Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111170 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2018, 04:01:40 PM »
Statement from the Council today:

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/statement-on-marple-pool

Not looking good...

I'd say it's rather neutral.  Nothing has changed in this statement.  They've been saying at least January for ages. 

What it does give is (finally) a public statement on the extent of the problems ("pool fabric and filtration systems, the shell of the building, and the mechanical and electrical systems") and basically states it needs a lot of money to bring it up to code - yet alone refurbish and redevelop it into a better facility.

Equally though, a new facility would cost money.  The question is how much it would cost to give a decent facility.  Keep in mind that in Denton, Tameside council are spending £14m on a new facility in Denton.  It's pretty big admittedly - a 17x8m "small" pool, an 8 lane 25m pool, gym, bowling alley, soft-play etc.  But building new isn't cheap.  Still, the benefits of spending more may well be deemed to be worth it.

Anyway, ultimately the statement changes nothing.  There's still three options:

1) close Marple completely
2) spend the money to repair Marple pool.
3) build a new Marple pool somewhere.

Our councillors will have to look at the options and make a call. 

Victor M

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »
As I feared, we now face months, if not years waiting for the report, then months waiting for a decision and then years waiting for funding. In the end everyone forgets that there ever was a pool and it's all kicked into the long grass and forgotten about. To say that Hazel Grove & Grand Central are viable alternatives for Marple residents just goes to show how in touch with Marple our Council is. Unfortunately I've seen it all happen before.

Caroline77

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
Statement from the Council today:

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/statement-on-marple-pool

Not looking good...

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
Good afternoon forum colleagues

As previously stated we (Councillors) met with Council officers at the swimming pool, personally I found it a very constructive meeting.

In order to try and keep information consistent an update is being prepared by Officers which has been sent to us for approval/suggestion. As soon as this is completed it will be released for public viewing. I am hoping this will be done in the next 2 days.

Thanks for reading this

Kind regards

Steve

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
Thanks Amazon and DLL

I know I've said this before but this is our local pool too, there is no way I want to see it gone. This is the same for those who will be meeting on Thursday.

Kind regards

Steve

amazon

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2018, 12:43:03 PM »
Good afternoon

Just to inform readers that the Councillors for our area are carrying out a full site visit on Thursday, we will be asking questions that have been raised by many people on here including our own points.

Once we have some answers either I or another Councillor will report onto here.

Please bear with us whilst the meeting takes place, I am aware that much speculation is going on at present but when we get some definitive answers and information we will make sure that people are kept up to speed with the situation.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon
  Thanks steve

DLL

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »
In a nutshell Steve - please ensure we keep a pool !

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
Good afternoon

Just to inform readers that the Councillors for our area are carrying out a full site visit on Thursday, we will be asking questions that have been raised by many people on here including our own points.

Once we have some answers either I or another Councillor will report onto here.

Please bear with us whilst the meeting takes place, I am aware that much speculation is going on at present but when we get some definitive answers and information we will make sure that people are kept up to speed with the situation.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon   

amazon

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2018, 09:57:19 PM »
This old chestnut again. As the foodstore would have been mainly serving Marple residents, then most of the cars going to / from the supermarket would have already been on the roads anyway, but going longer distances to other shops not in the town. Theoretically, the new store COULD have actually resulted in an overall reduction in traffic in some key locations - Dan Bank, Windlehurst, Brabyns for example.

As all the houses built on the college site are NEW, then all of the traffic to / from these houses will be NEW. Therefore more traffic, at all hours of the day, but particuarly in the rush hour and when such trips will be heading for exactly the same places that everyone else in the rush hour is going to.  Thereby guaranteeing more congestion.

Nevermind, the campaign worked. We stopped scummy Asda in their tracks in their plans to take over Marple didn't we? Oh, wait...
Nice one .

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »
How many cars do you think the residents have and how many journeys do you think they would make in a day? Think about it. On second thoughts don't, as you didn't think before you posted.

This old chestnut again. As the foodstore would have been mainly serving Marple residents, then most of the cars going to / from the supermarket would have already been on the roads anyway, but going longer distances to other shops not in the town. Theoretically, the new store COULD have actually resulted in an overall reduction in traffic in some key locations - Dan Bank, Windlehurst, Brabyns for example.

As all the houses built on the college site are NEW, then all of the traffic to / from these houses will be NEW. Therefore more traffic, at all hours of the day, but particuarly in the rush hour and when such trips will be heading for exactly the same places that everyone else in the rush hour is going to.  Thereby guaranteeing more congestion.

Nevermind, the campaign worked. We stopped scummy Asda in their tracks in their plans to take over Marple didn't we? Oh, wait...
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

andrewbowden

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »
It's a bit of a trek, but Avondale is a nice pool if anyone is wanting an alternative to Romiley and Grand Central.  I haven't been for a few years now, but I liked it because it was usually quiet, warm and clean.

I used to go to Avondale in the evenings until I switched to Grand Central.  It's not a bad pool, although the deep end is so deep that I can stand up in without problems!

Hazel Grove's also a good although I've only been in the "small" pool (it's quite big actually). 

Newbie1

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
It's a bit of a trek, but Avondale is a nice pool if anyone is wanting an alternative to Romiley and Grand Central.  I haven't been for a few years now, but I liked it because it was usually quiet, warm and clean.

Victor M

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »
Come on children stop bickering, the real issue is that Marple could very well end up with no swimming pool and no real alternative apart from the pool at New Mills (which is outside the Borough and so not publicised by Life Leisure, SMBC). Marple could end up with the only council recreational facility being the bowling green in the memorial park!

amazon

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
Do you know how much a swimming pool costs to build? Who do you think would pay for it? Had a supermarket been built on that site there would of been a constant flow of vehicles in and out for at least 14 hours a day. How many cars do you think the residents have and how many journeys do you think they would make in a day? Think about it. On second thoughts don't, as you didn't think before you posted. No need to reply to me. I don't get you, never have and never will.
sounds as though your against leisure facilities for  Marple sooner have private houses .

sooty2

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
They may and i say may have been a baths there on part of it so are you happy we dont have a baths in Marple now .instead there is some nice big houses all with cars cloging up the roads ,
Do you know how much a swimming pool costs to build? Who do you think would pay for it? Had a supermarket been built on that site there would of been a constant flow of vehicles in and out for at least 14 hours a day. How many cars do you think the residents have and how many journeys do you think they would make in a day? Think about it. On second thoughts don't, as you didn't think before you posted. No need to reply to me. I don't get you, never have and never will.