Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Steve Gribbon: LibDem Candidate for Marple North  (Read 24448 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Steve Gribbon: LibDem Candidate for Marple North
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2018, 08:15:43 PM »
Steve

I'm going to address this to you, but could equally be dealt with by any current or potential council member if they pick it up as well as all of us on the forum re where we are.

Over the last 12/24 months the council spent a lot of money resurfacing huge numbers of roads with a method that was said to be of a reasonable durability (I forget the exact name but it was essentially a top surface scrape & renew). Given we have had a pretty severe winter which would test it I wonder whether it has performed as expected? I know where I am it seems to still be ok but I'm sensing round & about a lot of roads seem to be getting worse again but with the passage of time I can't quite remember which were (not) done. I was just interested to know whether the council are satisfied with the way the new surfaces have performed over time & if not what is going to be done about it

Hi Corium, good to hear from you

I think this is a fair question and the road I live on has also had a surface renew which so far seems not too bad. I will seek guidance about whether the Council have got any reports on new road surfaces and potential remedies if any have been discussed. Please bear with me while I make contact with someone over this.

On a personal point of view I feel we have far too many roads that are in need of repair, one large pothole on the climb from Dan Bank springs to mind and the junction of Stockport Road/Cross Lane is like the surface of the moon. If the Council are to carry out repairs in an area then to me it makes good sense to fix a lot in 1 day, I don't see many being sorted at present, which is false economy in my view as the potholes offer the potential for claims on damaged vehicles.

I hope my part answer helps, I will be in touch when I find anything else out.

Kind regards

Steve

corium

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »
Steve

I'm going to address this to you, but could equally be dealt with by any current or potential council member if they pick it up as well as all of us on the forum re where we are.

Over the last 12/24 months the council spent a lot of money resurfacing huge numbers of roads with a method that was said to be of a reasonable durability (I forget the exact name but it was essentially a top surface scrape & renew). Given we have had a pretty severe winter which would test it I wonder whether it has performed as expected? I know where I am it seems to still be ok but I'm sensing round & about a lot of roads seem to be getting worse again but with the passage of time I can't quite remember which were (not) done. I was just interested to know whether the council are satisfied with the way the new surfaces have performed over time & if not what is going to be done about it

wheels

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »
All that is quite laudable and in another year I would be impressed Steve.. We all vote for different reasons at different time and for me this year's local elections are about maximising the anti Brexit vote. So I need you to stay clearly that your fully in line with your leaders Exit from Brexit approach.  That means no second referendum but a withdrawal of article 50. Can we have your views on this Steve. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »
Good evening to all who read this.

With 6 weeks to go until the local election I thought it a good opportunity to update and inform residents of what I am involved in and have done to help where we live. I have been campaigning for over 6 Months now and am very pleased with how many people have made me welcome and engaged with me.

At present I am:

Working with groups both for and against a local planning issue on green belt land;

Putting together a proposal for a pedestrian crossing on Compstall Road;

Still pursuing 2 projects-CCTV in Compstall and the verge safety issue on Dooley Lane;

Helping a local business owner with a planning enquiry/concern;

To date examples of work I have been involved in are:

I have Knocked on close to 1200 doors in an effort to meet people, phoned over 100 people, written to many edge of the area properties (farms and converted barns as examples) and emailed many more;

Gritted school walks and roads when the area was covered in snow;

Gritted a road and walkway to help elderly residents, and checked on their wellbeing;

Spoke to a primary school about parking consideration and this was promulgated in a newsletter;

Sorted several pathways to be cleared of slip and trip hazards;

Contacted the council over the replacement/reinstatement of grit bins;

Took part in a litter pick up at Brabyns Park;

Organised a litter pick at Cromwell Avenue Park;

Met a resident and contacted the Council on their behalf over a land query;

I have also been to several local group meetings, such as the Compstall residents group, Friends of Memorial park and took part in the Mellor Society AGM and quiz (we didn't win). I have also held a 'meet and great' in Marple centre.

Over the next few weeks I will be trying to help more people, meet as many residents as I can and get involved wherever possible.

I am thoroughly enjoying my candidacy and hope that people can see that I am driven and passionate about where we live and will consider voting for me. This is a responsibility I will be proud to take on should I be elected. My stance about being respectful to others regardless of party preference or beliefs remain, I will not get involved in negative talk about others, I feel the people voting deserve better and would rather see what candidates are doing as opposed to online squabbling. 

Thanks for reading this, please be in touch if you have any queries. My email is at the base of this message, and please feel free to follow me on Twitter.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

andrewbowden

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »
Good morning Andrew

I believe this is the case in reference to the catchment area. I've had people contact me about the parking in the morning going back to Flaggwood Avenue, I contacted the school about residents concerns and the Headteacher has kindly put a message out for more consideration which is great. It just shows the distance that may be needed to get near the school.

