Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Rant!!  (Read 5313 times)

Steve Gribbon

Re: Rant!!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
we should remember that some of  the roads round Marple were made for Horse and carts ,compstall road was .

Hi all

Please allow me to jump in on this as traffic was part of my statement when I was selected as the Lib Dems candidate for this year. As much as the rush hour problems (admittedly far more than an hour) are with us every weekday, it's no good for issues such as the environment and needs addressing. It's also quite clear that a large amount of cars are carrying just 1 person. I've just returned from holiday where a fantastic car pooling scheme has been set up where I was staying, with adverts on the highways to get involved. I have contacted the company which set this scheme up to see what issues there have been, and to see if we could get involved with setting up a similar system. As soon as I have anything returned to me I will post on here.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
Lib Dems candidate for 2018

amazon

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
Okay, what overcrowded services should I travel on?  I have travelled at 8am on buses with plenty of seats.  Whilst stuck in traffic jams caused by too many cars.
we should remember that some of  the roads round Marple were made for Horse and carts ,compstall road was .

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
I travelled everyday by bus I went to school by bus and to work by bus AS I DONT DRIVE I think you really should look into public transport a lot more and travel at times buses are over crowded Such as 8am. So don’t tell me that I should travel by bus more!

Okay, what overcrowded services should I travel on?  I have travelled at 8am on buses with plenty of seats.  Whilst stuck in traffic jams caused by too many cars.

pirate Princess

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 04:32:52 PM »
In my more recent experience (i.e I get on buses regularly and was on one last night) the most common reason buses are late are... Traffic jams.  Usually caused by an endless parade of cars.  The other week I nearly missed my train from Stockport because of cars.

As for swearing at the driver?  Seriously?  Come on.  In years of traveling my bus I have experienced that about once.  I suggest you actually travel by bus regularly and learn what bus travel is actually like.

I travelled everyday by bus I went to school by bus and to work by bus AS I DONT DRIVE I think you really should look into public transport a lot more and travel at times buses are over crowded Such as 8am. So don’t tell me that I should travel by bus more!

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
I travel by bus regularly and one advantage is I can do research for meetings I attend.  In all the years of going by bus I only once had a loudmouth showing off to his school friends.  Some older schoolgirls gave them a frosty look.  I got up and asked for restraint, and he said "Sorry, sir".  Sir?  Perhaps I should have been a teacher.

Back to the main point - last Area Cmte in Marple there was a long and confusing discussion of mitigation measures on Hibbert Lane.  In the end, we are getting a mini roundabout and - yes - more humps.  I'd like to think a few in the new houses will walk to a station but don't hold your breath.

andrewbowden

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
In my more recent experience (i.e I get on buses regularly and was on one last night) the most common reason buses are late are... Traffic jams.  Usually caused by an endless parade of cars.  The other week I nearly missed my train from Stockport because of cars.

As for swearing at the driver?  Seriously?  Come on.  In years of traveling my bus I have experienced that about once.  I suggest you actually travel by bus regularly and learn what bus travel is actually like.

pirate Princess

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
50 cars going off in the morning, 50 cars going back.  100 extra journeys on Hibbert Lane a day.  That assumes - of course - that the cars are moving.  And that's not guaranteed.  I own a car and it gets used twice times a week, usually outside peak times.  I do not commute using my car.  It's a very expensive lump of metal to own...

I am sure Hibbert Lane will absorb the additional vehicle movements easily enough.

As for the traffic lights, well given how often I see traffic backing up on Hibbert Lane, I do wonder if things could be better.  But equally have to ask, would changing the lights just make traffic back up onto Stockport Road instead?   

One guaranteed cure is that we all decide to use our cars less! 

So you don't use your car? I think you should give it a go one morning.  >:(

A lot of people have to use their cars for work and to drop the kids off, bus services are unreliable as well as having to sit with people who are rude, smell and swear at the bus driver or their friend sat with them while they are telling a story of what happened to them over the weekend and have music so loud that it gives you a head ache. And that's before your day in an office starts. If I drove when I worked in Stockport I would not be getting a bus.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
Which bit?  Marple centre or the lights at the bottom or the accidents?

A firm called Atkins was commissioned to do the baseline work.  They have not yet properly come back.

In addition there is the Neighbourhood Forum, which is run by residents and you are most welcome to join.
http://ourmarpleplan.co.uk/
One of their groups is looking at the town centre space.  The idea is that the council will get a steer from this.

Although there a number of plans at the moment - SEMMS refresh, Stockport local plan and of course GMSF that proposed 4,000 houses in High Lane - I think all cllrs are still against that huge number.

mikes

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 11:31:17 AM »
So Councillor what is the council planning on doing about it?

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »
One of the suggestions that Marple's Neighbourhood Plan has come up with is the removal of the lights in that section.  It's also the most pedestrian unfriendly.  Whatever you feel about the Poynton scheme, at the very least it creates a nice area to walk and shop, off the main road.

However, the greatest Marple traffic flow is at the lights by the Co-op / petrol station.  Co-incidentally the site of most accidents with pedestrians.   

Cyberman

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
Yes the full complement is 94 homes - 28 affordable, 66 unaffordable (?).

Full picture here

I think they build the upmarket houses first to maximise profit, then the affordable ones.

So 100 to 150 cars? However these will be going against the usual flow on Hibbert Lane - i.e. away from the estate in the morning and back in the evening. Will add to Marple's already large traffic problem, but I think not as bad as if an Asda had been built there.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »
Okay.  Their website only shows 34 on its plans.

The site plan on their web site only shows half the development: https://www.morrishomes.co.uk/developments/chatsworth-grange

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

mikes

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »

There is massive detail in the thread here:

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=6047.0

Razzle24

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:42 AM »
You need to take a look at the Marple Plan. Which looks at tackling the traffic on Stockport Road.

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »