Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Brabyns Park Path  (Read 8543 times)

amazon

Re: Brabyns Park Path
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 08:44:25 PM »
A report from Friends of Brabyns Park says:-
Works are to be undertaken in Brabyns Park to resurface the footpath between the Brabyns Recreation Centre and the Iron Bridge. The contractors carrying out the work will be on site for three weeks from 19th March 2019, establishing a small compound in the Recreation Centre car park.

It is good to know this section is to be improved so that you can go down to admire the Iron Bridge and adjacent information post.
But more importantly, that is all you can do without getting covered in mud and worse. There is no logic behind choosing not to upgrade Rollins Lane so that Compstall residents can walk to the station etc, and visitors to the area, finding Brabyns Park, could continue onward to Etherow Country Park.

Please contact anyone who can bring Stockport Council to recognise the illogicality of their ways.
ITS a private road .

CTCREP

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 06:31:04 PM »
A report from Friends of Brabyns Park says:-
Works are to be undertaken in Brabyns Park to resurface the footpath between the Brabyns Recreation Centre and the Iron Bridge. The contractors carrying out the work will be on site for three weeks from 19th March 2019, establishing a small compound in the Recreation Centre car park.

It is good to know this section is to be improved so that you can go down to admire the Iron Bridge and adjacent information post.
But more importantly, that is all you can do without getting covered in mud and worse. There is no logic behind choosing not to upgrade Rollins Lane so that Compstall residents can walk to the station etc, and visitors to the area, finding Brabyns Park, could continue onward to Etherow Country Park.

Please contact anyone who can bring Stockport Council to recognise the illogicality of their ways.

CTCREP

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
So Marple Rambler believes the present surface is sufficiently uneven that it makes vehicles rattle and bounce about enough to wake the neighbours thus deterring fly tippers.  Really?  Yet Marple Rambler also thinks the surface is perfectly adequate for ordinary pedestrians. There is some double thinking here.

Of course if fly tipping were a problem, and as far as I am aware it hasn’t been up till now, then there is a simple,  though slightly inconvenient , answer to that which is to have a lockable central post somewhere, a solution often used by landowners to prevent vehicular access.

We are yet to be told who the landowner is. I suspect that it is not known, or at least the result of a bungled arrangement when Stockport Council took over responsibility for Brabyns Park.  When trying to get Rollins Lane useable by ordinary pedestrians I have frequently been told Rollins Lane is a bridleway. That being so then it can have the same treatment as the bridleways in the Mellor Strines area. There is no way that the previous owners of Brabyns Park would have had the Iron Bridge constructed without ensuring they had permanent  access rights along Rollins Lane.  I agree that in those days access was by horse and cart, but do we really want Stockport to remain in the Nineteenth Century?

amazon

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
The Marple Website has a new story about the theft of the York Stone paving flags from Marple Memorial Park. Another great problem can be trucks getting along lanes in darkness and stealing entire walls of gritstone. A few years ago I met someone in New Mills with a large six foot high dry stone wall beneath the end of her garden down to the road. At lunchtime a neighbour passed to see that the whole wall had been stolen overnight and she had not heard a sound. This is another reason why landowners may not want the road to be made up to a high standard: if the surface of the track causes the truck to rattle a bit the dogs which are invariably on the rural/semi-rural properties will hear the noise and start barking. Construct a high quality road surface and the trucks can access the land much more quietly during the night.
And fly tip. cowlisher brow a load tiped there last week

marplerambler

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 06:31:36 PM »
Owners of private roads (which are sometimes also public bridleways) such as Rollins Lane often do not want to risk making it easier for vehicles to use the routes illegally because there is the ever present danger of theft of livestock or cowboy builders reversing in during the night to dump lorry loads of building waste or  dumping used tyres (this happens a great deal more than most people realise).
The Marple Website has a new story about the theft of the York Stone paving flags from Marple Memorial Park. Another great problem can be trucks getting along lanes in darkness and stealing entire walls of gritstone. A few years ago I met someone in New Mills with a large six foot high dry stone wall beneath the end of her garden down to the road. At lunchtime a neighbour passed to see that the whole wall had been stolen overnight and she had not heard a sound. This is another reason why landowners may not want the road to be made up to a high standard: if the surface of the track causes the truck to rattle a bit the dogs which are invariably on the rural/semi-rural properties will hear the noise and start barking. Construct a high quality road surface and the trucks can access the land much more quietly during the night.

