A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Post Office Marple  (Read 30572 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Post Office Marple
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 05:39:26 PM »
An update you may have seen elsewhere -
Although the sorting office is still to be closed, Marple Post Office will now be taking parcels, so good for them.

They themselves are "90%" certain that they intend to move to the old Blockbusters near Asda.
Will they be taking parcels which the post(wo)man couldn't leave as no-one in at the adress? Or will we have to traipse on umpteen buses to the sorting office which I understand will be in the wilds of the Heatons?

amazon

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
Although the sorting office is still to be closed, Marple Post Office will now be taking parcels, so good for them.

They themselves are "90%" certain that they intend to move to the old Blockbusters near Asda.
Thank for info i think they are moving November or round about that time .

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »

andrewbowden

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
It must be more nuanced than that. The sorting office for the Glossop area is Hyde, yet undelivered parcels are left at the Glossop (and Hadfield) post offices for locals to collect with out them having to pay for them to be redirected.

I'm going off the Royal Mail website - https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7171/~/what-happens-next-to-undelivered-mail%3F

Glossop, incidentally, has a delivery office - it's on Victoria Street.  Open 7-12:30 Monday to Friday, 7-12 on Saturday.  Better opening hours than Marple.  Slightly.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4427109,-1.9491641,3a,75y,297.31h,91.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdwmyFAxehqAWUYdRVcZXBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

marpleexile

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
Undelivered parcels are always sent back to the delivery office.  That remains true even as/when the delivery office closes.  Just as now, you will be able to chose to redirect it to the post office, for a fee.

It must be more nuanced than that. The sorting office for the Glossop area is Hyde, yet undelivered parcels are left at the Glossop (and Hadfield) post offices for locals to collect with out them having to pay for them to be redirected.

andrewbowden

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
Does it say what will happen to the people who currently run the Post Office and their business which is more than just post office work.

Will undelivered parcels be left at the new PO or will we still have to traipse into the middle of nowhere?

Undelivered parcels are always sent back to the delivery office.  That remains true even as/when the delivery office closes.  Just as now, you will be able to chose to redirect it to the post office, for a fee.

Dave

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
it seems unlikely that the Post Office as an organisation would know or care about spare units next to Asda, would propose a move AND compel the business that runs the post office to move location.  This feels more like a business decision by the operator

I'm sure that's right. The usual reason for a shop owner to move premises is that the landlord is increasing the rent, or the business rates are going up.  I think the new location will be a smaller unit, so presumably there will be a reduction in running costs as well. It's probably as simple as that.

amazon

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »
The charity shop furniture dept was nearly empty at the end of last week. I asked the manageress in the bric-a-brac shop and she said they are abandoning the furniture department.
It has been classed as a empty unit thats why the Blockbuster sign is still there ,

amazon

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
Does it say what will happen to the people who currently run the Post Office and their business which is more than just post office work.

Will undelivered parcels be left at the new PO or will we still have to traipse into the middle of nowhere?
its called asking call in .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
And a smaller shop which is more conveniant for parking undercover sugest you pick up a copy of the two page brochue and read it ,it does say that we the post office are
  proposing to move this branch to unit 2 the ridgedale centre .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »
So the old Blockbuster unit! I hope the charity shop might find another premises as it's always a good browse (especially the LPs), but the unit does look poor for a prime spot with the old signage still up. Hopefully the new Post Office might also be geared more towards dealing with actual Post Office customers too, rather than an obstacle course between an odd selection of tat to get to the under-staffed counter at the back.

This makes the sorting office closure nothing to worry about at all, especially as the opening hours here for picking up parcels will be so much better. Hopefully that land will be freed up for a good modest retail development to help boost the main precinct.

The only downside is it leaves the lower end of Marple with less of a regular draw. But with Beer Traders and others, perhaps it's already finding a new lease of life. (More trees down the end and more use of the wide pavement for seating could transform it)
The charity shop furniture dept was nearly empty at the end of last week. I asked the manageress in the bric-a-brac shop and she said they are abandoning the furniture department.

Victor M

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
The proposed move also includes additional opening times. The Post Office will be open 10:00 - 13:00 hrs on a Sunday.

amazon

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
Why is it speculation its in Black white in the leaflet .
The charity shop now has a closing down sale were the post office is going .

amazon

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
Has anybody actually asked the operators of the Post Office what they think is happening.  I'd go and do so but am too busy for a week or so.  All this speculation is just that.
Why is it speculation its in Black white in the leaflet .

amazon

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
I haven't seen the booklet but I have seen the poster in the window.  If you want a simple message, you would write "the Post Office are proposing" as opposed to "the operator of this branch, after liaison with their business manager at Post Office Counters Ltd, are proposing..."

The truth will be a lot less clear to put in a leaflet and poster.

I am assuming my version is the truth, but it seems unlikely that the Post Office as an organisation would know or care about spare units next to Asda, would propose a move AND compel the business that runs the post office to move location.  This feels more like a business decision by the operator (hey I could be wrong, but wording on a poster and in a booklet isn't evidence to me as it's just wording.)
so why does it matter if he moves it will be better for a lot of people smaller shop less rates parking longer hours . dont see what the problem is .