that reiterating your views and inviting other candidates and users to say what their position is?

You can tag other candidates with a @ infront of their username like I've done in this one if you wish to draw their attention to it.

Then the others can state their position, or not if they choose. The key being not to harass them for an answer if they choose not to provide one.

We did have a similar thread during the 2016 elections here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=6836.0

One of the great things about this forum is that it encourages debate about specific topics and encourages all candidates to be able to speak out, when we will have no hustings, at least here in Marple North.  Thanks to @admin for creating that space.

I, for one, am very happy that @Carolyn Leather will take part in constructive debate.  I'm sorry I missed her stall in Marple weeks ago.  The very fact that mainstream parties are picking up (to varying degrees) on green, environmental issues is testament, in part, to her party.

Newbie1

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 04:56:28 PM »
I can't help myself - been on here banging on about the road again!  It was at the suggestion of admin however so forgive me if I'm boring you now

amazon

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
Hello Carolyn,

Welcome back, it's a good reflection that you've made.

I look forward to more of your 'banging on.'
Like that .

Newbie1

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »
Thanks Mark

I will do that

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
I've reflected upon my decision to remove myself from this forum yesterday.  In the interests of democracy, I'm going to come back.

That's really good news @Carolyn Leather  I'm pleased you've had a change of heart.

With regard to asking questions of each other (and the electorate who visit) I would recommend starting new threads on specific topics in this main board.

Candidates or visitors can do that on any relevant topic.

We know already that you are very interested in the A6 - M60 bypass and know that you are against it, so how about starting a new thread for that reiterating your views and inviting other candidates and users to say what their position is?

You can tag other candidates with a @ infront of their username like I've done in this one if you wish to draw their attention to it.

Then the others can state their position, or not if they choose. The key being not to harass them for an answer if they choose not to provide one.

We did have a similar thread during the 2016 elections here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=6836.0
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
Hello Carolyn,

Welcome back, it's a good reflection that you've made.

I look forward to more of your 'banging on.'

Newbie1

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
I've reflected upon my decision to remove myself from this forum yesterday.  In the interests of democracy, I'm going to come back.  I have banged on a lot throughout this campaign about the need for wannabe politicians to be transparent and to engage in discussion about political issues, so it is hypocritical of me to remove myself from the only remaining forum that allows such discussion.

I also think Kevin deserves someone else to talk to, and I do worry slightly Kevin that you have the potential to get barred from here!  That would make for very boring reading for anyone taking the time to check the local elections section of this forum before May 3rd.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
Admin,

Now look what you've done ?

Carolyn has spat the dummy out, I thought she had some good ideas, that carbon footprint one, was a cracker.

Then there were two, Steve and myself. You can't bar Steve, ho goes to all the pre-election meetings. I can't go, I've got too much to do. Leaflets, posters, door-knocking etc. Steve has got a small army and a load of money behind him, I've just got me, think how I feel, how would you feel if you just had me.  Not only have I got to pay for my own posters, I've got to put them up myself.     

Hi Kevin

Please allow me to clarify a couple of points if I may, but not for the sake of argument as I agree with admin about being positive and respectful with our own campaigns as I have done all the way through since I began in September.

Meetings-yes I attend meetings and I have done many and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I hope this answers your point from a few days ago asking if I could attend as I am also in the Fire Service. Personally I think it's noble of you to say you can't attend due to being busy.

Posters-So far I have put up every Lib Dems/Steve Gribbon poster in Marple North myself, it's a great place to do so, especially in the beautiful sunshine of today. I've been out in rain and sleet too, I don't mind because it's worth it. I've put a heck of a lot of work into my campaign and am proud of this.

You wouldn't really want to get rid of me would you, you'd get lonely on your own! Nice try though, I like the dry humour.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »
Thanks Howard,

I appreciate your comments.

Good-Luck in the quiz.

Are you sure that you don't wish to reconsider barring Steve?

Howard

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »
@Kevin Dowling I didn't see anyone "spitting their dummy out". As a moderator I haven't seen anything I would need to pull. Everyone seems pretty civilised so far and debate has been fairly constructive without point-scoring. It's certainly nothing like the "supermarket" days!

I'll chat to Mark at the Ringers quiz tonight, but I would just like to see people to take Mark's message in the spirit in which it was intended. Civilized, constructive debate is the order of the day.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
Admin,

Now look what you've done ?

Carolyn has spat the dummy out, I thought she had some good ideas, that carbon footprint one, was a cracker.

