Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111166 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2019, 10:22:16 PM »
And whilst we wait, Romiley's got issues.  Both pools were closed on Sunday apparently, and the small pool's been closed today and apparently will be tomorrow.  I hope we're not going to see another local pool abruptly shut down for years on end!

PhilB

« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »
I asked the council and got this response by email: ( 20th Nov)

Hi Phil
I would hope that we would be providing a public update in the next 2-3 weeks.  The design work we commissioned has now been completed and we are currently looking at the financial modelling and funding options.

amazon

« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2019, 08:18:54 PM »
You've got to laugh really.  Cos what else can you do?
Nearly end of november and still waiting for info on new swimming baths .

andrewbowden

« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2019, 10:25:39 AM »
CUSTOMER NOTICE - GYM CLOSURE @ MARPLE (UPDATED TUES 12 NOV)
Due to urgent maintenance works and unforeseen circumstances the gym at Marple is closed until further notice. Members are welcome to access any other Life Leisure gym during this time with the nearest alternatives being Romiley and Stockport Sports Village in Woodley. We will update as soon as we have any further information. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Rain stopped play....

https://www.lifeleisure.net/our-centres/marple/

You've got to laugh really.  Cos what else can you do? 

PhilB

« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2019, 10:21:10 AM »
CUSTOMER NOTICE - GYM CLOSURE @ MARPLE (UPDATED TUES 12 NOV)
Due to urgent maintenance works and unforeseen circumstances the gym at Marple is closed until further notice. Members are welcome to access any other Life Leisure gym during this time with the nearest alternatives being Romiley and Stockport Sports Village in Woodley. We will update as soon as we have any further information. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Rain stopped play....

https://www.lifeleisure.net/our-centres/marple/

andrewbowden

« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
So I had an interesting experience at Hazel Grove last night.

My Life Leisure membership is a "Flexi" one that - when I joined - allowed me to swim at Marple, Grand Central and Avondale.  But not Hazel Grove and Romiley.  Goodness knows how they came up with this package, but whatever.  It was £60 a year cheaper and suited me at the time.

When Marple closed we were told we could use Romiley - as I know many people do - and Hazel Grove.  And for the last 15 months that's what I've been doing with my existing package.  Romiley have always let me in without fuss.  About nine months ago, Hazel Grove pointed out my membership wasn't valid there, but quickly relented once I said I was a member at Marple.   Other than that, they've been fine.  Essentially it was a free upgrade.

Last night I went to Hazel Grove as I normally do on a Tuesday evening.  And got told I needed to pay.  But I'm a member at Marple I said.  There's no pool there any more.

"They're changing the access", I was told.  "I think you need to change your membership now.  They've sent a letter out."

"Not to me they haven't," I replied.  Because they haven't sent me anything.  And she didn't have any concrete information on anything.

"Well I'll let you in this time and get the membership team to get in touch if you need to change anything."

And so I got my swim.  And pulled a muscle in my leg but that's another matter.

I haven't heard anything at all from Life Leisure today, and I'm still not clear whether she'd just misunderstood some internal memo or they are planning on changing access to either Hazel Grove, Romiley or both. 

From my point of view, unless they actually tell me this in writing I'm not going to be in the mood to give them any extra cash willingly.  They've been allowing people like me to use Hazel Grove for the last 18 months.  So as far as I'm concerned after that time, they need to communicate changes formally to me.  I'm sure their t&cs allow them to change with notice, but they would need to communicate it!  But I mention this just in case anyone else is in the same situation as me who uses Hazel Grove regularly, and who may also get this strange conversation.

And lo, went back to Hazel Grove with my daughter on Sunday.  Same conversation about membership not being valid, followed by me saying I was a member at Marple, and that was followed by "Okay" and all was fine as normal.

Exactly the same person on reception...

amazon

« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »
And meanwhile it’s the 1st of November, so we should be seeing something very soon, right?  :o
Right  about another two weeks yet .

rsh

« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »
And meanwhile it’s the 1st of November, so we should be seeing something very soon, right?  :o

LATEST UPDATE JULY 2019

Further progress is being made with the project to develop options for providing a replacement leisure centre in Marple.

This could incorporate a broader range of community facilities than those offered in the current pool building. Stockport Council has appointed GT3 Architects to lead the technical team developing concept designs for the scheme. GT3 have recently carried out a number of designs for similar schemes, which have included wet and dry sports facilities and a variety of community uses. They will be supported by a wider professional team.

