All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 28007 times)

marpleexile

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
Were do you mean by rec .

The triangle of waterlogged grass bordered by Arkwrigh, Strines and Oldknow Roads.

amazon

« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2019, 09:24:23 PM »
I have no problem with it being at Memorial, but I think that The Rec would be better - more space, better options for vehicular access, and no loss of amenities in either the short or long term (well except that some dog walkers would need to find somewhere else for their dogs to p*** & p***)
Were do you mean by rec .

marpleexile

« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2019, 05:45:45 PM »
That is the perfect place to put a community leisure centre for future generations. It would replace 70's buildings with a modern centre for all.

So Yes I would like to get you started! What is wrong with upgrading the current Memorial park?

I have no problem with it being at Memorial, but I think that The Rec would be better - more space, better options for vehicular access, and no loss of amenities in either the short or long term (well except that some dog walkers would need to find somewhere else for their dogs to p*** & p***)

PhilB

« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2019, 07:30:22 PM »
And don't get me started on putting it in the Memorial Park!!

That is the perfect place to put a community leisure centre for future generations. It would replace 70's buildings with a modern centre for all.

So Yes I would like to get you started! What is wrong with upgrading the current Memorial park?

amazon

« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
Why can't they renew/replace the swimming pool where it is now. Cheaper than buying or "acquiring" a new site either as slum clearance or open land. The only factory locally is the Goyt Mill. Unsuitable parking, noise issues for local residents both during demolition and building to say nothing of once the "leisure centre" was opened.

Do we want to lose open land with possible wild-life issues, to say nothing of open air sites for people. The current pool is on a good bus route (not everyone has a car or can afford taxis).

Goyt mill is for sale at 4 million really makes sence to put it there Marple park is ideal

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »
Drag it out people might forget we need a new swiming pool still not apointed a technical team typical stockport .look at the one in denton thats going up were oldham batteries used to be .
Why can't they renew/replace the swimming pool where it is now. Cheaper than buying or "acquiring" a new site either as slum clearance or open land. The only factory locally is the Goyt Mill. Unsuitable parking, noise issues for local residents both during demolition and building to say nothing of once the "leisure centre" was opened.

Do we want to lose open land with possible wild-life issues, to say nothing of open air sites for people. The current pool is on a good bus route (not everyone has a car or can afford taxis).

Don't look for the light at the end of the tunnel -  stomp along there and turn the bl**dy thing on yourself!

amazon

« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
For ease, here's a copy of the new statement:

Marple Pool Project: Update 14th June 2019

Work is progressing on developing options for a replacement pool and leisure centre in Marple, which could also incorporate a range of other upgraded community facilities.

The Council is now in the final stages of appointing a technical team to move forward the next phase of the project. This work will develop a series of detailed designs.

In parallel with this, we are continuing to work on the funding model for a new centre and have already had preliminary discussions with potential external funders, including Sport England.

Although we are committed to providing a replacement pool and leisure centre in Marple, we do not want to raise expectations until we are confident that we have a range of options which are deliverable. Once we get to this stage, we will be carrying out a programme of engagement with local residents and other stakeholders.

We will provide a further update once we have appointed the technical team. We anticipate that this will be by the end of July.

Any queries on the project can be directed to marplepoolproject@stockport.gov.uk
Drag it out people might forget we need a new swiming pool still not apointed a technical team typical stockport .look at the one in denton thats going up were oldham batteries used to be .

PhilB

« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
March update was:

Following the initial feasibility work, the project is now progressing with the development of a more detailed scheme....

June update is:

The Council is now in the final stages of appointing a technical team to move forward the next phase of the project. This work will develop a series of detailed designs.

So it has taken 3 months NOT to appoint a technical team !!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2019, 08:30:12 AM »
For ease, here's a copy of the new statement:

Marple Pool Project: Update 14th June 2019

Work is progressing on developing options for a replacement pool and leisure centre in Marple, which could also incorporate a range of other upgraded community facilities.

In parallel with this, we are continuing to work on the funding model for a new centre and have already had preliminary discussions with potential external funders, including Sport England.

Although we are committed to providing a replacement pool and leisure centre in Marple, we do not want to raise expectations until we are confident that we have a range of options which are deliverable. Once we get to this stage, we will be carrying out a programme of engagement with local residents and other stakeholders.

We will provide a further update once we have appointed the technical team. We anticipate that this will be by the end of July.

Any queries on the project can be directed to marplepoolproject@stockport.gov.uk
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

PhilB

ringi

« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
Marple hall

That site would be great for me, but it is too far from most people in Marple

amazon

« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2019, 12:43:51 PM »
Curious what the 6 sites are. Can think of Memorial Park, Peacefield Playing field and the Rec. Which ones am I missing?
Marple hall ,college

wheels

« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
I would assume the existing site is one of the six.

marpleexile

« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
3.   I suggested 6 sites to the Council and I believe all have been considered.  All are within half a mile of the present baths, most much closer.

Curious what the 6 sites are. Can think of Memorial Park, Peacefield Playing field and the Rec. Which ones am I missing?

amazon

« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
I hope I can clarify and explain some things on this.

On the Gym first of all. It will help to know Life Leisure is not the Council. They are separate bodies. Life Leisure has made the decision on the gym hours, not the council. I’ve advised residents who’ve already contacted me about this to complain direct to Life Leisure. There is no plan to close the gym, and I believe the Council have asked for it to remain until a new facility is built or something forces it to close down such as structural damage or Health and Safety.

On the Pool:

1.   A meeting was held a few months ago between all local councillors, the Senior Officer responsible in the Council and the Labour cabinet Member responsible. It was agreed at this meeting that all parties would work together to ensure there is a pool with leisure facility in Marple. That is a commitment from all parties but we need 1. a site 2. the cash and 3. public acceptance of the ultimate proposal.

2.   The council commissioned the feasibility study which in the first stage has looked at possible sites, the costs involved, any necessary land purchase, size of a facility and where the cash would come from. The announcement says that has been completed so all these are feasible. They are moving to the next stage.

3.   I suggested 6 sites to the Council and I believe all have been considered.  All are within half a mile of the present baths, most much closer.

4.   The Neighbourhood Plan team proposed a new facility and a site, before the closure was known. This has been public for a long time and in every plan draft. I led that team and the preferred option was the Memorial Park. The park has the room without going into any green space, but a good facility would need the involvement, support and co-operation of the library, the occupants of the hall, the Police, the Clinic (NHS) the Scouts and the Senior Citizens’ Hall. Not all of this land is owned by the Council. I stress that was the Neighbourhood Plan opinion, not a decision!

5.   The next stage of the feasibility will include consulting relevant expert and involved bodies on whichever are now felt to be the best sites. Those consultations will be in confidence, for obvious reasons. The council do not want to propose anything until these parties have had their full say, otherwise any proposals would potentially be seriously flawed. After this, optional  plans will be drawn up.

6.   This should result in a plan and a series of options for consultation with the public. Residents will be consulted.

7.   Refurbishing the old baths is not off the table, and in my opinion remains an option if a new facility is impossible.

I’m trying to keep people informed; I’ve held a surgery at Romiley baths for Marple swimmers and I get asked every time I go there three times a week. I’ve also tried to keep in touch with those who contacted me via my council email. People are welcome to do this at any time via my Councillor contacts or surgeries in the area.
Thank you for very infomative update .