All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Gritting wagons  (Read 6380 times)

amazon

Re: Gritting wagons
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »
@amazon what a stupid and thoughtless comment. This is the same car park used by the customers of most of the shops in Marple.
Iknow why did you not say that instead of saying you wanted it griting so that the people going to the carver can use it .

mikes

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
@amazon what a stupid and thoughtless comment. This is the same car park used by the customers of most of the shops in Marple.

amazon

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »
Please can you get the gritting lorry to go and clear/grit the Chadwick Street car park so that the patrons of the Carver Theatre can attend this weeks performances without risk to life and limb.

Regards
Mike Strivens
Treasurer
Carver Theatre.
Dont you think theres more priority things to do than griting the car park so people can go to the carver cant see many going out in this anyway .

mikes

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 02:36:00 PM »
Please can you get the gritting lorry to go and clear/grit the Chadwick Street car park so that the patrons of the Carver Theatre can attend this weeks performances without risk to life and limb.

Regards
Mike Strivens
Treasurer
Carver Theatre.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 09:15:16 AM »
Updates - Officers on Roads

Morning update

Fri 04:21
No further snow has fallen across the network tonight and looks clear now for the remainder of the night. All priority routes have been gritted and ploughed and are running. Drifting snow is still causing issues in exposed high level areas which we will continue to plough till morning rush hour.

The following priority roads are impassable due to drifting snow;

Wybersley Road High Lane
Glossop Road Marple
Shiloh Road Mellor
Moor End Road Mellor 100 yards down from Shiloh Road

We have moved onto secondary routes this morning starting from 09:00hrs, the below areas will be gritted.

Marple
Marple Bridge
Mellor
High Lane
Hazel Grove
Offerton
Romiley
Woodley
Bredbury

Public Transport

Stagecoach tells us 375 bus service turning at Navigation Inn and not going to Mellor and not going to all estates.  383/384 running normally.  Trains eastbound to Sheffield affected by disruptions today and services between Hazel Grove and Buxton are suspended. 

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 11:10:34 PM »
Just to add that the gritting crews were out all night last night clearing arterial routes, although they struggled with Werneth Low and Glossop Road and last night (as many found) the police shut Brabyns Brow for a while.  All main routes are clear although some steep side roads are still struggling.  Hundreds of tons of grit have been distributed, although we have weeks more in store, in spite of several periods of snow this winter.

However, more snow, cold periods and high winds may make overnight and tomorrow dangerous, so please be careful whether on foot, by vehicle or on bike.   (Yes, bikes can sometimes get through when cars can't - that's how I helped clear lorries off the ice during gridlock in Dan Bank in 2016!)  Although we aren't the worst affect bit of the UK, the AA man's advice tonight seemed sound: on a longer journey take a shovel, hot drinks and at least a half tank of petrol. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 08:40:46 PM »
On behalf of the Shirley Avenue residents I would like to thank Steve & his son George for their hard work in clearing the footpaths today. Much appreciated, The Rover.

Thanks for your message @the rover it was our pleasure. The people we spoke to were very welcoming, it was definitely our good deed for the day and very much worth the effort.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
Lib Dems Councillor candidate for Marple North 2018

the rover

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 08:29:28 PM »

@the rover  -George and I have cleared all the internal paths of the bungalows and we've gritted through the passageway after brushing a pathway. We spoke to a few residents to make sure they were ok. We're back home now having a deserved hot chocolate. I took some pics but they don't seem to be uploading!

Just as EmmyJane says, stay safe everyone.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
Lib Dems Councillor candidate for Marple North 2018.

On behalf of the Shirley Avenue residents I would like to thank Steve & his son George for their hard work in clearing the footpaths today. Much appreciated, The Rover.

andrewbowden

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
Also why don’t all school staff report to the local school, if they can’t make it to the school they normally work at?

I suspect there would be all manner of problems with doing this.  Not least safeguarding issues.  Not sure I'd be happy with the idea of someone just turning up at a school and saying they were a teacher.  Not insurmountable I'm sure, but the effort to do so may not be worth it for how often it would be required.

Should all schools have a few hand operated grit spreaders and a stock of grit bugs, so that parents etc (and staff when a school has been closed) can gridt the roads and paths near the school?

Rose Hill certainly has a hand grit spreader.  But how far do you go?  I live 10 mins walk from my son's school.  Some children come in further.  How far do you go?  Ultimately though I think the problem is less the pupils and more that staff often come from long distances.

In the Lakes they try to send a gritter out with each bus, so the buses keep working, why don’t we do the same?   (It also means that when driving, the bus timetable tells you when roads will be clear.)

