A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Kevin Dowling: Independent Candidate for Marple North  (Read 23160 times)

K.C.Dowling

Re: Kevin Dowling: Independent Candidate for Marple North
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »
Recently moved into the area

Really, where from ? Welcome to Marple.

Post your name and address, I'll send you a campaign leaflet.

Digster

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »
Whatever I say 'Digster,' and whatever people think of it, they know who is saying it, because my name and photo is on it.

Unlike yourself.

Just joined the forum eh?  Just in time for the election, highly suspicious if you ask me, Libdem or Tory?
Recently moved into the area

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »
Whatever I say 'Digster,' and whatever people think of it, they know who is saying it, because my name and photo is on it.

Unlike yourself.

Just joined the forum eh?  Just in time for the election, highly suspicious if you ask me, Libdem or Tory?

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:49 AM »
Right back at you Kevin :)

Hello Admin,

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank-you for working both hard and creatively in providing and managing this forum. Without which this public interchange of views on a very important local issue would not be taking place.

Digster

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »
Good-Morning Everybody

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your prompt and eloquent reply to my question about you being able to carry out the dual full- time roles of Firefighter and local councillor.

1400 doors eh? The householders must be thrilled.

I don't for one minute, doubt your sincerity and your theorized commitment.  However, your self delusion in believing that you can do both jobs is amazing. You will no doubt be equally amazed and disappointed to know that I will not be voting for you.

Can I count on your vote?
Just for once do you think you can either answer a question/post a comment without having a dig at somebody/something please?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 07:24:02 AM »
If I didn't know you better, I would think that you were just trying to cause mischief. Anyway I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Right back at you Kevin :)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 07:19:04 AM »
Good-Morning Everybody

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your prompt and eloquent reply to my question about you being able to carry out the dual full- time roles of Firefighter and local councillor.

1400 doors eh? The householders must be thrilled.

I don't for one minute, doubt your sincerity and your theorized commitment.  However, your self delusion in believing that you can do both jobs is amazing. You will no doubt be equally amazed and disappointed to know that I will not be voting for you.

Can I count on your vote?

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:18 PM »
Councillor Geoff,

I write to you, not in criticism in any way of either you or the council, but because you are the only serving local councillor who gives us any information on this forum.

Condate was asking about... 'Where is the money for potholes was coming from?' So I thought that I would follow up, his valid concern.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, this is my question. The exact date eludes me, but I think that it was some time in 2015. The Council was considering taking on  what it described as 'Providential Borrowings.' It was a large sum ( I think £50 million was the figure) and this sum was to be used exclusively for repairs to the roads and footpath network across the borough. I believe that it was on an invest to save basis, the theory being that once the network had been raised to a certain standard, the money could be recouped by drawing back on the endless road maintenance programme. 

What actually happened with this?   

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 05:34:57 PM »
Jimblob, of course you think it's 'bizarre.'  You are used to those trite mantras that are trotted out as National Party Dogma. When you hear something different it sounds 'bizarre.' I though, am not bound by such fetters.  I can tell the truth as I see it.  If their candidates said what I said, then their nominations would be withdrawn at Head Office.

If you have decided not to vote, then that's your decision not mine and it is probably the right one for you.

Look at poor old Condate, no wonder he huffs and puffs on this site. He hasn't even got the opportunity to vote for anybody that isn't National Party fodder, you could be in his position.   

Condate

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »

Is it not very obvious what my position is, on issues such as 'traffic congestion' and potholes ? Do you think that I would argue for more potholes ? I don't really have the time nor the inclination to answer such questions. As for 'hoping to win votes,' I have no such aspirations. In fact, if I were to win this election, in a lot of ways, it would be greatly disadvantageous to me.

I have said it many times. All I am doing is giving the electorate of North Marple the opportunity to vote for an independent candidate. Obviously, I'll approach the task in a positive way but the opportunity itself is good enough for me. If you or anybody else wishes they wish to vote for the same old coalition, then, that's up to them. In another three years time we'll still be complaining about dog-pooh in the park but I will have kept my promise, by standing.       

