Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Where to recycle paint?  (Read 4681 times)

Newbie1

Re: Where to recycle paint?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 10:14:34 PM »
Not sure.  The next public tour was in Sharston in October.  You can arrange private group tours with the education department of recycle for Greater Manchester.  Perhaps you can pick a site if you wanted to go down that route??

amazon

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
This discussion has prompted me to book a place on a recycling centre tour.  For anyone else interested, here is the link:

https://recycleforgreatermanchester.com/event/manchester-education-centre-open-day-24-oct-2018-morning/

I'm told that these tours are really interesting.
Dont Bredbury do a tour .

Newbie1

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
This discussion has prompted me to book a place on a recycling centre tour.  For anyone else interested, here is the link:

https://recycleforgreatermanchester.com/event/manchester-education-centre-open-day-24-oct-2018-morning/

I'm told that these tours are really interesting.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 08:44:04 AM »
Hi Mark

You asked a few days ago if a Community Repaint scheme is an initiative that I would be interested in taking on if elected.  It is exactly the sort of thing that floats my boat so to speak!  I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you on this.  I'm still not much further forward, but I have spoken to a lady at Rose Hill who has confirmed that paint is not currently recycled and she isn't aware of any plans for a recycling scheme to be set up.  Oil based paint is put into a big container and disposed of that way, water based paint just goes in with General waste.

I've sent an email to the council to ask if they have any plans to become involved with a Community Repaint scheme. If they haven't, I'll make a more formal plea and think about the best way forward,

The Tree of Life Centre in Wythenshawe only accepts unwanted paint from shops etc.  The nearest scheme for individuals to drop off paint to be reused is Northwich.  There really is a need for this issue to be addressed in Stockport.

For the moment, it's probably worth offering free paint to people on Freecycle or other local groups before taking it to the Recycling Centre.

I'll let you know once I get a reply from the council.  It's also crossed my mind that someone from the local Green Party may know of a local scheme that will recycle paint, so I'll ask in our forum.

Regards

Carolyn Leather
Green Party Candidate for Marple North

That's excellent Carolyn. Just picking up on one point though - the paint I took was oil-based but I couldn't find anywhere special to put it so asked an operative - he didn't ask what it was, just told me to put it in the non-recycle skip. So if there should be something different done with oil based paint then the operatives are not clued up about that.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Newbie1

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 08:30:37 AM »
Hi Mark

You asked a few days ago if a Community Repaint scheme is an initiative that I would be interested in taking on if elected.  It is exactly the sort of thing that floats my boat so to speak!  I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you on this.  I'm still not much further forward, but I have spoken to a lady at Rose Hill who has confirmed that paint is not currently recycled and she isn't aware of any plans for a recycling scheme to be set up.  Oil based paint is put into a big container and disposed of that way, water based paint just goes in with General waste.

I've sent an email to the council to ask if they have any plans to become involved with a Community Repaint scheme. If they haven't, I'll make a more formal plea and think about the best way forward,

The Tree of Life Centre in Wythenshawe only accepts unwanted paint from shops etc.  The nearest scheme for individuals to drop off paint to be reused is Northwich.  There really is a need for this issue to be addressed in Stockport.

For the moment, it's probably worth offering free paint to people on Freecycle or other local groups before taking it to the Recycling Centre.

I'll let you know once I get a reply from the council.  It's also crossed my mind that someone from the local Green Party may know of a local scheme that will recycle paint, so I'll ask in our forum.

Regards

Carolyn Leather
Green Party Candidate for Marple North

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
I took a partially used paint tin to Rose Hill yesterday and when I asked I was told to put it in the non-recycle-able skip.

There is a sign on this that says the contents will be burned to create green energy.

It would be better if there was a reuse scheme that could be accessed.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
I was at marple recycling centre today, disposing of some stale petrol.  Unless I missed it, there is no separate paint area so paint will be safely disposed of, presumably in the hazardous waste cupboard where I had to put said petrol.

I spent a few curious minutes on Google and couldn't find a proper reference to actually recycling paint - just using spare paint or disposal of it.
That not what i was told i did ask .

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »
I was at marple recycling centre today, disposing of some stale petrol.  Unless I missed it, there is no separate paint area so paint will be safely disposed of, presumably in the hazardous waste cupboard where I had to put said petrol.

I spent a few curious minutes on Google and couldn't find a proper reference to actually recycling paint - just using spare paint or disposal of it.