I just found the catchment area maps online.  Ludworth has a far larger area, but obviously not many people living in it.
https://assets.contentful.com/ii3xdrqc6nfw/3ILPK16zGoymcIuKMQWmAw/4cbedd47e8eba41c3cbbdcebc89ffe6f/marple_hall_school_map_aug12.pdf

The map mustn't have been updated for a while as it still shows Rose Hill as being split site!

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
The school doesn't control it's admissions.  Admissions are handled by the council.

It's also the largest primary school in the area so will probably have a pretty big catchment area.

Good morning Andrew

I believe this is the case in reference to the catchment area. I've had people contact me about the parking in the morning going back to Flaggwood Avenue, I contacted the school about residents concerns and the Headteacher has kindly put a message out for more consideration which is great. It just shows the distance that may be needed to get near the school.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

andrewbowden

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »

Can the school select children based on how likely they are to walk or cycle to school, e.g. put a child at the end of the list if other children in the family have been driven to the school?

The school doesn't control it's admissions.  Admissions are handled by the council.

It's also the largest primary school in the area so will probably have a pretty big catchment area.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 06:45:37 PM »
So what would it take to get the roads around the school being residents only access at drop off and pick up times?

Elmfield Drive is residents only access but it is not policed often enough to make any difference.

It is weeks and weeks since any action was taken so it's back to normal now.

It is of immense frustration to people like me who walk kids to school all the way from Woodville Drive.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

ringi

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
The Railway Pub has kindly offered to host drivers in their car park during pick up/drop off time, I think a generous initiative like this should be encouraged.

So what would it take to get the roads around the school being residents only access at drop off and pick up times?

Can the school select children based on how likely they are to walk or cycle to school, e.g. put a child at the end of the list if other children in the family have been driven to the school?

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »
Hello Forum readers

I live very near to Rose Hill Primary, and just like many residents have been blocked in by other drivers. This was especially relevant to me when I worked at Marple Fire Station and responded on a pager, a couple of times it was a real struggle getting out.

I'm aware that discussions are ongoing about changes which will suit both residents and school goers, I hope it will be resolved soon but should I be lucky enough to get elected I can have more of a say in this matter. The Railway Pub has kindly offered to host drivers in their car park during pick up/drop off time, I think a generous initiative like this should be encouraged.

I'm all for listening to ideas and it's why I am hosting a meet and greet at the Fire Station on Sunday between 1-3.30pm, please head over if you can I would be delighted to hear any views, I'm standing as a Councillor candidate to do all I can for the area so suggestions, opinions and open discussion are very much welcome.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

andrewbowden

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:13 PM »
Double yellow lines means friends and relatives are unable to park close by when they visit people. Much more imaginative ideas need to be coming forward.

The double yellow lines on Aragon Way cover only a small part of the road near the rear entrance of the school.  They are where the road is narrow, and near the junction with Bowden Lane.  Basically places you don't want people parking at all.  Most of the road is not restricted.  Amazingly people still do.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3972009,-2.0711981,3a,75y,263.21h,87.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s59ugeOH1gid3XUjBeByO6A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

wheels

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »
Double yellow lines means friends and relatives are unable to park close by when they visit people. Much more imaginative ideas need to be coming forward.

andrewbowden

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
Traffic wardens do already (occasionally) patrol near Rose Hill enforcing rules - such as no vehicles on Elmfield Drive except residents, and double yellow lines on Aragon Way (and presumably elsewhere.)  Probably not enough to put people off from flaunting the rules (saw a car parked on double yellows just the other day.)

You might find that the local residents would favour further clamping down.  People most likely to complain would be those currently doing what they shouldn't be...

ringi

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
To stop so much car movements near schools, and hence allow children to cycle and walk to schools, this is one option. https://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/news/croydon-news/hundreds-drivers-fined-flouting-trial-1331978

It will take a lot of work to build up the support for it, but if anyone can the LibDems can.....

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 05:27:19 PM »
Thank you, Steve, for all you have done so far regarding Otterspool Road.
I realise that the road is too narrow to put in a wider footpath towards the traffic lights.
The only real answer would be to do like they have done on Dan Bank and actually take some of the land on the upper side, put in a retaining wall, and then make the footpath wider.
We can dream!

Hi Lily, hope you're well and thank you for your kind words, they are always welcome. We can dream indeed, and if it was to happen then fantastic of course. I want to get this gully next to the farm sorted first to take some weight of water off the pathways then I can start on getting the area safer. There's nothing wrong with dreaming, it makes it even sweeter if things come off!

Kind regards as always

Steve