marplerambler

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »
Who is the landowner of Rollins Lane then?
A request to HM Land Registry Department should indicate ownership of land but ownership of the land but it is completely irrelevant in the context of using it as a public highway. If the land is a legally recorded public right of way ie it is shown on the two legal documents (i) the definitive map of public rights of way in Stockport and (ii) the definitive statement of public rights of way in Stockport the route has a status of 'Queens Highway'  in this case with a legal status of bridleway  the public have a legal right to walk, ride a horse or ride a bicycle along the route NB the driver of a motor vehicle using the route is trespassing if he uses the route without the landowners permission. There are rare occasions when the land does not have a legal owner. This reason for this is usually historical - it used to be the case that tithes ie a tax on land which could be used for agriculture were levied on land in the distant past. If the land was crossed by a track which was  regularly used by pedestrians, horses, stagecoaches or horsedrawn carts thus making it impractical to obtain produce from the land the owner stated that he revolved legal ownership of the land to avoid paying this tax. It is usually the case that the route crosses a landowner's property. It is nearly always the case that if you live on a street with a house opposite the boundary of your land is half way across the street and the house facing owns the other half but because the highway lies between your garden wall and the wall of the house opposite the complete width of the road. If the route serves the purpose of being both a right of way for pedestrians/horses and it is also the farm driveway or access to land the owner of the land decides if he wishes to construct a surface suitable for vehicles. Owners of private roads (which are sometimes also public bridleways) such as Rollins Lane often do not want to risk making it easier for vehicles to use the routes illegally because there is the ever present danger of theft of livestock or cowboy builders reversing in during the night to dump lorry loads of building waste or  dumping used tyres (this happens a great deal more than most people realise).

amazon

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
Is the implication that SMBC have asked, and the landowner said no?

If not, then CTREP's point stands. Sorting out Rollins Lane would be more beneficial to more people (even if it is technically a private road) than many of the other "improvements" they've made recently.
Would you walk through there on  dark night if you have been working late in town .youl be wanting kerbs an lights instaled next .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 12:54:17 PM »
Just how many times do you have to be told that Rollins Lane IS A PRIVATE ROAD!!!!

Who is the landowner of Rollins Lane then?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpleexile

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
THE COUNCIL DOES NOT HAVE THE STATUTORY AUTHORITY TO UPGRADE THIS ROUTE WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE LANDOWNER/S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the implication that SMBC have asked, and the landowner said no?

If not, then CTREP's point stands. Sorting out Rollins Lane would be more beneficial to more people (even if it is technically a private road) than many of the other "improvements" they've made recently.

marplerambler

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »
Hello Amazon, you seem to miss the point. Why only upgrade half the length of the path from Compstall Rd into Brabyns Park?  Not that bad? It really depends on your standards, I wouldn't want to use it to walk to the station to get to work. I even know someone who, once the rains begin then drives down to Marple Bridge and then through Brabyns Park in order to go to Yoga.

The Council has provided finance for the upgrading of several footpaths and bridleways in the Mellor Strines area that are of direct benefit to, I suspect, less than a dozen people, and in comparison these paths etc don't really lead anywhere compared to Rollins Lane that leads to Marple Station, Marple Bridge, Marple Hall School etc etc.  If you haven't seen the Mellor/Strines provision you should go there,  just walk towards Strines from Roman Lakes  I estimate they have upgraded a combined total of at least ½ mile of footpaths and bridleways in that area.   Rollins Lane is probably about 300 yards long and used by ten times the number living in the Mellor Strines area and there could be considerably more if it were brought up to the standard of the Mellor Strines provision. Why the Council continually refuse to cater for Compstall residents is beyond my comprehension.
Just how many times do you have to be told that Rollins Lane IS A PRIVATE ROAD!!!!  but bridleway rights exist along this track. SMBC has a statutory obligation to ensure that the route is accessible to pedestrians and horses but this route is a public right of way: this legal designation is very different to that of a footway/pavement adjacent to an adopted road maintained by the Council so the standard to which it is maintained is very different.  It is not unreasonable that this route or any bridleway  becomes muddy at times: all public footpaths become muddy if it has been raining unless the landowner choses to improve the surface. SMBC has absolutely no legal authority to upgrade this surface without the express permission of the landowners. The landowner has the right to choose whether he/she wishes to upgrade this private road which provides vehicular access to adjacent fields/properties. If you do not wish to get your shoes or your bike muddy the solution is very simple - you use the main road if you are a cyclist or the pavement if you are a pedestrian but for heavens sake stop making this same comment again and again when you know that you  speak total nonsense. THE COUNCIL DOES NOT HAVE THE STATUTORY AUTHORITY TO UPGRADE THIS ROUTE WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE LANDOWNER/S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTCREP

