Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Marple Area Committee Name Consultation [ends 14 October 2017]  (Read 6681 times)

marpleexile

Re: Marple Area Committee Name Consultation [ends 14 October 2017]
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
I quite understand this sentiment.  I did not propose this change and would like to just "get on with the day job".
We as cllrs like to consult and test the waters rather than riding roughshod over residents.  Listening is the mark of a good democracy.  So @marpleexile could you spend 30 seconds and say the same at https://www.stockport.gov.uk/area-committee-name-change   please?

Apologies if you thought that I meant you personally, I meant "you" as in the council/councillors/council officers.

I have given my feedback, although there is no option for stating that this is a waste of time, or that I couldn't care less one way or the other.

andrewbowden

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
It does all seem like pointless tinkering, done mainly to appease people who shout loudly about being "forgotten" when of course the reality is that those who shout loudly are never forgotten...

(although I worded my comments in the consultation more diplomatically ;) )

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
Seriously, how much time (and money) is being spent on this?

You're "employed" to make these decisions, just flipping well make it, and move on to something that actually matters!

I quite understand this sentiment.  I did not propose this change and would like to just "get on with the day job".
We as cllrs like to consult and test the waters rather than riding roughshod over residents.  Listening is the mark of a good democracy.  So @marpleexile could you spend 30 seconds and say the same at https://www.stockport.gov.uk/area-committee-name-change   please?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »

You're "employed" to make these decisions, just flipping well make it, and move on to something that actually matters!

It's interesting that despite the negativity of many of the comments made on the Marple South Ward name change consultation that this new one is being pressed on with. It does seem to have been kept rather quiet though: the Ward name change was discussed at the last AC but I didn't pick up any announcement that there was a new one about changing the committee name. Yet the new consultation has been running since 18 September, so why wasn't it made clear at the AC on 27 September that this next step was going ahead?

