Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: The Romper  (Read 28984 times)

Duke Fame

Re: The Romper
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 11:01:08 AM »
Quote from the estate agent's details: 'Attractive rural location approximately two miles north of Marple town centre'.

A reminder that you can never believe anything written by an estate agent!   ;D

It's exactly 2 miles South of Marple Town Centre.

The rates look horrible, that has to be a good month's contribution.

ringi

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »
It will only work as a pub/restaurant if they do something different, when we first went there it had an interesting menu.   Then they went with a more standard menu, so we never went back again.
Nothing wrong with their new menu, just trying too hard to please everyone, so no point going out of our way to go there.

Dave

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
Quote from the estate agent's details: 'Attractive rural location approximately two miles north of Marple town centre'.

A reminder that you can never believe anything written by an estate agent!   ;D

sgk

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
I emailed Enterprise Inn's asking what was occurring, reply below.

"As part of our ongoing business, we do from time to time identify a pub that we feel no longer has a long-term future in our estate.  After careful consideration, the decision was taken to sell the Romper Inn freehold.  The property is on the open market with no restrictions on future use and the benefit of its premises licence through Colliers (0161 831 3300), inviting offers in excess of £300,000 ex. VAT."

Full details:Freehold for sale : The Romper Inn, Ridge End, Marple, Stockport SK6 7ET

Dave

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
Whether it ends up as another pub/restaurant, or is converted to residential use, whoever buys it will have to spend a whole lot more than 300K.   I suspect we may be saying farewell to it as a pub, although it could probably do well if it had a thorough makeover and a really good chef was installed.  After all, it's a nice spot, and as they say - location, location, location.   

ROTHERS

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »
I emailed Enterprise Inn's asking what was occurring, reply below.

"As part of our ongoing business, we do from time to time identify a pub that we feel no longer has a long-term future in our estate.  After careful consideration, the decision was taken to sell the Romper Inn freehold.  The property is on the open market with no restrictions on future use and the benefit of its premises licence through Colliers (0161 831 3300), inviting offers in excess of £300,000 ex. VAT."

Dave

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
At the moment it is owned by Enterprise Inns, one of the huge so-called 'pubcos'.  If it's being taken over by a brewery that's probably good news.  As Dizzy Penguin says, it's been looking pretty run down recently. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
The Romper is now closed.  Whether the closure is temporary or permanent is not clear - my hunch is that it may have closed for good.   :(

Our lady who runs the FoMMP tombola called in there last week to collect the prize they had said they would donate and they declined to hand it over, saying that the pub was being taken over by a different brewery. They did say which brewery and she thinks it may have been Lee's but we're not sure of that. It will be interesting to see if this proves to be correct.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dizzy Penguin

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »
Sad to hear this, but not that surprised. It is soooooo quiet in there, very often empty in fact. As far as I could tell it only had decent custom on a hot sunny day, and sadly those are pretty rare around here!!

Although having said that they were advertising vacancies only last month, and tweeted an exciteable tweet only 4 days ago... although that was for offers on most drinks, so in hindsight was probably a stock clearance!

Dave

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »
The Romper is now closed.  Whether the closure is temporary or permanent is not clear - my hunch is that it may have closed for good.   :(

myloweb

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
I went to the Romper with some friends on Christmas Eve 2009.
Te food was spot on and we had a real enjoyable night.
Would definately go back. :)

Jo Scarlett

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »
We went up to the Romper for lunch yesterday and had a nice meal  :)

However, as always seems to be the case these days, it was the service which let them down. 
They weren't busy, whilst we were there they only had 1 other table of 2 eating and 1 guy stood at the bar.  There was someone working on the bar and a waiter, even with 2 staff they couldn't look after us. 

We sat for 20 minutes plus with no drinks, the kitchen closed and we weren't asked if would like a dessert and then we had to get up and go to the bar to pay because there was nobody around.  We could have walked out and no one would have noticed.  At no point whilst we were there, were we asked "if everything was alright".

What a shame........  ???

Dave

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »
Too true.  In terms of quality of food, efficient service and a warm welcome, there is nowhere that comes close to The Romper. 

Mmm, I'll have to think about that!  I like the food in the Romper - the Meditterranean (spelling?) menu makes a nice change from what's on offer elsewhere.  But I reckon there are other pubs in the area where the food's at least  as good - and they don't charge £2.80 a pint for the beer!   

orangewhip

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 08:45:14 AM »
Too true.  In terms of quality of food, efficient service and a warm welcome, there is nowhere that comes close to The Romper. 

bat man

The Romper
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
I reently went for a meal to the Romper,excellent food very freindly staff and great service,will deffinatly be returning. ;)