Thanks Andrew

I will see if I can get over tomorrow and have a chat with the plant workers, I will try and get some clarification.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

andrewbowden

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 11:09:02 PM »
Is it recycled or just disposed of (safely)? The advice on the site Steve provided a link for says "You can take paint cans to your local Recycling Centre for safe disposal. Or you could donate leftover paint to a local reuse scheme. It would be better if we had somewhere that it could go to a reuse scheme nearby. At 9 miles Tree of Life is a lot closer but I wouldn't fancy an 18 mile round trip to do it.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »
Is it recycled or just disposed of (safely)? The advice on the site Steve provided a link for says "You can take paint cans to your local Recycling Centre for safe disposal. Or you could donate leftover paint to a local reuse scheme. It would be better if we had somewhere that it could go to a reuse scheme nearby. At 9 miles Tree of Life is a lot closer but I wouldn't fancy an 18 mile round trip to do it.

I agree Mark, somewhere closer would be better both environmentally for travelling and a help for the area. That's why the first place I thought of was Marple Hall School, they may use paint for projects, lessons etc. I will make an initial contact and see what they say, I am sure there must be places in our area which would benefit from paint supplies.

Kind regards

Steve

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 06:17:40 PM »
Good to hear from you as always Amazon

That's a valid point of course, it's still good news that it can be recycled there.

Have a great weekend.

Steve

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
They do acept paint through .but you have to keep it seperate Gloss one place emulsion another .

Good to hear from you as always Amazon

That's a valid point of course, it's still good news that it can be recycled there.

Have a great weekend.

Steve

amazon

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
Good morning

This is a really good positive idea. I've had a look on the website www.recycleforgreatermanchester.com and it looks like (unless this has changed) the recycle plant at Marple does accept paint for recycling, and this is the same for the plant in Bredbury (near the motorway roundabout).

As for a reuse scheme, the 'Tree of life' centre in Wythenshawe (M23 2UE) is a closer alternative at 9 miles, but I agree that we could do something here to help, perhaps an initiative to donate to somewhere like Marple Hall School. Nonetheless it is a worthwhile idea and well worth further research.

Kind regards and I hope my reply has helped.

Steve Gribbon.
They do acept paint through .but you have to keep it seperate Gloss one place emulsion another .

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:38:03 AM »

Good morning

This is a really good positive idea. I've had a look on the website www.recycleforgreatermanchester.com and it looks like (unless this has changed) the recycle plant at Marple does accept paint for recycling, and this is the same for the plant in Bredbury (near the motorway roundabout).

As for a reuse scheme, the 'Tree of life' centre in Wythenshawe (M23 2UE) is a closer alternative at 9 miles, but I agree that we could do something here to help, perhaps an initiative to donate to somewhere like Marple Hall School. Nonetheless it is a worthwhile idea and well worth further research.

Kind regards and I hope my reply has helped.

Steve Gribbon.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 05:57:58 AM »
  Try comunity repaint  put you post code in it will tell you nearest . its all on the internet info it only wants looking for .

This looks like a great scheme but unfortunately the nearest collection point is 20 miles away in Northwich:

https://communityrepaint.org.uk/i-have-leftover-paint/give-leftover-paint-new-life/

They do provide a standard letter for people to write to their local authority and perhaps this would be worth doing.

Maybe an initiative one of our new local councillors would take on if elected in a few weeks time?

@Steve Gribbon   @Carolyn Leather   @ColinMac  @ChrisGleeson   @chriswallis labour   @yvonnecollier   @Kevin Dowling 

Dear [NAME],

Following a recent spring clean I found that I had a number of tins of domestic paint many of which were either part or nearly full.  Hence, as a resident of [BOROUGH/COUNTY] I contacted yourselves/ visited [NAME OF] household waste and recycling centre to dispose of them and was disappointed to be told/ find that we have no choice but to simply throw this paint away despite it being in a perfectly usable condition.

Whilst looking for alternatives I found that in other authorities it is possible to pass this paint on for reuse, through the Community RePaint netwok (www.communityrepaint.org.uk). As this seems to offer a solution which is better for the environment and according to the Community RePaint website, also offers social and economic benefits, I wondered if there are any plans for [LOCAL AUTHORITY] to work with the Community RePaint network to provide a sustainable alternative to paint disposal?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website