Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Compstall Bridge  (Read 4433 times)

amazon

Re: Compstall Bridge
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 11:42:38 AM »
Thanks, I shall, however in the meantime I have had an update from Councillor Allen saying the Council have completed their design and are just waiting for their Conservation Officer to sign off on their proposals, then they can apply for permission to go ahead from the Environment Agency. Once that is done then they only have one problem to consider.  It is the Fish Breeding Season so they can't start work until this is over.  There is absolutely no consideration for the lives of people who wish to cross Compstall Bridge.[/u
Come on Councillors start bringing Stockport Council to their senses.
WHAT A JOKE .

CTCREP

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
Thanks, I shall, however in the meantime I have had an update from Councillor Allen saying the Council have completed their design and are just waiting for their Conservation Officer to sign off on their proposals, then they can apply for permission to go ahead from the Environment Agency. Once that is done then they only have one problem to consider.  It is the Fish Breeding Season so they can't start work until this is over.  There is absolutely no consideration for the lives of people who wish to cross Compstall Bridge.[/u
Come on Councillors start bringing Stockport Council to their senses.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
Re Compstall Community Council.  I found two Compstall Community Council Web Sites, one the latest news was for 2016, and the other appears to be a Facebook Page.   I am not a person terrified of using the Internet however I do object to having to use Facebook with all its problems in order to get information.  Multiple Forums create the ideal Divide and Rule conditions that Stockport MBC no doubt relishes.
You need to try and contack a man called mike malby .ask at the Andrews pub .

CTCREP

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
Re Compstall Community Council.  I found two Compstall Community Council Web Sites, one the latest news was for 2016, and the other appears to be a Facebook Page.   I am not a person terrified of using the Internet however I do object to having to use Facebook with all its problems in order to get information.  Multiple Forums create the ideal Divide and Rule conditions that Stockport MBC no doubt relishes.

CTCREP

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the Info re Forums, but does it not show the lack of understanding of some of our Council Officials if he is discussing matters relating to Compstall with the wrong Forum.

corium

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »

He also says he is working closely with Marple Neighbourhood Forum. I have just looked at their Web Site and it appears to be solely about Marple Town, which only confirms my belief that Compstall is the forgotten outpost of Stockport.

He has named the wrong forum There is a separate group working on a neighbourhood forum covering compstall, marple bridge, mellor etc. The Compstall community council (may have got this name slightly wrong) has reps involved with this

amazon

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »
I have just received an email from Mark Glynn, Stockport MBC Strategic Head of Place Management, who basically says any change to the access over the River Etherow would involve altering a Grade 2 Listed Bridge which isn’t allowed.

HE MAKES NO MENTION OF A SEPARATE PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE!!! which was the subject of my original email to the council

He also says he is working closely with Marple Neighbourhood Forum. I have just looked at their Web Site and it appears to be solely about Marple Town, which only confirms my belief that Compstall is the forgotten outpost of Stockport.
Agree it is. sometimes wonder if the council nows there is a compstall .

CTCREP

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
I have just received an email from Mark Glynn, Stockport MBC Strategic Head of Place Management, who basically says any change to the access over the River Etherow would involve altering a Grade 2 Listed Bridge which isn’t allowed.

HE MAKES NO MENTION OF A SEPARATE PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE!!! which was the subject of my original email to the council

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »
I agree with RSH, I can't imagine anyone objecting to an additional bridge.  I do know that the previous time the Bridge was repaired, the contractors had to source a specific type of mortar.  That shouldn't be much of a holdup, but this is a more extensive repair so there may be some excuse for the delay, but I doubt it.

I sometimes think Compstall is the forgotten outpost of the Borough, it is now over a week since this post was started and no Councillor has even acknowledged that the problem exists.

rsh

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »
I’d be surprised if anyone objected to such a sensible idea! The bridge is Grade II listed early C19, but so too is Number 2 bridge on the Macclesfield Canal (Ring O Bells) which has had a very useful footbridge alongside.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1242008
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1242140

The built areas either side of the bridge are hardly full of beauty so any works to mitigate the thundering traffic should be welcomed. As well as simply allowing residents to cross the river without possibly needing to crossing the road twice, it’d link perfectly with the footpath along the river. The idea of doing it alongside actually mending the hole in the bridge is great!

