Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Otterspool Road  (Read 7731 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Otterspool Road
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
so how many cyclists do you think will use it compared with people who use the parks and recreation grounds that are being left in decay .

Hi Amazon

I think we will agree to disagree on this because I feel that CTCREP has it spot on. I walked down what is the only pavement at present on that stretch of road yesterday to gauge width and path standards etc. At some point it's only a couple of feet wide up to the grass verge, no use for both pedestrians and cyclists together. The road is hazardous for cyclists and this is especially on the climb up, so a cycle route in my view will help both with safety and should look smart too.

At weekend we get a lot of leisure cyclists on the road, this will be of benefit to them also. I like to think of schemes like this to be proactive rather than an accident occurring then a reactive measure taking place. It's correct as many have suggested that potholes need investment and sorting out but looking at the work being carried out down to Chadkirk I think it's being done for the good of our area.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 12:01:01 AM »
so how many cyclists do you think will use it compared with people who use the parks and recreation grounds that are being left in decay .
Irrelevant - as the funding for the scheme has come from a central government highways funding grant. 
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

amazon

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
At last something useful is being done.    Try riding your bike up that hill - a 40 mph road with double white lines in places leaving no room for vehicles to pass cyclists safely.  Friends who lived on Overdale Road had taken to riding downhill on the footpath as they were too intimidated by passing traffic until they were warned off by the Police for riding on a footpath, so they then rode into Romiley and down Vale Road rather than use Otterspool Road. Going uphill is even worse as keeping a straight line is more difficult.

Several years ago I took up this issue with Stockport Highways Department and met their representative accompanied by Andrew Stunell, then our MP.  At the time the Highways Department's comment was that it was unnecessary because "so far no cyclist has been killed on that road" !! Hopefully this attitude has now ceased.

At much the same time it was suggested at Stockport’s Cycle User Group for cyclists  to use Bunkers Hill Rd by providing access at its lower level, by far the best solution, and thus bypassing the dangerous Otterspool Rd but, as has been the case on many occasions, cyclists recommendations were ignored.

CTCREP

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 06:48:56 PM »
At last something useful is being done.    Try riding your bike up that hill - a 40 mph road with double white lines in places leaving no room for vehicles to pass cyclists safely.  Friends who lived on Overdale Road had taken to riding downhill on the footpath as they were too intimidated by passing traffic until they were warned off by the Police for riding on a footpath, so they then rode into Romiley and down Vale Road rather than use Otterspool Road. Going uphill is even worse as keeping a straight line is more difficult.

Several years ago I took up this issue with Stockport Highways Department and met their representative accompanied by Andrew Stunell, then our MP.  At the time the Highways Department's comment was that it was unnecessary because "so far no cyclist has been killed on that road" !! Hopefully this attitude has now ceased.

At much the same time it was suggested at Stockport’s Cycle User Group for cyclists  to use Bunkers Hill Rd by providing access at its lower level, by far the best solution, and thus bypassing the dangerous Otterspool Rd but, as has been the case on many occasions, cyclists recommendations were ignored.

Jay

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »
Seems to me like a waste of money when there is so many roads that are pot holed!

ringi

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »
Highway code rule 80 says

Rule 80

Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. They are push-button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

But only if cycling is allowed on the "pavement" on both sides of the crossing...   (And often it is not.)

Snowball

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
Thank you all

Condate

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:14:59 PM »
Well that's taught me something new! I always thought a Toucan crossing was for bikes and pedestrians (hence 'two can' cross).
Steve Gribbon

Highway code rule 80 says

Rule 80

Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time. They are push-button operated. Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:06:48 PM »
Looks like it is a cycle way. Details HERE

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
Not all toucan allow bikes,  but unlike a puffin crossing it detects when people have finished crossing the road, and a toucan crossing doesn’t have a flashing amber phase.   Some toucan crossing (when installed correctly) detect cyclists on the cycle path, so the cyclists never have to wait for a green light, hence promoting cycling over car driving.

To see the see for something to be done, try walking from Marple to the pub, there is no way without having to walk in the road, or cross where it is not safe to do so.

Well that's taught me something new! I always thought a Toucan crossing was for bikes and pedestrians (hence 'two can' cross). I'm safe with my knowledge of a pegasus crossing though. I think.

Kind regards, and thanks for your input Ringi

Steve Gribbon

ringi

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
A toucan crossing is the term used for a pedestrian and bike crossing..

Not all toucan allow bikes,  but unlike a puffin crossing it detects when people have finished crossing the road, and a toucan crossing doesn’t have a flashing amber phase.   Some toucan crossing (when installed correctly) detect cyclists on the cycle path, so the cyclists never have to wait for a green light, hence promoting cycling over car driving.

To see the see for something to be done, try walking from Marple to the pub, there is no way without having to walk in the road, or cross where it is not safe to do so.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
A toucan crossing is the term used for a pedestrian and bike crossing. From this i'm assuming that it'll allow the cycle path to run from Chadkirk up to Bredbury and allow a segregated cycle path from Bredbury to the Alan Newton Way.

Andy

I think that's a fair point Andy. It may be a good idea when it's up and running, only time will tell of course.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

andy+kirsty

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
A toucan crossing is the term used for a pedestrian and bike crossing. From this i'm assuming that it'll allow the cycle path to run from Chadkirk up to Bredbury and allow a segregated cycle path from Bredbury to the Alan Newton Way.

Andy

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:02:12 AM »
Thanks for your efforts Steve but the Council response doesn't really answer my question. I could work out that it was a footpath they were building but I was puzzled as to why the need, given that there are many other competing demands for scarce resources.

That's fair enough Snowball, this is the only information I was given from my questions. If I find anything else out I will be in touch.

Kind regards

Steve

Snowball

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
Thanks for your efforts Steve but the Council response doesn't really answer my question. I could work out that it was a footpath they were building but I was puzzled as to why the need, given that there are many other competing demands for scarce resources.