It is anticipated that this phase of work will last 12-15 weeks and it will result in detailed designs being drawn up for a number of options. These will give us a better understanding of potential timescales and costs of potential schemes. In parallel with this, work is taking place to develop funding models for potential schemes.

Although we are committed to providing a replacement pool and leisure centre in Marple, we do not want to raise expectations until we are confident that we have a range of options which are deliverable. Once we get to this stage, we will be carrying out a programme of engagement with local residents and other stakeholders.

We do not anticipate being in a position to provide a further update on the project until the design options have been completed in late October/early November.

In the meantime, any queries can be directed to marplepoolproject@stockport.gov.uk

amazon

« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2019, 05:17:37 PM »

My Life Leisure membership is a "Flexi" one that - when I joined - allowed me to swim at Marple, Grand Central and Avondale.  But not Hazel Grove and Romiley.  Goodness knows how they came up with this package, but whatever.  It was £60 a year cheaper and suited me at the time.

When Marple closed we were told we could use Romiley - as I know many people do - and Hazel Grove.  And for the last 15 months that's what I've been doing with my existing package.  Romiley have always let me in without fuss.  About nine months ago, Hazel Grove pointed out my membership wasn't valid there, but quickly relented once I said I was a member at Marple.   Other than that, they've been fine.  Essentially it was a free upgrade.

Last night I went to Hazel Grove as I normally do on a Tuesday evening.  And got told I needed to pay.  But I'm a member at Marple I said.  There's no pool there any more.

"They're changing the access", I was told.  "I think you need to change your membership now.  They've sent a letter out."

"Not to me they haven't," I replied.  Because they haven't sent me anything.  And she didn't have any concrete information on anything.

"Well I'll let you in this time and get the membership team to get in touch if you need to change anything."

I haven't heard anything at all from Life Leisure today, and I'm still not clear whether she'd just misunderstood some internal memo or they are planning on changing access to either Hazel Grove, Romiley or both. 

From my point of view, unless they actually tell me this in writing I'm not going to be in the mood to give them any extra cash willingly.  They've been allowing people like me to use Hazel Grove for the last 18 months.  So as far as I'm concerned after that time, they need to communicate changes formally to me.  I'm sure their t&cs allow them to change with notice, but they would need to communicate it!  But I mention this just in case anyone else is in the same situation as me who uses Hazel Grove regularly, and who may also get this strange conversation.
Contack life Leisure

andrewbowden

« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2019, 03:34:16 PM »

amazon

« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »
Just a thought (I haven't the time to follow it up) - it could be that the part of the covenant which concerns licensed properties goes back to the establishment of the original bank that later became the Nat West. It could be that the initial founder(s) were teetotal. There was a lot of poverty aggravated by alcohol consumption in the 19th century and many businesses were founded by (religious) non-conformists.
It could be going in the park around the library area incoparating every thing in one we shall no in about ten weeks when the consultation documentss are published
 it wont interfere with the dog walkers .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »
Covenant means that there is a restriction on what you can do with the property.  Conditions that you have to adhere to even if you own it.  For example, for many years closed pubs would be sold with a covenant that they couldn't be reopened as a pub by any new owners.  Marple's ex NatWest was put on the market with conditions that it couldn't be used for financial use or as a  licensed premises (if I remember correctly).  If they went through with that, it will probably have covenants applied to the deeds so it can be enforced.

The other problem for the Rec is that it could be classed as a village green, and they have protection.  I don't know if the rec is a registered piece of common land, but to my lay persons eyes, it looks like it could be registered as such.
Just a thought (I haven't the time to follow it up) - it could be that the part of the covenant which concerns licensed properties goes back to the establishment of the original bank that later became the Nat West. It could be that the initial founder(s) were teetotal. There was a lot of poverty aggravated by alcohol consumption in the 19th century and many businesses were founded by (religious) non-conformists.

amazon

« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2019, 09:40:58 AM »
Reading this thread is as close as I can imagine to the level of conversation at a Stockport Council meeting discussing Marple's swimming pool. Tenuous ideas and endless banal discussion but nothing actually happening :)
I'd keep your swimming costumes in the drawer for a good while longer.
Agree another ten years at least if then .

jimblob

« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
Reading this thread is as close as I can imagine to the level of conversation at a Stockport Council meeting discussing Marple's swimming pool. Tenuous ideas and endless banal discussion but nothing actually happening :)
I'd keep your swimming costumes in the drawer for a good while longer.

amazon

« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »
How about the sorting office?
What about the sorting office .