Anyway, for interest, here are the comments on the Ward name change that was approved at AC.  I've coloured positive ones green and negative ones red, if not sure I've left them black:
  • Unnecessary expense. haven the councillors got anything more important to deal with?
  • It’s just a name to represent the general area no need to complicate it.
  • The longer name is likely to be shortened in other docs and a pain to type out otherwise
  • Extending the ward boundary may well encourage other areas to apply for inclusion in the ward [e.g., Marple Bridge, Ludworth, Mellor, and, Compstall, etc. That would then become impractical. Furthermore, the postcode of High Lane would surely define that it is not within the boundary of any part of Marple.
  • Hopefully just a little common sense should ensure that this ill-thought-out plan does not succeed, and it certainly would serve no benefit to Marple!
  • As long as it doesn’t cost money. If it does then I don’t see the benefit
  • There are other communities like Hawk Green to consider
  • Would like to know cost and why other areas excluded
  • Needs to include all communities in the ward
  • Drop Marple
  • Ridiculous waste of time/money/effort. You should have more important things to concentrate on – fill in some bloody pot holes!
  • If it was to be changed to include High Lane why not change ward names to include Hawk Green, Rose Hill, Shrines, Compstall, Marple Bridge, Mellor etc. Why does High Lane get special treatment over these other areas that also have their own character etc.
  • This is a much needed change to include the 4000+ residents who share both marple north & south
  • Given the worrying possibility of encroachment on the green belt in High Lane by the GM authority and the resultant effect on Marple residents I think it is appropriate to make people aware of the boundaries of the ward and the close relationship between the south of Marple and High Lane.
  • Does it really matter? Is there any point?
  • High Lane has its own identity, and as such, it is right to recognise it as a jointly named Ward rather than just being a part of Marple South, which is an antiquated approach.
  • Villages need to be identified individually within the Ward
  • Yes, this would definitely put High Lane on the map and get the recognition it deserves
  • The name reflects more, the area it actually covers
  • I agree, High Lane needs some visibility.
  • It makes sense
  • High Lane Village needs to be on the council map of areas. We have been put under which ever boundary change suited the council. This is a separate Village!
  • The name change more accurately describes the area represented.
  • High Lane needs a stronger identity; this change of name will help support that.
  • It's a bit of a mouthful but it's good to get the recognition for High Lane. Getting formal recognition from the Council that High Lane and Marple are linked should make it obvious that public transport linking the two needs to be improved; the public do need to travel between the two places in the evenings and at weekends
  • It's about time High Lane Village was recognized & put on the political map.
  • It's too long a name and still does reflect all the areas covered. No name change is necessary
  • Why does High Lane as large as it is and around as long as it is not having its own respective?
  • If this makes it easier to protect our green belt, it defiantly should be done
  • Changing the name from Marple South to Marple South and High Lane Ward would be a good thing. It would raise awareness that High Lane is a village in its own right with its own identity and community issues.
  • I don't really see the point. It is a waste of tax payer’s money to even contemplate this.
  • Would prefer "High Lane Village" as just High Lane sounds like only a road.
  • This is a farcical waste of Council time and money. Ward and area names are sensibly broad to cover all of the communities they represent, to change this ward name without including Hawk Green or Strines, shows this to be a self-serving political act and not to do with representing our area. If the new trend is for every community to be listed then that must include EVERY community not just those that is politically expedient to credit. Frankly to list all of the communities in an area such as Stockport would make many ward and area committee names ludicrously long. Unless the proposed new area committee be called Marple, High Lane, Marple Bridge, Compstall, Mellor, Mill Brow Hawk Green and Strines, clearly a ridiculous suggestion and should be treated as such. This proposal is laughable and should be thrown out before causing any further embarrassment to our area and Council.
  • Simply sensible-
  • What about Hawk Green and High Lane Ward. Would seem most appropriate and keep the identity of both areas
  • This would give High Lane more profile, which given its size, is necessary.
  • As long as it doesn't waste money in having new stationery, posters signage for polling booths etc. How much will it cost?
  • Why include High Lane it is only one small part of the ward with no real defined boundaries, there is also Strines in the ward why has that been omitted? Total waste of time and money.
  • Representative wording
  • We are an independent village and wish to remain so.
  • It reflects the area which is represented.
  • It’s nice to have high lane in the name as it is in the ward.
  • What about Hawk Green?
  • It is a very good idea. It should raise the profile High Lane and make people aware of its existence. It seems to have been treated as an irrelevant backwater for too long.
    On behalf of many residents, who pay our Stockport Council Tax, we feel our village should have its name in the ward title that the Cllrs represent, and it will be very much appreciated.
    It would give High Lane the presence it deserves.
  • Seems sensible if that is the area covered by this ward.
  • High lane is just a suburb of Marple.
  • I think Stockport Council should spend its time and community charge payers money more efficiently than dreaming up new names.
  • What difference will it make to any of us?
  • I would be very pleased as it would give High Lane a separate identity and put us "on the map".
  • This will reflect the diversity of the wards and give a better local community feel.
  • What a pointless, silly idea. Surely we need shorter names no longer ones. How would you fit that on the election poster?
  • Good to make change
  • The name change would be so much better. High Lane Village is currently lost when we're classed as Marple South. This would give High Lane Village some status.
  • Marple South is a sensible general name. If High Lane deserves a name check, why not Strines? Better to just use a general area name; it's actually the least important aspect of local politics.
  • Hope it is passed & then how soon to take effect?
  • Sounds as if SMBC is wanting residents to get used to the ill-prepared, crazy proposal to build 4000 new houses on Green Belt in High Lane against current Green Belt policy & the wishes of the people
  • Why change it if it isn’t broke why mend it
  • Why? A totally unnecessary change without any justification. I understand that this change was NOT initiated by the local councillors or the residents of High Lane. The acronym would be MSHLW instead of a simple MSW! If this is adopted when will Marple Bridge, Compstall, Mellor and Strines be added. With the things that are important to the residents of Marple this must be the absolute lowest priority. Forget it.
  • It will reflect the closeness of the two areas and mutual issues they both face
