Marple Sixth Form College: ambitious to be an outstanding college within its community, and for its community.

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 7338 times)

longtimenologin

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
Not sure that the owners of the new house with the big windows looking across the Rec to the hills would be best pleased with a new leisure centre there!
Isn’t there a deed about the use of that land ?

shambles

« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
Yes, Marple needs a decent leisure centre but I don't think the present site is suitable, mainly to due lack of space. If the present building is refurbished it will close fully for a long period !
Although people may be opposed to building it on the 'rec' this is land that was given to the people of Marple many years ago but is little used, partly due to it being waterlogged most of the year by water coming from the old limekilns/canal and now not going to the pond/lake on Fieldhouse Lane.
A leisure centre could be built at the Strines end with a 6 lane 25 metre pool having level access to Arkwright Road, and a gym at a higher level with level access to Strines Road.
If this site were to be used the existing gym on Stockport Road would remain in use until the new one is completed.
I have lived in Marple for over 50 years and have been swimming 2/3 times a week for over 15 years, but never at Marple.
When a new pool opens I would happily use it instead of Romiley

amazon

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
My preference would be the dog toilet, sorry, Rec.
which one that many .

marpleexile

« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2018, 07:45:25 AM »
So something could be done.  With a bigger site, you could do a lot more.  But yeah, where...

My preference would be the dog toilet, sorry, Rec.

amazon

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2018, 09:44:21 PM »
I found this interesting PDF from Sport England about community pools.  It comes with suggested site plans - see page 29 onwards
https://www.sportengland.org/media/4653/affordable-community-swimming-pools-r003-2012.pdf

Looking at them, there's definitely scope to fit a 4 lane 25m pool on site, probably 5 if you lose the open are on the side of Stockport Road.  The plans don't include gym facilities, but it's not beyond wit or wisdom to imagine them upstairs as now.   Sure a studio could be squeezed in there as well. 

The current building is not at all well optimised - looking at old photographs, the changing rooms and reception are are a more recent extension and are laid out in a rather hap-hazed way.  The storage areas never seem to be particularly sensibly laid out.

So something could be done.  With a bigger site, you could do a lot more.  But yeah, where...
Brybns park a lot of it is not used now for Football .

andrewbowden

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
It's tight but I'm assuming they could expand into the land inbetween the building and Stockport Road. The building would have to be more efficiently designed but it is possible. If they were to CPO the properties on the corner it would work better and still be a lot cheaper than buying a new site.

I can't think of any other suitable central site and an "out of town" position wouldn't work for many people and would have millions in site acquisition costs

I found this interesting PDF from Sport England about community pools.  It comes with suggested site plans - see page 29 onwards
https://www.sportengland.org/media/4653/affordable-community-swimming-pools-r003-2012.pdf

Looking at them, there's definitely scope to fit a 4 lane 25m pool on site, probably 5 if you lose the open are on the side of Stockport Road.  The plans don't include gym facilities, but it's not beyond wit or wisdom to imagine them upstairs as now.   Sure a studio could be squeezed in there as well. 

The current building is not at all well optimised - looking at old photographs, the changing rooms and reception are are a more recent extension and are laid out in a rather hap-hazed way.  The storage areas never seem to be particularly sensibly laid out.

amazon

« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2018, 08:25:20 PM »
It's tight but I'm assuming they could expand into the land inbetween the building and Stockport Road. The building would have to be more efficiently designed but it is possible. If they were to CPO the properties on the corner it would work better and still be a lot cheaper than buying a new site.

I can't think of any other suitable central site and an "out of town" position wouldn't work for many people and would have millions in site acquisition costs
What about parking not being a killjoy on this

Will

« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
There is not a lot of room on that site .

marpleexile

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »

If you brought a new build up to the boundaries of the site, there would be plenty of room for a full sized pool (the current on in only 4 lanes wide and not even a 25m long), plus a 1/2 decent gym on the second floor, maybe even a studio.

amazon

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »
Do we know who has been commissioned to review the options? It strikes me that there will be a Feasibility Study which should undertake a site appraisal of viability of various site options and compare against an impact assessment of what would happen if it were to close. The trouble is if other sites are to be considered that process can take months to identify suitable locations, identify cost of purchase and any remediation required (it's always on a brownfield site) and then have a legal review of title and any planning restrictions.

Having done similar on other public sector projects this can take up to 6 months depending on whether there is funding in place or not. Given the budgets identified to date it's likely it would have to come from borrowing which would be a council level decision. If so we therefore need to ensure this is not a party political issue as we need all sides on board to avoid blockages.