What happened to the planned housing development next to the bridge? That could be a source of funding.

Other than that, it just needs people to actually raise the issue and get someone with the relevant authority to champion it through. Any local councillors up for it?

amazon

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »
Amazon said - "theres bound to be objections to a permanent walkway from the conservationists" I have since been told that Conservation Issues may be holding up proceedings  -  Compstall Bridge is a Grade 2 construction.

It is to be hoped that the Council's attitude to Conservation will recognise that preserving pedestrians' lives  is just as important as preserving a bridge.  As to any possible suggestion that a footbridge would detract from the original design, the Council was never bothered about destroying the outline of the Iron Bridge in Brabyns Park, nor in creating a totally over-engineered footbridge across the River Goyt at Chadkirk.
Do you no if its the councill that are against ,may be the civic society

CTCREP

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
Amazon said - "theres bound to be objections to a permanent walkway from the conservationists" I have since been told that Conservation Issues may be holding up proceedings  -  Compstall Bridge is a Grade 2 construction.

It is to be hoped that the Council's attitude to Conservation will recognise that preserving pedestrians' lives  is just as important as preserving a bridge.  As to any possible suggestion that a footbridge would detract from the original design, the Council was never bothered about destroying the outline of the Iron Bridge in Brabyns Park, nor in creating a totally over-engineered footbridge across the River Goyt at Chadkirk.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 12:19:47 PM »
There may well be a case for a pedestrian crossing near the wine shop, but that is a separate issue that I believe is being dealt with elsewhere.

As for the Conservation argument, then it is up to the Conservationists to state their case. I would hope they would recognise the benefits of a new pedestrian bridge.

Personally my opinion is that catering for pedestrians in an era where dozens of cars can be passing at 30 mph is more important than objecting to an additional bridge linking to path beside a derelict building. A pedestrian bridge that would also alleviate the problem of the single person width path which is the only link between Marple Bridge and Compstall.

Can our Councillors tell us what is happening? I know there are Facebook links to Local Council business, but recent events show that more people are becoming wary of Facebook and do not wish to join.
i am not against a pedestrian bridge just stating it will be exelent was just stating theres bound to be objections to a permanent walkway from the conservationists .please dont think im agaist every thing im not i live not far from there and use etherow park a lot and have to walk as you say we need some thing better to cross the bridge ,

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
There may well be a case for a pedestrian crossing near the wine shop, but that is a separate issue that I believe is being dealt with elsewhere.

As for the Conservation argument, then it is up to the Conservationists to state their case. I would hope they would recognise the benefits of a new pedestrian bridge.

Personally my opinion is that catering for pedestrians in an era where dozens of cars can be passing at 30 mph is more important than objecting to an additional bridge linking to path beside a derelict building. A pedestrian bridge that would also alleviate the problem of the single person width path which is the only link between Marple Bridge and Compstall.

Can our Councillors tell us what is happening? I know there are Facebook links to Local Council business, but recent events show that more people are becoming wary of Facebook and do not wish to join.

amazon

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:48:20 PM »
It is about a year since the parapet of the bridge over the River Etherow in Compstall was partly demolished. Does anyone know what is happening about it?

The last time work was done on the parapet a temporary bridge was created on the down river side to enable the work to be done.  I assume this is likely to be the case when work does start on the bridge.

It would bet a good idea if the Council looked into the possibility of this temporary bridge being created in such a way that it could become a permanent footbridge.  This would allow pedestrians walking between Brabyns Park and Etherow Country park to be able to use the pedestrian refuge near the Post Office junction instead of having to petition for a light controlled pedestrian crossing by the entrance to Brabyns Park in order to cross the busy Compstall Rd with poor sight lines. It would probably be cheaper as well, and reduce the problem of having to wait for people already using the narrow footpath on the other side of the bridge
what about the pedestrians that dont come from Brabyns park we still need a crosing further up near wine shop ,another problem with temp bridge its a conservation area the civic society may have something to say if its made permanent ,