  • More bureaucracy
  • Think it is well overdue
  • If the ward name extends to include High Lane, we are likely to get requests to change Marple North to include Marple Bridge and Mellor which all seems to be getting a bit wordy so I wouldn't really be in favour of the change.
  • The Area Committee covers several discrete and highly individual areas, Mellor, Strines etc. as it stands the general term of Marple South is fine. To introduce the name of one area and ignoring the rest does not make any sense and could raise objections from them. Is the Name of Marple North going to change? What about the rest of Stockport? Sounds like the opening of a can of worms.
  • Why is Hawk Green and Strines not included in the change? Surely Hawk Green and Strines have to be considered. Why not leave as it is as present and say: "Marple South including Hawk Green, High Lane and Strines" All three areas then keep their identity.
  • Why is it necessary - more tinkering?
  • I think it is an excellent idea. High Lane will be recognised in its own right at last.
  • Because High Lane is a separate village from Marple
  • What about Hawk Green or Strines? Pointless exercise, achieves absolutely nothing, waste of money.
  • I feel the name change is simply cosmetic therefore will cause unnecessary expenditure which could be spent on many other important changes and developments within the Stockport area. I do not understand the 'need' for such a change and believe it should not go ahead based on the costs behind such a change.
  • Waste of council tax payer’s money. An ego trip
  • What's the point?
  • It recognises high lane and its identity. It tends to have been second fiddle to Marple.
  • Total waste of money, councillors' time and waste of resources.
  • Complete waste of time / money - cannot understand how a Council so strapped for cash is spending valuable resources carrying out such an insignificant exercise
  • The proposal is not appropriate as there is a distinct separation between the two Wards. The suggestion appears not to take in the practicalities & instead employ political expediency.
  • By population, approximately 30% of the presently termed "Marple South" ward live in High Lane so it would be much more balanced and meaningful to include High Lane in the ward name
  • I agree strongly that the ward name should include High Lane to reflect and strengthen our community's identity. This would coordinate nicely with the village drawing up its own Neighbourhood Plan.
  • This is a ridiculous way to spend council tax! The ward name has no effect on the area boundaries. You can't expect a ward name to cover every area within the ward being as there are over 10,000 electors. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired
  • Who came up with the idea to waste council tax payer’s money on this ridiculous exercise? We think it's disgraceful that public funds are being misused in this way. Please stop wasting money on such pathetic ventures
  • Waste of time, labour and completely unnecessary.
  • Totally pointless.
  • Terrible idea and totally pointless.
  • What a ludicrous waste of time, have the Councillors nothing better to consider? I live in the ward and don't care whether it mentions, High Lane, Hawk Green, or anywhere else for that matter. I think we all know which ward we are in and know it is currently called Marple South, which a reasonable name is given the geography involved. It is a shame the Council / local Councillors cannot expend their energies addressing some of the many issues in the ward, rather than wasting time on nonsense like this.
  • We are appalled that public money is being wasted in this way. In times of austerity Stockport council should not be wasting valuable resources on such insignificant matters. Please can we be told - publically - who instigated this consultation - officers of the council should be accountable to the public when spending council tax payer’s money? I will be contacting my MP to register my dismay at this blatant waste of valuable council resources
  • Marple South covers Strines, Hawk Green, Marple centre and High Lane. To include only one of these areas is not a good idea as you are ignoring the other two areas in the ward.
  • Good idea
  • It's a complete waste of Tax Payers money (my money!) I'd rather the money was spent on important things like renovation and conservation of Stockport Heritage properties, upkeep of local parks and keeping the streets tidy and clean.
  • What is the point of this? How does it affect my vote or any results? It's just a waste of money AGAIN. Can't you just leave High Lane alone...? Why must you politicians constantly tout your personal objectives as beneficial to your electorate? SPEND THE MONEY ON MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES!
  • It seems that this would be a waste of time and money. I'm sure that the council has more important things to spend its budget on than a cosmetic name change.
  • To change the name would not include Hawk Green, Strines etc. Leaving as at present would cover all the areas represented.
  • Make it a better name. Try Marple McSouth Face and High As F*£& Ward
  • In this case, Strines should be included too!
  • I believe the inclusion of High Lane in the ward name will more accurately reflect the status of High Lane and will hopefully lead to it being recognised on a more equal footing to other areas in the borough. I feel that, possibly because High Lane is located on the very edge of the borough, it has suffered in terms of investment and focus and I would support a move that might help raise its profile such as this.
  • About time High Lane was recognised
  • I believe that a slight name change would provide the area of High Lane an identity which would help geographically. I have many contacts in the High Peak area and even in the local New Mills find people unsure about the village.
  • High Lane always appears to play second fiddle to the rest of the borough. For instance the Christmas decorations are pathetic compared to hazel grove etc.
  • Always feel high lane is a forgotten place - don't even get a local paper. Very poor Christmas lights compared with rest of the borough - not worth bothering with in my opinion
  • To help fight you 'idiots' in crap planning applications on green belt land
  • High Lane has been part of the township of Marple since Norman times. People who live there complain vehemently if they think they are not included as part of Marple. The changed name implies a separation of High Lane from Marple which, historically cannot be upheld. From a practical point of view, the new name would be cumbersome, taking longer to write and say than the present one. if this change is agreed won't there be demand to change the other Marple ward to mention Marple bridge, Mellor and Compstall - even more cumbersome. This is the sort of debate which is a waste of council time for no good purpose.
  • It is too wordy, 'Marple south' is enough. Printed material could say 'Marple south ward' which includes high lane if need be.
  • Historically WYBERSLEY The estate of the Bradshaw-Isherwood family covers the whole area. A name lost on none historians but we have all seen the movie 'cabarat'. Keep it simple and direct.
  • I think it is a good idea as we're in Hawk Green as close to High Lane as Marple - When I supported their walk to the town hall about the 4000 houses I felt they had some knowledgeable people about the area
  • "Marple with High Lane", "Marple adjoining High Lane" would be less verbose "Hawk Green" is more neutral, better captures the region
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpleexile