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 07:18:51 PM »
Hello Amazon, you seem to miss the point. Why only upgrade half the length of the path from Compstall Rd into Brabyns Park?  Not that bad? It really depends on your standards, I wouldn't want to use it to walk to the station to get to work. I even know someone who, once the rains begin then drives down to Marple Bridge and then through Brabyns Park in order to go to Yoga.

The Council has provided finance for the upgrading of several footpaths and bridleways in the Mellor Strines area that are of direct benefit to, I suspect, less than a dozen people, and in comparison these paths etc don't really lead anywhere compared to Rollins Lane that leads to Marple Station, Marple Bridge, Marple Hall School etc etc.  If you haven't seen the Mellor/Strines provision you should go there,  just walk towards Strines from Roman Lakes  I estimate they have upgraded a combined total of at least ½ mile of footpaths and bridleways in that area.   Rollins Lane is probably about 300 yards long and used by ten times the number living in the Mellor Strines area and there could be considerably more if it were brought up to the standard of the Mellor Strines provision. Why the Council continually refuse to cater for Compstall residents is beyond my comprehension.

amazon

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
Hello

Having had a recent conversation with Stockport Officials re Brabyns Park paths I have been told that they are considering improving the surface of the section of path from near the Pavilion down to the Iron Bridge. With typical lack of understanding they will not upgrade Rollins Lane that leads through to Compstall Road at the same time. They may fill in a few potholes which will be of only minor benefit as the surface is unsuitable for people walking in ordinary everyday shoes.
Rollins lane is not that bad

CTCREP

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »
Hello

Having had a recent conversation with Stockport Officials re Brabyns Park paths I have been told that they are considering improving the surface of the section of path from near the Pavilion down to the Iron Bridge. With typical lack of understanding they will not upgrade Rollins Lane that leads through to Compstall Road at the same time. They may fill in a few potholes which will be of only minor benefit as the surface is unsuitable for people walking in ordinary everyday shoes.

rsh

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
But how many do you think will use it if its improved .how many will want to go to the station for the 7.30 train on a dark morning winter through Brabyns . not many if any at all .
Probably more than you’d expect. But what odd reasoning not to want a path maintained!

Having walked the tennis courts path last summer, and vowed never to do so again, I can imagine it is pretty muddy. Also incredibly narrow with overgrown trees (hard to even pass someone walking the other way).

A good solution to the station’s poor access would be to build a new path leading from the Brabyns Park bridge down to the back of the ticket office. This would totally open up the station for cycling in particular, allowing you to get there while completely avoiding Brabyns Brow. Anyone want to try and get Network Rail onboard?  ;D :o

No, it might not be excessively used on a dark winter morning, but if it’s well used for even half the year, removing cars from the roads and that damn useless car park, then these things should absolutely be progressed...

amazon

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »
Of course nobody wants to use it in its present condition, although many still do.  However I know of at least one person who is happy to cycle from the Compstall end to the Pavilion in the Park during the summer but not when it is full of mud and puddles, and so now drives from the Compstall Rd entrance to the park down to Marple Bridge and back up to the Pavilion.  I am not aware of any other urban park in Stockport where the main routes through the park are in such unacceptable condition.

Please do not fall into the trap of thinking that if no one uses it now (which is untrue) therefore no one will use it if it were improved.
But how many do you think will use it if its improved .how many will want to go to the station for the 7.30 train on a dark morning winter through Brabyns . not many if any at all .