Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Kevin Dowling: Independent Candidate for Marple North  (Read 23176 times)

K.C.Dowling

Re: Kevin Dowling: Independent Candidate for Marple North
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
I am the 'proprietor' Andrew.

I have people to run it for me. I don't have to be there. In fact as we speak now, I am in another country. 

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
So tell us why voting for you will make a difference Kevin, that's what we want to hear. I don't care if you know the other candidates or not. What I would like know is how will you un-stagnate Marple?

And I would love to know how you would resolve the dog in the park if you were elected too.....

If I didn't know you better, I would think that you were just trying to cause mischief. Anyway I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Of course you don't care if I know the other candidates or not you don't live in Marple North, you vote in Marple South. However, I do and I also have a business there. The  identity of a potential councillor is important to the electorate.

As for the dog pooh, see my recent post.   

andrewbowden

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
Anyway whilst we are speaking, I've got a question for you. Which I ask in the politest way I know how and which I ask in an objective way and not in a challenging way.

Being a local councillor, at least doing the job properly, is a full-time demanding role and  not the part-time situation some think it is. Councillors need to be available at all times. Being a councillor and working in a full time career are just not reconciled. Your two ward colleagues are testimony to this. Do you plan to manage both and how do you think that you can do this. How can you be in two places at once. How do you plan to attend both the fire and the meeting with the dog-warden.

Perhaps you are retiring from the fire service - do tell.

I think if you're going to ask a question like that Kevin, it's only fair how you would plan to do it yourself as a proprietor of a business.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
Kevin, that's not very fair. We met and both went for the Lib Dems Councillor candidacy in 2016 and we wished each other all the best in the Samuel Oldknow pub 2 weeks ago!

Kind regards

Steve

Well, all I can say Steve, is that on both occasions  we must not have made a lasting impression on each other.

Anyway whilst we are speaking, I've got a question for you. Which I ask in the politest way I know how and which I ask in an objective way and not in a challenging way.

Being a local councillor, at least doing the job properly, is a full-time demanding role and  not the part-time situation some think it is. Councillors need to be available at all times. Being a councillor and working in a full time career are just not reconciled. Your two ward colleagues are testimony to this. Do you plan to manage both and how do you think that you can do this. How can you be in two places at once. How do you plan to attend both the fire and the meeting with the dog-warden.

Perhaps you are retiring from the fire service - do tell.   

jimblob

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
Hi Kevin,
quite simple really, you've made statements about the current political balance in Marple and it's ineffectiveness, "Councillors just have to turn up". You've stated Marple has stagnated in recent years, you've had a pop at other candidates, but you've not stated your position on: -
speed measures
local traffic schemes
Hazel Grove / M60 bypass
traffic congestion
potholes
bringing investment into Marple
how to deal with Stockport council officers to the benefit or Marple rather that just blame them or battle with them

just a few local contentious issues...
but more importantly, how you think you can make a difference and what you'll actually do differently to the current elected Councillors.
If you're hoping to win votes, there's a distinct lack of substance to date as to why you consider yourself to be "the independent Councillor Marple North needs.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
Steve and yourself did talk - I was there!  (Not that we just talk politics down the local, do we Kevin?)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
In my own particular instance, a main motivation in standing for this election, is that I have observed how over the last few years Marple has stagnated. There are of course many reasons for this, very little is singular. However, a major reason, for my own participation, is the local political situation that exists and prevails. The current party coalition that presides over our ward, knows that all it has to do to preserve electoral loyalty is to just turn up at various meetings. If this situation doesn't change, then neither will the stagnation. Anything we ask of the council we are politely told  '...no money...' and we politely accept this and go away. Your own recent, almost heartbreaking, story about the dog pooh day in the park, is testimony to this polite acceptance.

So tell us why voting for you will make a difference Kevin, that's what we want to hear. I don't care if you know the other candidates or not. What I would like know is how will you un-stagnate Marple?

And I would love to know how you would resolve the dog in the park if you were elected too.....
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »

I wouldn't know the Lib Dem candidate if he knocked on my door tonight. All I know about him is that he is a serving firefighter. I don't know anything about the 'paper candidate' who has been put forward by the Conservatives. One of these could soon be our councillor.

