Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Marple Area Committee Name Consultation [ends 14 October 2017]  (Read 6641 times)

CllrGeoffAbell

Re: Marple Area Committee Name Consultation [ends 14 October 2017]
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 12:54:36 PM »
Proves my point really that councillors would rather spend our money on vain glorious acts than something that is actually going to benefit the community.

Couldn't agreed more @mikes and @admin explained the background perfectly about the machinations at the town hall.   We asked to go to consultation on the ward name change only and the voting on that  was 2:1 in favour. So it changed.  I personally haven't spent much time on it and this will be my last post, so to speak.  I need to get on with the day job!

mikes

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »
Proves my point really that councillors would rather spend our money on vain glorious acts than something that is actually going to benefit the community.

marpleexile

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »
Did you listen to the broadcast via the link? It was explained at the meeting:

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/314438/start_time/6998000

Seems it was two non-Marple councillors who thought it would be a good idea at a cabinet committee meeting, one of who subsequently changed his mind.

thanks.

I had at least assumed that it was some local busybody with too much time on their hands, but no, two councillors actually thought that time, money and effort should be wasted on this nonsense.

And politicians wonder why the general public think so little of them......

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
Do we know where the idea came from, and why it was given any more consideration than:

"er.... no, that would be a colossal waste of time, money and effort. Next item please."

Did you listen to the broadcast via the link? It was explained at the meeting:

https://stockport.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/314438/start_time/6998000

Seems it was two non-Marple councillors who thought it would be a good idea at a cabinet committee meeting, one of who subsequently changed his mind.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpleexile

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »
Local Councillors made it very clear that it wasn't their idea to consider changing the name of the Marple Area Committee at the meeting on Wednesday.

Do we know where the idea came from, and why it was given any more consideration than:

"er.... no, that would be a colossal waste of time, money and effort. Next item please."

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »
Local Councillors made it very clear that it wasn't their idea to consider changing the name of the Marple Area Committee at the meeting on Wednesday.

You can listen to what was said here:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
Don't you have more important things to discuss than worrying about the stupid name?  Is there any wonder politicians are held in such disregard when you focus on all the wrong things.  What about sorting out the real problems like traffic, lack of schools, doctors, dentists, and tidying up the disgraceful swimming pool etc.
Agree what he hell does it matter get the bredbury bypass done the traffic now on lower fold is terrible .

mikes

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »
Don't you have more important things to discuss than worrying about the stupid name?  Is there any wonder politicians are held in such disregard when you focus on all the wrong things.  What about sorting out the real problems like traffic, lack of schools, doctors, dentists, and tidying up the disgraceful swimming pool etc.

TomDowseMarpleSouth

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
This will be discussed as the Marple Area Cmte tonight.

So - consultation suggests Ward name change, But Area Cmte to stay the same.  That's probably about right.

Although I've had emails "IN CAPS" mostly residents here are actually very polite.  But then I suspect @TomDowseMarpleSouth  may be seen as an agent of the government!

What I find unacceptable, is the amount of abuse heaped on women MPs online of all colours.  Actually many women in public life.  As has been shown by recent disclosures - it should be dealt with by proper channels.  This is something maybe May has got right at last.  Sorry to go off-topic, but this is important.  (And for the record I am talked about alleged rape and serious offences, not the laughable stuff MPs get up to in their spare time.)

I agree with Geoff. I think theres a general undertone of misogyny in all walks of life- I think what we are seeing at the moment is a watershed for the public sector but there'll be many women identifying such behaviours at their place of work in the private sector too.

back to the name change - think the ward change was sensible but i don't think we can support a name change for the area committee.

TomDowseMarpleSouth

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »
It's a great shame that it becomes abusive and even worse if threatening. Would it be viable / practical to state on future consultations that if a response contains this kind of thing then the whole submission will not be included in the results? I know that would be a bit subjective but I don't see why abuse should be tolerated.

I agree with you - will ask the question tonight :)

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
This will be discussed as the Marple Area Cmte tonight.

So - consultation suggests Ward name change, But Area Cmte to stay the same.  That's probably about right.

Although I've had emails "IN CAPS" mostly residents here are actually very polite.  But then I suspect @TomDowseMarpleSouth  may be seen as an agent of the government!

What I find unacceptable, is the amount of abuse heaped on women MPs online of all colours.  Actually many women in public life.  As has been shown by recent disclosures - it should be dealt with by proper channels.  This is something maybe May has got right at last.  Sorry to go off-topic, but this is important.  (And for the record I am talked about alleged rape and serious offences, not the laughable stuff MPs get up to in their spare time.)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
i understand that the reason responses weren't published because some of the responses were rude, offensive and almost violent against a few members of the area committee so thats why democratic services omitted them from the report.

It's a great shame that it becomes abusive and even worse if threatening. Would it be viable / practical to state on future consultations that if a response contains this kind of thing then the whole submission will not be included in the results? I know that would be a bit subjective but I don't see why abuse should be tolerated.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

TomDowseMarpleSouth

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
Hi,

Not sure which member started this one but i think its about recognition so hence why we changed the ward name.

i understand that the reason responses weren't published because some of the responses were rude, offensive and almost violent against a few members of the area committee so thats why democratic services omitted them from the report.

Doesn't surprise me though. The abuse some of us receive on twitter, along with my car being scratched etc, is unbelievable and sometimes wonder whether we can't do right for doing wrong!

Anyway, know the names are sorted, it looks like i will change my Twitter handle name!

Tom

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
As mentioned in the MAC thread, the report on the consultation for renaming Marple AC has been published here:

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s127723/Constitutional%20Review%20-%20Area%20Committee%20Main%20Report.pdf.

It's pretty strongly against the name change and hopefully will guide any decisions that are to be made by the council.

It's interesting that this time the written comments from people taking part have not been included in the report. I wonder why?

@CllrGeoffAbell @CllrKennyBlair @TomDowseMarpleSouth @Malcolm Allan
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
@marpleexile  and @andrewbowden thanks for those comments - no offence taken.  I do sympathise with what you said.

The best way to prove any particular area is listened to is by doing the casework, holding surgeries, going to residents' meetings and so forth.  The Neighbour Plan is a particularly good way for people to shape Marple and there are nascent schemes in High Lane and Mellor+Marple-Bridge+Compstall.  It can feel as if stuff happens a long way away from residents - I'd like to change that rather than a name.

I hope and trust all 6 cllrs in the area listen and act, whatever there politic colours.