Our best option is to demolish the existing pool and rebuild as it would be the cheapest (land already owned and with right classification of use etc). It would also be the quickest as you could procure a Main Contractor and be on site within 12 months of approval of Feasibility and approved funding. Then you would have 12 to 24 months of construction but we would have a facility with a 60 year design life.

If we patch and mend we will be doing this all again in a few years time

Will

« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
Do we know who has been commissioned to review the options? It strikes me that there will be a Feasibility Study which should undertake a site appraisal of viability of various site options and compare against an impact assessment of what would happen if it were to close. The trouble is if other sites are to be considered that process can take months to identify suitable locations, identify cost of purchase and any remediation required (it's always on a brownfield site) and then have a legal review of title and any planning restrictions.

Having done similar on other public sector projects this can take up to 6 months depending on whether there is funding in place or not. Given the budgets identified to date it's likely it would have to come from borrowing which would be a council level decision. If so we therefore need to ensure this is not a party political issue as we need all sides on board to avoid blockages.

Our best option is to demolish the existing pool and rebuild as it would be the cheapest (land already owned and with right classification of use etc). It would also be the quickest as you could procure a Main Contractor and be on site within 12 months of approval of Feasibility and approved funding. Then you would have 12 to 24 months of construction but we would have a facility with a 60 year design life.

If we patch and mend we will be doing this all again in a few years time

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »
There was a statement made on behalf of all 6 councillors at Area Committee last night, during the chair's announcements.

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/360609/start_time/194000

As far as I can see all 6 of our councillors are committed to doing their best to ensure that we do not loose the pool, or that we get a new one, but it isn't going to be easy or quick. It sounds like repairs to the current pool will take many months, even if the costs are sanctioned, and building a new one on the same site or elsewhere will take even longer. 

We can debate the reasons why the pool is in the condition it is and who should have done something about it sooner but we are where we are. It is certainly not the fault of a councillor elected just a couple of months ago or even those elected a couple of years ago. Steve has made a pretty clear statement that he doesn't want to loose the pool and that he thinks councillors are united in their views.

The best thing that we members of the public can do is make sure councillors and the council know how important we think it is that Marple has a good swimming facility and that it is not acceptable to not have one.   
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

Andy

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2018, 06:07:07 PM »

Ah, but for the time being I believe Steve to be a man of principal opposed to the chaps below. I'd suggest most of the constituency have seen through Boris, except Wragg of course.

The point I'm making is that if the elected representatives starting point is weak then the final outcome will be bad. It even suggests that they know the pool may be closed and they don't want to over promise.

See, if I saw a councillor say something like that, I'd be thinking of one Boris Johnson who declared to his constituents that he'd lie down in front of the bulldozers before he'd allow a third runway to be built at Heathrow.  And then was handily out of the country for pointless reasons when given the opportunity to vote on rejecting the third runway...  Or of Zack Goldsmith who resigned from the Conservatives to fight Heathrow's expansion, made a big thing about it, caused a by-election, lost it, then not long after, rejoined the Conservatives again.

Basically, beware of grand gestures made by politicians as quite often, they ain't worth the paper they're written on.

andrewbowden

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
Personally I'd have liked a stronger response. Something along the lines of

" I'll die in a ditch before they close the pool, it is a significant asset to the local area and one that is used by all sections of the community and should be for years to come. The fact that they could consider closing it is wholly unacceptable. I'll resign if the officers /exec don't find the money as will my LD colleagues. A matter of weeks ago we campaigned on this platform and I'm a man of my word etc..."

See, if I saw a councillor say something like that, I'd be thinking of one Boris Johnson who declared to his constituents that he'd lie down in front of the bulldozers before he'd allow a third runway to be built at Heathrow.  And then was handily out of the country for pointless reasons when given the opportunity to vote on rejecting the third runway...  Or of Zack Goldsmith who resigned from the Conservatives to fight Heathrow's expansion, made a big thing about it, caused a by-election, lost it, then not long after, rejoined the Conservatives again.

Basically, beware of grand gestures made by politicians as quite often, they ain't worth the paper they're written on.

amazon

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »
So do we all but at a cost of around £10M I don't think it will happen, very interesting that there is no date given for when a decision will be made, no date when the Consultants report will be published, in fact no new dates for anything! Seeing that the pool is over 80 years old what plans did Life Leisure have in place prior to this for a replacement? They are following a well documented path on how Council's close swimming pools, just look at the number of old pools that Manchester have closed in the last 15 years.
If it does needs another location in Marple