Kevin, that's not very fair. We met and both went for the Lib Dems Councillor candidacy in 2016 and we wished each other all the best in the Samuel Oldknow pub 2 weeks ago!

Kind regards

Steve

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Hello Admin,

I read with interest, your recent response to Carolyn, in relation to conduct on the Forum. Many of your points are well made and worthy of mention. There is though ( I am sure you will agree) a fine line between setting conduct boundaries and dictating the way people should speak. In particular example of this, is your observation, insisting that candidates 'concentrate' on extolling our own virtues and desist from criticising our opponents.

In my own particular instance, a main motivation in standing for this election, is that I have observed how over the last few years Marple has stagnated. There are of course many reasons for this, very little is singular. However, a major reason, for my own participation, is the local political situation that exists and prevails. The current party coalition that presides over our ward, knows that all it has to do to preserve electoral loyalty is to just turn up at various meetings. If this situation doesn't change, then neither will the stagnation. Anything we ask of the council we are politely told  '...no money...' and we politely accept this and go away. Your own recent, almost heartbreaking, story about the dog pooh day in the park, is testimony to this polite acceptance.

Only last week I received yet another Lib Dem Leaflet,  the opening sentence proclaiming the election to be a 'close run' fight between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives.

I wouldn't know the Lib Dem candidate if he knocked on my door tonight. All I know about him is that he is a serving firefighter. I don't know anything about the 'paper candidate' w ho has been put forward by the Conservatives. One of these could soon be our councillor.

So, I think that I am entitled to ask some questions. I will strive to be polite but I do not intend to be obsequious.   

Perhaps the time has arrived for more candour, from everybody, not just candidates. 

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »
I also wondered the same jimblob.  Plus, for me, his posts seem really harsh.  He was wished well by Carolyn Leather but had to had a swipe before thanking her.  Chris Wallis asked a question and rather than reply had a swipe at him also.  I realise that sometimes emails etc. can come across quite different than was intended but the posts do not sound great.

There seems to be some confusion here. It is easy to understand how this has occurred: Two candidates both for Labour and both called Chris. My question was to Chris Gleeson not Chris Wallis. Chris Gleeson is standing in Marple North, yet posts his address as: 1 Pleachway, Heaton Mersey. I wondered as to his/her Marple connection? 

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
Hello jimblob,

Not quite sure what you mean exactly, by your recent post. More than happy to respond if you clarify.

Will L

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
That is the issue here. We know we'd be voting for an independent candidate who lives and works in the ward as do a couple other candidates on the ballot. We don't actually know what you'd seek to do for Marple in the event of you winning.

K.C.Dowling

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 07:09:19 AM »
Let's keep a sense of perspective here.

What I am offering to the voters of Marple North only, is an opportunity to vote for an independent candidate who works and lives in the ward.

Other than that, I make no claims, other than those in my recent submission, which is on this thread a few posts down from this one. 

If you wish to vote for me then your vote is most welcome and greatly appreciated, if you don't then that's fine. 

Condate

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »
Hi Kevin,
I'm intrigued to understand what you manifesto actually is. It reads as to why we should note vote for a candidate aligned to a mainstream party but doesn't state anywhere what you actually stand for it intend to do?

Indeed so. Personally, I'd much rather vote for an independent candidate and am reluctant to vote for any candidate who gives a party allegiance (although I'm in Marple South). Indeed, I'd rather every councillor was an independent. However, I'm never going to vote for a candidate simply on the grounds that they are an independent. I need to know what exactly their views are on a range of issues. It's always the specific views of the candidates that matters; not their party label or lack thereof.

Digster

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
Hi Kevin,
I'm intrigued to understand what you manifesto actually is. It reads as to why we should note vote for a candidate aligned to a mainstream party but doesn't state anywhere what you actually stand for it intend to do?

I also wondered the same jimblob.  Plus, for me, his posts seem really harsh.  He was wished well by Carolyn Leather but had to had a swipe before thanking her.  Chris Wallis asked a question and rather than reply had a swipe at him also.  I realise that sometimes emails etc. can come across quite different than was intended but the posts do not sound great.