Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111178 times)

marpleexile

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 07:25:40 AM »
I  am absolutely sure there would be no contraversy about building on the Rec.  I am sure the Civic Society would get right behind it  ;)

I'd expect nothing less of that bunch of miserable NIMBY busybodies.

They even got their knickers in a twist over the precise shade of green of ASDA's external signage - as if they were going to rebrand the entire company just because of them!

But Howard's right, the Rec is current just a giant dog toilet, it would be of far more recreational use for the residents of Marple to do something like this with it.

marveld

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 06:01:12 AM »
In my opinion the best place would be on the Rec. The town would get far more "recreation" out of if than we currently do.

I think some of the residents on Oldknow Rd, Strines Rd and Arkwright Rd might not be too impressed!

On the one hand I totally agree with Howard's point. However, I also feel that Marple's green space should be left alone. A difficult choice, but if the money was available for a new pool I'd vote for this location (unless someone has a better idea?).

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »
Erm.... It is the council who own the local leisure centres, and thus are responsible for the sort of renovations that you're talking about. I'd imagine that Life Leisure completely agree with you, but there's naff all they can do about it.

That's a fair point but I feel if there really are serious problems the sooner we are told the better. Contacting life leisure and also asking about upgrades can do no harm

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

PhilB

amazon

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »
I  am absolutely sure there would be no contraversy about building on the Rec.  I am sure the Civic Society would get right behind it  ;)

One interesting thing to consider is that the council hold the freehold to the delivery office.  With strealing some of the car park, a four or five lane 25m pool would be doable I reckon.  Second floor being a gym, studios and stuff.  You could even make it three stories and have parking underneath.  You can fit a lot into a compact space if you try.

But as ever with these things, it's a matter of money.  Tameside are spending something like £14m on their new complex in Denton.  That's having an eight lane 25m pool, small pool, gym, bowling alley, and soft play.  But still, a new pool and gym for Marple will cost a few bob.
.could put it on Apple tree land .

andrewbowden

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:02 PM »

One interesting thing to consider is that the council hold the freehold to the delivery office.  With strealing some of the car park, a four or five lane 25m pool would be doable I reckon.  Second floor being a gym, studios and stuff.  You could even make it three stories and have parking underneath.  You can fit a lot into a compact space if you try.

But as ever with these things, it's a matter of money.  Tameside are spending something like £14m on their new complex in Denton.  That's having an eight lane 25m pool, small pool, gym, bowling alley, and soft play.  But still, a new pool and gym for Marple will cost a few bob.

marpleexile

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 06:19:32 PM »
In my opinion the best place would be on the Rec. The town would get far more "recreation" out of if than we currently do.

That would be perfect. There'd be room for a nice 25m "proper" pool, with a small teaching pool along side it, a proper gym (maybe even a spin studio or similar) and a couple of all weather outdoor courts/pitches.

marpleexile

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 06:16:59 PM »
I included in the letter the fact that other local pools (Hazel Grove, Cheadle, Romiley as examples) have far better facilities than what we have, and asked if there are plans to improve not only the changing facilities but also the viewing area and the exterior which is tired and dated. I totally agree that we deserve better, and with investment more people will take advantage of the facilities.

Erm.... It is the council who own the local leisure centres, and thus are responsible for the sort of renovations that you're talking about. I'd imagine that Life Leisure completely agree with you, but there's naff all they can do about it.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
Hi everyone who reads this

Just to update on the swimming pool situation, I have sent an email to Life Leisure asking for a full and open answer to what is going on and why. I've explained residents concerns (including my own, this is my local pool too) and asked for details of what work is going on.

I included in the letter the fact that other local pools (Hazel Grove, Cheadle, Romiley as examples) have far better facilities than what we have, and asked if there are plans to improve not only the changing facilities but also the viewing area and the exterior which is tired and dated. I totally agree that we deserve better, and with investment more people will take advantage of the facilities.

As soon as I have a reply I will post on here.

Kind regards

Steve Gribbon

Howard

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 05:09:17 PM »
There was a chance of one some years ago .

@amazon I assume you're talking about the rumour we heard from people associated with Marple in Action? If I recall, they claimed that the current pool would be knocked down to improve traffic management by putting in new measures at the Hibbert Lane and Stockport Road junction. There were also claims that Tesco/Asda (no-one knew who was planning for a new supermarket at that time) would build and new one  near the new Hibbert Lane supermarket.

As usual at that time there was rumour and counter-rumour all over the place at that time and I never ever heard it more than speculation.

However, the principle is right. there is no way that a town the same size as Marple should have such poor sporting facilities. However, if we did have anything, where would it go? There are only a few places anywhere near the centre that could take a facility of the size needed and I suspect all of them are going to be used for housing in the next few years. In my opinion the best place would be on the Rec. The town would get far more "recreation" out of if than we currently do.

amazon

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
It's by far the oldest pool in the Stockport council leisure estate.  Obviously age doesn't mean that much by itself, if it's kept in good condition.  But in terms of facilities, it hasn't kept up with demand.
There was a chance of one some years ago .

andrewbowden

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
It's by far the oldest pool in the Stockport council leisure estate.  Obviously age doesn't mean that much by itself, if it's kept in good condition.  But in terms of facilities, it hasn't kept up with demand.

DLL

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »
Its a farce that a town of Marple's size doesn't have a better / more modeern leisure facility.

We should be equipped with one that is at least on par with Hazel Grove.

The loss of the pool will be make a huge impact for many, i'm hearing that a LOT of work needs to be done.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
This is just a sticking plaster over the very deep cracks.

Its a bit of a disaster and hopefully not something that will be used as an excuse for some drastic cost cutting by SMBC / Life Leisure.

I really like Marple pool.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

PhilB

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 06:33:21 PM »
This is just a sticking plaster over the very deep cracks.