Doubt Stockport's got enough grit wagons to do that for every bus ;)  But major bus routes are a priority for the council for gritting.

ringi

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »
A few thoughts…
I find that when putting out grit, it is best to fill a small bucket and destitute it by hand, as using a spade it lands up in heaps, with large areas between getting no grit.
It is a LOT easier to clear snow before anyone has walked on it, therefore I try to clear the payment outside my house a few times a day.    (grit, clear, then re-grit seems to work best)
It a shame that all schools don’t pay staff a little more if they live within walking distance so that they don’t need to close as often.   Also why don’t all school staff report to the local school, if they can’t make it to the school they normally work at?
Should all schools have a few hand operated grit spreaders and a stock of grit bugs, so that parents etc (and staff when a school has been closed) can gridt the roads and paths near the school?
The gritters lorries should come along the roads by Marple High School when the snow has stopped (like now), so that it clears quicker.   
In the Lakes they try to send a gritter out with each bus, so the buses keep working, why don’t we do the same?   (It also means that when driving, the bus timetable tells you when roads will be clear.)

andrewbowden

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 11:36:27 AM »
The council website has a disruptions page
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/school-closures-and-other-disruptions

Shows what council services are running/not running, and road problems.  e.g. Marple Library's closed, and the swimming pool will only be open until 2pm.  Oh and all garden/food waste collections are cancelled until Wednesday, so don't rush to put your green bin out on Monday :)

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
Steve what a great idea.

Regarding winter tyres, which we've had for 8 years now. There are different types of winter tyres, but my worry is that many people go out and have them fitted, then think they are driving Gods and don't  drive in snow and ice as carefully as they should.

Please leave big gaps (for safe braking), drive slowly, read the road way ahead and drive with your engine ticking over with lowish revs (in the conditions that we are experiencing atm). I'm not an expert but was taught to drive in snowy conditions (many years ago).

Stay safe everyone.

Hi EmmyJane. Thanks for your message and that's a great comment on safe driving.

@the rover  -George and I have cleared all the internal paths of the bungalows and we've gritted through the passageway after brushing a pathway. We spoke to a few residents to make sure they were ok. We're back home now having a deserved hot chocolate. I took some pics but they don't seem to be uploading!

Just as EmmyJane says, stay safe everyone.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
Lib Dems Councillor candidate for Marple North 2018.

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 08:19:28 AM »
Steve what a great idea.

Regarding winter tyres, which we've had for 8 years now. There are different types of winter tyres, but my worry is that many people go out and have them fitted, then think they are driving Gods and don't  drive in snow and ice as carefully as they should.

Please leave big gaps (for safe braking), drive slowly, read the road way ahead and drive with your engine ticking over with lowish revs (in the conditions that we are experiencing atm). I'm not an expert but was taught to drive in snowy conditions (many years ago).

Stay safe everyone.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 07:59:51 AM »
Hi Steve,

I live on Shirley Avenue which if you don't know is behind the Texaco petrol station. The centre part of Shirley Avenue is 'old peoples' bungalows who in this sort of weather never set foot out of their homes. I have on numerous occasions over the years requested Stockport Council to provide a Grit Bin down near to the footpath which comes out on Stockport Road next to the petrol station, only to be told that Shirley Avenue is not classed as 'hilly' so 'no you can't have one' although it is an 'incline'.
Can you help in any way as this tight-fisted council who really don't care about older people when they can save a few pounds. I even offered to grit the footpaths myself each year so that the pensioners can get to the shops.

Good morning 'The Rover'

Thanks for your message, regarding your bin request I will happily speak to the Council and see what can be done. I know they are reviewing their gritting policy so I do not think any approved action will take place until next autumn but please let me get in touch with them and I will take it from there. I've had lots of bin requests so I will (if I get elected to Councillor) be in a better position to fight our corner.

I'm coming off my night shift this morning but I will get my Son George who is on a 'snow day' from school, we will bring some grit and see if we can make the footing a little easier for residents.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
Lib Dems Councillor candidate for Marple North 2018

the rover

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 06:43:11 AM »
Hi Steve,

I live on Shirley Avenue which if you don't know is behind the Texaco petrol station. The centre part of Shirley Avenue is 'old peoples' bungalows who in this sort of weather never set foot out of their homes. I have on numerous occasions over the years requested Stockport Council to provide a Grit Bin down near to the footpath which comes out on Stockport Road next to the petrol station, only to be told that Shirley Avenue is not classed as 'hilly' so 'no you can't have one' although it is an 'incline'.
Can you help in any way as this tight-fisted council who really don't care about older people when they can save a few pounds. I even offered to grit the footpaths myself each year so that the pensioners can get to the shops.