Then there were two, Steve and myself. You can't bar Steve, ho goes to all the pre-election meetings. I can't go, I've got too much to do. Leaflets, posters, door-knocking etc. Steve has got a small army and a load of money behind him, I've just got me, think how I feel, how would you feel if you just had me.  Not only have I got to pay for my own posters, I've got to put them up myself.     

It's difficult for me to explain why you should vote for me. The main reason is because I'm not one of the others.  I'm different, but you might say that I'm being negative, impolite, I don't mean to be.

I've got a question, there isn't any other way I can ask it, that doesn't come across as challenging - is 'challenging' o.k ?

If we've got this big Area Committee, consisting of this Lib Dem/Conservative coalition. Then why can't we solve an uncomplicated issue like the dog fouling in Memorial Park? I'll repeat myself here, the solution is litigation and enforcement not consultation. If we can't solve that simple issue, then how are we going to reconcile Marple's part in the GM Spatial Framework ?

Incidentally on that issue. You do not solve the housing need of one community by destroying the environment of another.     

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:23:31 AM »
I feel that your comments are directed to myself. 

My comments are not directed to you specifically @Carolyn Leather, they are directed at all candidates, but particularly those who have not posted recently, or at all so far.

I felt it necessary to raise it again as a separate thread so it was easier for other candidates to find when they start to visit, or revisit, rather than being buried within another thread.

The comments reflect my concern that things will kick off soon and I will be forced to consider what Marple Matters and Marple Community Hub admins had to do for their own sanity.

You have been doing fine so far and it would be a shame for you to withdraw from discussions but of course that is your prerogative to do so if you wish.

I would repeat that this thread is most definitely not directed at you personally but at all election candidates.

The discussion with Geoff is not a problem either and if he wants to know what the questions were again then it's fine for you to tell him (or not if you don't what to).

I haven't said that one cannot ask questions of other candidates. I have said don't badger and don't attack. If a candidate chooses not to answer a question then I don't expect to see them badgered for an answer at every opportunity in the way that I have seen on Facebook.

Whatever you decide to do, fight a clean fight and good luck on 3rd May!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Newbie1

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »
Dear Mark

I feel that your comments are directed to myself.  I referred to the bar chart in a recent post to Geoff Abel as it was relevant to my discussion with him.  It is old news now, I agree.  I have always wanted to answer questions when posed to me quickly and honestly.  My conversation with Geoff has been a little odd- he asked what my unanswered questions were, I told him, and then he asked again thinking there are more from a previous discussion, and there aren't.

Throughout this campaign I have wanted voters to ask questions of us candidates.  There have been few asked unfortunately and  even I am not aware of what the other candidates views are about important issues that they will have to make decisions upon if elected.  I have tried hard to find out.  The issues which are important to me now will still be important to me after the election, and I have every intention of discussing them with whomever is elected to office.  I hope that our next elected councillor will feel able to discuss issues with people with alternative viewpoints and work collaboratively with them.

I would also like to add for the record that none of my posts or comments on any forum, including this one, have been blocked or removed. 

I am going to leave this forum now as I see little point in being here when constructive discussions are threatened with closure.  Absolutely bullying should not be allowed. However,  I think it is ridiculous that you consider it wrong for potential politicians to be asked questions about their views and policies!

I will get back to you about the paint recycling/re-use scheme when I have more information. 

Anyone who does want to know more about my views or policies, please do get in touch via email (carolynleather@doctors.org.uk) or message me via Facebook (Carolyn Harries)

Regards

Carolyn Leather

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
A message to local election candidates
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
With just 2 weeks to go until polling day and interest in the elections growing, I thought it would be worth sharing this with candidates.

Two Facebook platforms - Marple Matters and Marple Community Hub - have closed their groups to political posts because contributors have caused a great deal of upset in those threads. I do not wish to close the elections section of this forum, ban anyone, have to remove posts or move then to the "Trolling and Trivia" section of the board but I and other moderators will do so if we feel it is necessary.

The guidance to avoid doing this is to remain positive, polite, respectful and non-personal. Do not badger other candidates but concentrate on telling voters what your own policies are and what you want to do for the area that you wish to represent if elected. Tell us why to vote for you, rather than why not to vote for the others. Attacks on each other, on each other's policies and each other's publicity material (we've heard enough about the barchart) will risk being moved to the Trolling and Trivia section or removed from public view by the moderators. Cyber-bullying of the kind that has caused the Marple Matters and Marple Community Hub to close their groups to political posts over the last few weeks will not be tolerated and are likely to result in individuals being banned.

It's hoped that candidates will be able to promote themselves positively while remaining within these guidelines please.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website