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 06:19:11 AM »
Please do take a minute to comment using the link supplied by Mark below - or at the libraries.
The Marple Area Cmte does represent you and we'd like the right name!

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:17:45 PM »
Please do take a minute to comment using the link supplied by Mark below - or at the libraries.
The Marple Area Cmte does represent you and we'd like the right name!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 06:40:03 AM »
Marple Area Committee Name Consultation

Following the first consultation outcome the Marple South Ward name change was approved at Marple Area Committee last week and (if approved by the Council on 26 October*) Marple South will become Marple South and High Lane. To see the outcome of the consultation, including the comments made, you can use this link:

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=125153

It was item 10 on the agenda of the 27 September AC Meeting. To hear what local councillors said about the name change visit this link:

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/306937/start_time/7824000

There is now a further consultation about changing the name of Marple Area Committee to Marple and High Lane Area Committee.

This consultation runs until 14 October and you can make comments via this link: https://www.stockport.gov.uk/area-committee-name-change

@CllrGeoffAbell @CllrKennyBlair @Malcolm Allan @TomDowseMarpleSouth

* post amended as I did not originally realise that the Marple South change still has to be approved by the Council. 
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
I have attached the shapes of the 6 Hazel Grove wards, @Victor M .  On the right, Marple N is in red, Marple S in yellow.  There is also maps.stockport.gov.uk/myhouse.aspx on the SMBC website that gives a load of other details, like council owned land, facilities, bin days, etc.

High Lane is a sizeable area, but I don't think I'd like my ward renamed as Marple North with Marple Bridge, Mellor, Compstall, Mill Brow and bits of the moors above Mellor, Ludworth and Werneth Low!

@Condate interesting idea.  The Stockport wards are about 10,000 strong and I do know quite a few.  (As do my fellow councillors @Malcolm Allan and Annette Finnie.)  Would you know all of 3,000?  Perhaps.  I'd value other comment on this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Condate

Re: Marple South Ward Name Consultation [ends 11 August 2017]
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »
Much more sensible would be to divide the wards into three smaller wards. At present, the Marple wards are far too big. A council ward should be small enough that all the candidates are known personally by the majority of the electorate.  This used to be the case at one time; why not now?

Victor M

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »
If it was to better reflect the whole community it represents why omit Strines, and can anyone tell me where the boundaries are between High Lane and Marple?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Marple Area Committee Name Consultation [ends 14 October 2017]
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
Marple South Ward Name Consultation

Stockport Council is seeking the views of local residents on a proposal to change the name of Marple South Ward to Marple South and High Lane Ward to better reflect the whole community it represents.

The consultation closes on 11 August 2017and a decision will be made at a special Council meeting on 26 October 2017. If approved, the new name will be brought into effect in time for the local elections in May 2018.

You can vote in the library at Marple and High Lane or do it on-line: https://www.stockport.gov.uk/marple-south-ward-name-consultation

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website