Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Footpaths  (Read 10329 times)

Dave

Re: Footpaths
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »

it's a flat boring surface

Having walked along that track for many years, I'd much rather be 'bored' by the surface than struggle to pick my way though (or round) mud and potholes!

But then I guess people will always find something to complain about  ::)

nbt

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »
The council didn't do it, the work was funded by the flood relief fund folowing the damage in the storms. "brilliant" also depends on your point of view - most walkers I've spoken to think t['s great, but looking objectively =  it's a flat boring surface made of recycled plastics (as per the contractors doing the job, who also told us about the funding) - the plastics will degrade and end up in our waterways, the smooth surface might encourage faster speeds from cyclists and lead to perceived trail conflict on a trail that isn't really wide enough, and the smooth surface is not brilliant for horses shod with metal shoes as it's somewhat slippy. Two sides to every story.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Dave

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
The council have done a brilliant job resurfacing that stretch of bridleway around Windybottom, and also the bridleway between the Roman Bridge and Strines Road.  Let's hope we get more of the same in future, as resources allow (it can't be cheap!)

rsh

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
Thank you for all the replies but I urgently need to know if anyone has walked alongside the river from Roman Lakes towards Strines in the last month or so and has seen the foot[path upgrading.  If you haven't it is worth going just to see what is going on. However I suspect the work has been halted before it was finished - a pity really,  but if my memory is correct then some of the work has been undone to avoid whoever was responsible for it being reprimanded for excessive waste of money.  I seem to remember a large arc of the new surfacing opposite Windybottom Farm which has now been dug up and replaced by stones, but I could be wrong.

Been down there today, having first had a look in early April. I think you could be right about the big area of stones opposite the farmhouse - I don't remember it looking like that originally, but didn't take a photo then.

I also noticed the very narrow path coming down the hill has now suddenly been given several little "passing places", which is good. There was no sign of these before so I wonder if they only realised you'd never be able to pass a horse on a bike after it was built?  ::)

Meanwhile the smooth path ends abruptly as you reach the river and you're turfed back onto the potholes of the Roman Lakes, which is a bit disappointing and makes it all look like even more of a wildly-over-engineered expensive way to just fix a muddy patch.

Lily

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
Hi Amazon,
Yes, you are quite correct regarding the installation of a new footbridge over the canal.  (Sorry for the delay in my response, I have been on holiday and have only just had chance to check it out.)
I would guess though (and I am only guessing) that it has been installed/funded by the canal and riverboat trust, rather than the council, while they were doing their lock refurbishment.
It looks like it is primarily for boaters using the locks as there isn’t a laid out footpath up to the bridge.
However, if people want to use the bridge, by walking over grass, then at least it saves crossing or walking along the road to stay on the ‘Lockside’ side of the road.
Lily.

CTCREP

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
Thank you for all the replies but I urgently need to know if anyone has walked alongside the river from Roman Lakes towards Strines in the last month or so and has seen the foot[path upgrading.  If you haven't it is worth going just to see what is going on. However I suspect the work has been halted before it was finished - a pity really,  but if my memory is correct then some of the work has been undone to avoid whoever was responsible for it being reprimanded for excessive waste of money.  I seem to remember a large arc of the new surfacing opposite Windybottom Farm which has now been dug up and replaced by stones, but I could be wrong.

amazon

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
Thanks Amazon.
I’ll have a walk up there as soon as I get chance. I really didn’t know they had put another footbridge in.
Lily.
only just gone in .

Lily

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 09:19:48 PM »
Thanks Amazon.
I’ll have a walk up there as soon as I get chance. I really didn’t know they had put another footbridge in.
Lily.

amazon

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
Hello Amazon,

The footbridge I think you are talking about, alongside the road bridge, over the canal at the top of Oldknow Road (near The Navigation pub) has been there for many, many, many years. 
I’m sure someone will come on here and say how long it’s been there.
The work that has been going on at that end of Marple has been on the canal. They have been replacing some lock gates (I think) and also improving the towpath.

Lily.
have a walk tomorrow and look .at the new one oposite side

Lily

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
Hello Amazon,

The footbridge I think you are talking about, alongside the road bridge, over the canal at the top of Oldknow Road (near The Navigation pub) has been there for many, many, many years. 
I’m sure someone will come on here and say how long it’s been there.
The work that has been going on at that end of Marple has been on the canal. They have been replacing some lock gates (I think) and also improving the towpath.

Lily.

amazon

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
Hello Amazon

Can you please repeat your reply. Part of your comment came with your quote from my previous reply and is incomplete.  Please state precisely where the footbridge is at the top of Marple.

I guess you didn't get as far as Windybottom Farm but if anyone can confirm that the  Windybottom section has been resurfaced and then changed in the last week or so  it would be very helpful for me with my negotiations with the Council.
sorry i do get confused myself top of oldknow road were the road goes over the canal they have just put a footpath bridge in .

CTCREP

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
Hello Amazon

Can you please repeat your reply. Part of your comment came with your quote from my previous reply and is incomplete.  Please state precisely where the footbridge is at the top of Marple.

I guess you didn't get as far as Windybottom Farm but if anyone can confirm that the  Windybottom section has been resurfaced and then changed in the last week or so  it would be very helpful for me with my negotiations with the Council.

amazon

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
I have been talking to the Council about the Roman Bridge to Strines area and have just revisited it.

When walking from Strines the new surface doesn’t go as far as Roman Bridge but some work has been done that, to me, looks as though they had started to prepare the ground for resurfacing but have not completed it.

I also seem to remember that at Windybottom Farm there was an enormous “turning area” with the new surface. If I am right then this has been reduced and the remainder replaced with stones.

Can anyone confirm this view.

Thanks

Nice footpath bridge just been instaled top of Marple were the road is .need one like this at compstall ...

Message tidied up - Howard

CTCREP

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
I have been talking to the Council about the Roman Bridge to Strines area and have just revisited it.

When walking from Strines the new surface doesn’t go as far as Roman Bridge but some work has been done that, to me, looks as though they had started to prepare the ground for resurfacing but have not completed it.

I also seem to remember that at Windybottom Farm there was an enormous “turning area” with the new surface. If I am right then this has been reduced and the remainder replaced with stones.

Can anyone confirm this view.

Thanks

ringi

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 10:58:28 PM »
A councillor’s position is to  reflect the opinions of the residents not his own opinion of what he thinks best.

Disagree, I vote for a councillor’s as I expect them to have a better-enformed opinion then I have.