Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111207 times)

amazon

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »
Where are who now? Are you talking about the people who strongly opposed a supermarket on Hibbert Lane  in the middle of a residential area? If so what is  the relevance? Do tell, I for one am happy that a supermarket was not built there.
They may and i say may have been a baths there on part of it so are you happy we dont have a baths in Marple now .instead there is some nice big houses all with cars cloging up the roads ,

amazon

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »
At the self-checkout queue?
Nice one .

sooty2

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »
They took to the streets against Asda .were are they now
Where are who now? Are you talking about the people who strongly opposed a supermarket on Hibbert Lane  in the middle of a residential area? If so what is  the relevance? Do tell, I for one am happy that a supermarket was not built there.

andrewbowden

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »

At the self-checkout queue?

amazon

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
We need to take to the streets ! Whats going on ??? Marple needs a swimming baths.

It'll come down to cost and quite frankly I cant see Life Leisure wanting to cough up. The gym is a farce as well.

DLL

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »
We need to take to the streets ! Whats going on ??? Marple needs a swimming baths.

It'll come down to cost and quite frankly I cant see Life Leisure wanting to cough up. The gym is a farce as well.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2018, 05:49:50 PM »
Monday to Thursday, the public swim sessions in the main pool that run post-school are going to be axed so they can dedicate the whole of the main pool to swimming lessons.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised they are doing this.  I made the mistake of arriving for a swim at 5:30 on a Wednesday recently.  There was a queue for the car park.  Once inside, three lanes were in use for lessons, two for the public.  In the public bit, it was very crowded.  I ended up swimming half lengths because it was nigh on impossible to get to the shallow end.

Obviously come September, they'll have more space for the children from both Romiley and Marple to have their lessons, but it will come at the cost of something like 10 hours of public swimming sessions at Romiley.  No idea if they're making any other changes to the timetable to make up for it.
Fully agree with this. I used to swim at Marple of an evening a couple of times a week. Since the closure I’ve only managed to get to Grand Central a couple of times, the extra travelling and faffing about makes it very inconvenient. Having looked at the other ‘local’ baths, there is virtually no evening public swimming available.

When is this debacle going to be sorted? I fear that the longer this goes on, the less likely the pool will ever be re-opened and it will end up being forgotten about and then lost through yet more supposed cost savings.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

amazon

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »
Got a letter the other day about my son's swimming lessons next term.  Seems they're definitely planning at least some changes to the opening hours at Romiley.  Unfortunately for some, they won't be positive changes. 

Monday to Thursday, the public swim sessions in the main pool that run post-school are going to be axed so they can dedicate the whole of the main pool to swimming lessons.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised they are doing this.  I made the mistake of arriving for a swim at 5:30 on a Wednesday recently.  There was a queue for the car park.  Once inside, three lanes were in use for lessons, two for the public.  In the public bit, it was very crowded.  I ended up swimming half lengths because it was nigh on impossible to get to the shallow end.

Obviously come September, they'll have more space for the children from both Romiley and Marple to have their lessons, but it will come at the cost of something like 10 hours of public swimming sessions at Romiley.  No idea if they're making any other changes to the timetable to make up for it.
No matter what they spend on Marple baths its not going to be good enough .we need a new baths someware but were .

andrewbowden

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »
Got a letter the other day about my son's swimming lessons next term.  Seems they're definitely planning at least some changes to the opening hours at Romiley.  Unfortunately for some, they won't be positive changes. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
@Steve Gribbon  - of course, that's no problem

@andrewbowden

Thanks Andrew, it will be sent this afternoon.

Kind regards

Steve

andrewbowden

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »
@andrewbowden, Andrew  I will pass on your email to the Council official if that is ok with you?

@Steve Gribbon  - of course, that's no problem

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2018, 02:35:45 PM »
Thank steve .theres plenty water botom lower fold any one want a paddle .

Thanks Amazon, I shall grab my arm bands!

Like all residents this is of real concern to me, if I or another Councillor receive an update I am sure we will post on here.

@andrewbowden, Andrew  I will pass on your email to the Council official if that is ok with you?

Kind regards as always

Steve

andrewbowden

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
Thanks for the update Steve.

I can only speak for myself and my family, but it is a right-old nuisance is this closure!  It's a lot more effort to get to Romiley for my children's lessons, than it is to Marple.  And because Romiley is hosting its own lessions and Marple's, the place can get extremely busy during the time swimming lessons are on.  Not sure there's a particular solution for that!

I am a regular swimmer myself (usually three or four times a week) but my swimming has to fit around family life which means I only have a few slots I can swim in - usually early weekend mornings, or evenings from 8/8:30.  Marple opened at 7:30 on a Saturday and Sunday, but Romiley doesn't open until 9am on a Sunday (7:45 on a Saturday is at least do-able.). There's no do-able evening slots at Romiley either.  Indeed there's only one swimming session after 8:30pm, on a Thursday and it's ladies only, so us men are a bit stuck!

I'm sure every Marple swimmer has their own quirks in schedules, but the upshot for me is that I'm having to spend a lot more of my time having to drive to Grand Central as it's the only place open when I can get to it.  And all that time adds up.

I guess the request for me is if there's any way Romiley can review its opening hours given the extra demand on it, then that may be helpful to some of us.

And if there is going to be substantial work on Marple to bring it back into service, I do hope that some money can be found to actually make improve the quality of the changing rooms at the same time!  I went to Hazel Grove the other week with my daughter.  Lovely changing facilities they have there.

amazon

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2018, 01:04:39 PM »
Good morning.

Please see below for a copy of the message from a Stockport Council officer regarding Marple Pool. We (Councillors) are due to have a site inspection soon and will update accordingly. Kind regards, Steve

I appreciate the inconvenience that the continued closure of Marple Pool is causing.
The pool was closed in March due to major problems discovered with the pool filtration systems and pool fabric, whilst we were planning a small scale programme of repair and refurbishment works. We immediately commissioned a full condition survey of all aspects of the building so we had a clear picture of all works required over the next few years. At the time of commissioning the surveys, we were advised that to do even the minimum works
 required, closure until at least the end of January 2019 would be necessary. We have now received initial reports back and it is clear that the issues with the building are more complex than originally anticipated. We are reviewing the situation at present and will be in a position to provide a fuller update at the beginning of July. In the meantime, if there is anything we can do make access to swimming at other facilities easier, please let me know and I will discuss these with Life Leisure.
Thank steve .theres plenty water botom lower fold any one want a paddle .

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2018, 11:23:22 AM »

Good morning.

Please see below for a copy of the message from a Stockport Council officer regarding Marple Pool. We (Councillors) are due to have a site inspection soon and will update accordingly. Kind regards, Steve

I appreciate the inconvenience that the continued closure of Marple Pool is causing.
The pool was closed in March due to major problems discovered with the pool filtration systems and pool fabric, whilst we were planning a small scale programme of repair and refurbishment works. We immediately commissioned a full condition survey of all aspects of the building so we had a clear picture of all works required over the next few years. At the time of commissioning the surveys, we were advised that to do even the minimum works
 required, closure until at least the end of January 2019 would be necessary. We have now received initial reports back and it is clear that the issues with the building are more complex than originally anticipated. We are reviewing the situation at present and will be in a position to provide a fuller update at the beginning of July. In the meantime, if there is anything we can do make access to swimming at other facilities easier, please let me know and I will discuss these with Life Leisure.