I'm in Marple South and so couldn't vote for you anyway. It's not at all obvious what your position is on potholes or traffic congestion. At least not on how you think the problems can be addressed and where the money to solve them will come from. I'd love to vote for an independent candidate, as I agree that party politics is ruining local government. However, I wouldn't vote for any candidate without knowing what their ideas are on how to solve the many problems councils face.

As I say, I think we need independent councillors, but independent councillors with clearly set out plans on how to tackle the issues facing the electorate.

jimblob

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
Well I have to say that's the post bizarre response ever. "As for 'hoping to win votes,' I have no such aspirations"
I've no party allegiance, I'm certainly not a Lib Dem supporter, definitely not Labour and was genuinely looking for an alternative to the political mainstream. Sadly, Kevin I think you've probably convinced me not to vote at all.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »

but more importantly, how you think you can make a difference and what you'll actually do differently to the current elected Councillors.
If you're hoping to win votes, there's a distinct lack of substance to date as to why you consider yourself to be "the independent Councillor Marple North needs.
[/quote]

Jimblob, I think that we are at variancce here,  a couple of points.

What IS  your actual address. Are you working for the Lib-Dems or the Tories?

Is it not very obvious what my position is, on issues such as 'traffic congestion' and potholes ? Do you think that I would argue for more potholes ? I don't really have the time nor the inclination to answer such questions. As for 'hoping to win votes,' I have no such aspirations. In fact, if I were to win this election, in a lot of ways, it would be greatly disadvantageous to me.

I have said it many times. All I am doing is giving the electorate of North Marple the opportunity to vote for an independent candidate. Obviously, I'll approach the task in a positive way but the opportunity itself is good enough for me. If you or anybody else wishes they wish to vote for the same old coalition, then, that's up to them. In another three years time we'll still be complaining about dog-pooh in the park but I will have kept my promise, by standing.       

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »
In my view fair enough asked Andrew and I hope that you will agree,fair enough answered.

andrewbowden

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
I am the 'proprietor' Andrew.

I have people to run it for me. I don't have to be there. In fact as we speak now, I am in another country.

That's a perfectly fine answer.  Obviously not all proprietors of businesses do likewise, hence I didn't feel that was an assumption anyone could make automatically.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 11:45:38 AM »
Well, all I can say Steve, is that on both occasions  we must not have made a lasting impression on each other.

Anyway whilst we are speaking, I've got a question for you. Which I ask in the politest way I know how and which I ask in an objective way and not in a challenging way.

Being a local councillor, at least doing the job properly, is a full-time demanding role and  not the part-time situation some think it is. Councillors need to be available at all times. Being a councillor and working in a full time career are just not reconciled. Your two ward colleagues are testimony to this. Do you plan to manage both and how do you think that you can do this. How can you be in two places at once. How do you plan to attend both the fire and the meeting with the dog-warden.

Perhaps you are retiring from the fire service - do tell.

Hi Kevin

I take no offence in you not remembering me from the Hustings and from 2 weeks ago. We actually spoke at length at the Hustings and I thought we got on very well but like I said no offence taken.

I am happy to answer about my employment as indeed this was asked at our Hustings. I have no problem with doing both roles, I am very lucky in that my work have confirmed I am allowed time off to attend meetings as it in in our work time policy. Because I work shifts I know exactly when my time in and time off is and I can plan well in advance. I can offer evidence to this on the basis that since I began my campaign I personally have knocked on over 1400 doors (I have just come in now from being out meeting people), attended many local meetings and took part in activities. This to me is part of being a Councillor. I am fully aware it is not 'regular hours' and again my helping people out in the evening is evidence of this.

I haven't just started my campaign, I have been working hard since September last year which I hope is more proof that I have the time to do the role. I have provided regular updates on my activities in the area on this site. I am proud of this fact and it is testimony to the wonderful place we live that I want to be involved as much as possible.

For the last 4 years I have also run a small business with no problem. Please be aware that all my work in this business has stopped since my campaign began, and should I be elected the entire operation will be closed down as my being a Councillor is 100% priority. I also pride myself on having drive, energy and ambition and that is why I am very confident that I can perform a role in local Council with no issues. I am not going into this blindly, I have discussed this with my family, my employers and other Councillors and all of this has made me understand that the representing our community is exactly what I want to do. 

My planned retirement is in 2022, when I will be 50 years of age.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon