Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: A6-M60 Bypass  (Read 10764 times)

CllrGeoffAbell

Re: A6-M60 Bypass
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
A fair response.

Please contact me if you feel it would help.  (This applies to any other cyclist / walker who reads this.)

CTCREP

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
Glad to hear the Council is devising a walking and cycling strategy. Presumably it is logical to know how many people either walk or cycle in the area in order to see what effect the new Strategy will have achieved, but who are being consulted over this strategy? 

If it is only Councillors, with respect, it is very unlikely they will have any great knowledge of what local cyclists need due to the many forms of cycling, or know how to achieve improvements to the transport system in the area in relation to cycling and walking. Cycling in particular has been ignored by "officialdom" for so long, few in control have any idea of how to cater for cycling.

From what I have heard, the recent unnecessary expensive and long term disruptive changes to Millgate and New Bridge Lane in Stockport was opposed by cyclists, but the Council went ahead with the scheme anyway. A scheme that many cyclists will ignore because of its inherent danger and disruption of their progress.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
The Government is trying to encourage cycling and walking so why is Stockport Council ignoring the Government’s  wishes?

Although there will be many car drivers who couldn’t imagine cycling to work, there are and will be others who recognise the benefits of cycling. Low cost for one, healthier living for another, and also it has been shown several times that in an urban environment cycling is often the quickest way to get between two points, so more time to spend on what you would like to do.  So don’t forget cycling when pressing for improvements.

The council are currently devising a Walking and Cycling Strategy.  We do need to create a network for active travel, making it easy and safe to cycle, especially for the relatively short distances in Marple.

So, no, I rarely forget cycling and cyclists!

in addition, all Marple cllrs went to the preliminary briefing on a report on the current state of Marple travel.  (That's why all those cameras went up a short while ago in Marple centre.)  This very much includes walking and cycling numbers.  This report, probably produced and published in the new year, will inform any changes to traffic control in the coming years.

CTCREP

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
With all this talk about bus lanes, compulsory purchase of land, and a new rail link, those who live in Marple should not forget that about 10 years ago Stockport signed up to a scheme to provide a cycle route between Marple and Stockport that could also be used by those living in Romiley and Bredbury. Since then they have made relatively little progress.

The Government is trying to encourage cycling and walking so why is Stockport Council ignoring the Government’s  wishes?

Although there will be many car drivers who couldn’t imagine cycling to work, there are and will be others who recognise the benefits of cycling. Low cost for one, healthier living for another, and also it has been shown several times that in an urban environment cycling is often the quickest way to get between two points, so more time to spend on what you would like to do.  So don’t forget cycling when pressing for improvements.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »
There would only be room for bus lanes on the A626 if there was hugely complex and costly compulsory purchase of land on either side of the road, all the way from Seventeen Windows through Offerton to Stockport. I can't see that ever happening.

Hard to disagree with this.

Rail link badly needed to take away traffic from the only road into Stockport.

Condate

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
  Bus lanes can also be used by buses going in both directions with a bit of careful design.

Surely buses going in both directions will tear themselves in two  :)

Dave

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
But, provided a way is found to allow a bus to get from Marple to the A6 without delays and the A6 has bus lanes all along it, then the A626 does not need a bus lane all the way into Stockport.

The road would need to be made wide enough to have two lanes in each direction. I can't see how that could be achieved even as far as Offerton.

"virtual bus lanes" can also be used, provided you have the land to allow buses to overtake cars that are waiting at the lights protecting the virtual bus lane.   Combined with careful placement of bus stops, this can result in the road always being empty in front of a bus that is leaving a stop.

What does that mean, exactly? 

Bus lanes can also be used by buses going in both directions with a bit of careful design.

Sounds pretty dangerous to me!  Has it ever been done anywhere?

andrewbowden

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »
This is what we need...            ;D

It's a shame that bus turned out to be a dodgy scam!
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/07/failure-china-straddling-bus-no-magic-bullet-traffic-woes

Not sure it would cope with Marple's streets either.

Cyberman

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 09:45:31 PM »
There would only be room for bus lanes on the A626 if there was hugely complex and costly compulsory purchase of land on either side of the road, all the way from Seventeen Windows through Offerton to Stockport. I can't see that ever happening.
This is what we need...            ;D

amazon

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »
But, provided a way is found to allow a bus to get from Marple to the A6 without delays and the A6 has bus lanes all along it, then the A626 does not need a bus lane all the way into Stockport.

"virtual bus lanes" can also be used, provided you have the land to allow buses to overtake cars that are waiting at the lights protecting the virtual bus lane.   Combined with careful placement of bus stops, this can result in the road always being empty in front of a bus that is leaving a stop.    Bus lanes can also be used by buses going in both directions with a bit of careful design.
That will never Happen .

ringi

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »

"virtual bus lanes" can also be used, provided you have the land to allow buses to overtake cars that are waiting at the lights protecting the virtual bus lane.   Combined with careful placement of bus stops, this can result in the road always being empty in front of a bus that is leaving a stop.    Bus lanes can also be used by buses going in both directions with a bit of careful design.

Dave

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »

ringi

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
Is there room for bus lanes /

Yes, but will car driver be willing to vote for them, knowing that at least to begin with they will greatly slow down cars?

It is a real shame the two end of the "A6 bypass" are not opening at the same time, as it would have allowed bus lanes all the way along the A6 by giving somewhere for the cars to go.   As it is, the first end will result in increased car usage, as the bus lanes can't be put on the A6 to take space away from cars, due to the 2nd end not even having been approved.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
I don't think a rail connection to Stockport will make much difference, as so much of the employment is not within a short walk of Stockport Station.  "end to end" bus lanes from Marple to Stockport may make a big difference, as it would allow express buses from Marple to locations like Stepping Hill.
Is there room for bus lanes /

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
Some further detail I found.  Over 60% of the funding for Crossrail comes from Londoners and London businesses.  28% comes from business.
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/about-us/funding

Central government's commitment is £4.7 billion.

I wonder how businesses in Stockport would feel about being told that they must cough up extra money to pay for public transport improvements...

@andrewbowden  you make a good point - remember how Manchester congestion charging was rejected?

But I would visit Stockport more with a fixed rail link of whatever kind.