Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Traffic on Hibbert Lane  (Read 8650 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Traffic on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
The Poynton scheme is excellent for persuading people to avoid Poynton if possible. I very much doubt it does anything for road safety, except possibly to reduce it.

Actually accident rates in Poynton decreased according to this article
https://www.citymetric.com/skylines/shared-spaces-clever-trick-safer-roads-or-step-backwards-chaos-981

Not entirely surprising.  Speeds also reduced and there's a direct link between speed and accidents.  if you're going slower, it's easier to respond.  And if something does happen, anyone being hit by a car going at 20mph will escape with minor injuries, compared to 30mph.

Condate

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
The Poynton scheme is excellent for persuading people to avoid Poynton if possible. I very much doubt it does anything for road safety, except possibly to reduce it.

Condate

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
Hmmm..... From the picture, it looks like an interesting way to wreck Marple. I'll have to read the document later. Personally, I very much like Marple as it is now and yes I do walk into and in the town as well as driving through. I've never had a problem as a pedestrian. The anti-car nonsense one comes across all too often is just as daft as the occasional nonsense from a few motorists who think pedestrians should not exist.

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »
Generally - as a motorist and a pedestrian - I think the standard belief that the car should reign supreme is wrong and that we need to look at rebalancing our environments.  Making them a nice place to be should be welcomed.  (This is equally why I do not understand suggestions I have seen that we should re-open Market Street to cars.)  More people using public transport should be encouraged (equally we need better public transport.) 

What I am anti is vision photos that show unrealistic experiences.  I've only driven through Poynton once, but it was a horrible experience on a Saturday afternoon - cars clogged up everywhere.  Safe to say as a motorist it probably did its job in that I never want to drive through Poynton again.  However as I was heading to the Anson Engine Museum, I had no choice! 

I think we can safely say that a realistic photograph for Marple with such a scheme in place would involve a LOT more cars, and probably pedestrians trying to weave themselves in between them because there's no longer a defined crossing. 

Let's not beat around the bush.  The only way we'll see a significant improvement in the area is with fewer cars on the road.  Without that, everything else is pretty irrelevant.

wheels

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
The question must surely be who should have priority in places like Poynton or the one illustrated above, is it local people walking about doing there shopping etc or is it traffic basting through to Chester, the airport ,  Stockport and Hayfield and beyond.

Do we not all accept that there is a hierarchy on our roads and for traffic management schemes being pedestrians,  horse riders, cyclists,  public transport vehicles and finally car users.

If we as a society don't accept that we have a problem.

ROTHERS

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »
The Poynton scheme is excellent for equalising pedestrian/vehicle management. So vehicle's have to take second place and are delayed a little, does it really matter if road safety is improved which it has been.
Delayed a little ?? Is there stats to prove that road safety in poynton has improved ?

wheels

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
The Poynton scheme is excellent for equalising pedestrian/vehicle management. So vehicle's have to take second place and are delayed a little, does it really matter if road safety is improved which it has been.

andrewbowden

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:48 AM »
Look in the distance on that picture.  You'll see loads of traffic.  Look in the foreground.  No traffic.

I know which is more representative of reality.

ROTHERS

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
hmm. - help to reduce traffic congestion...  The picture looks like its Poynton, and we all know how wonderful (not) it is trying to get around there since the changes.
So, its a no from me.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 06:46:54 AM »
Marple Civic Society has unveiled their alternate vision for Marple Town Centre:

Click here to read more about this on their web site.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
The lights themselves are controlled by a unit (of people that is!) at TfGM (Transport for Greater Manchester). 
SMBC are shortly conducting there own survey of Marple town centre usage - cars, lorries, buses, bikes and pedestrians.  At least we'll know the current situation before any changes are suggested.

So I am pleased to say we've not been forgotten in the big Stockport building works that are going on at the moment (A6, Stockport Ho,mes HQ, Redrock and the space outside the station).

mikes

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »
it is not just that the lights are not synced properly, but the awful and inconsiderate parking on Stockport road restricts the flow of traffic.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
Just wait to the Morris Homes development is fully built and occupied the queues will be right back to before Buxton Lane and maybe even worse.
The traffic is frequently backed up past Buxton Lane and those in the know are starting to  cut through the council estate. It isn't just early morning and evening, either. I've been jammed there at 11am and mid afternoon.

I've been saying for a long time that the traffic lights aren't sync'd properly but was sneered at on this site.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »
That's a great idea. It needs to go hand in hand with the demolition of Marple's ugliest buildings, the Hollins row of shops. The resulting space could then be landscaped, planted with trees, and with a newly built and attractively designed cafe with external seating (Costa Coffee could have it if they wanted!).  There would be more space for the buses, and a bit of short-term parking (max 30 minutes). Stockport Road would be widened between Hollins Lane and the cinema to allow traffic waiting to turn right into Hollins Lane and Trinity Street to do so without causing a blockage. You could even consider laying Poynton- style 'shared space' paving across the road, to slow down the traffic and create a link with Market Street.

That would create a 'centre' for the town, which it sorely lacks at the moment.

Just a thought.........
Great idea Dave lets get rid of shops so people can go elswere and shop .you will be sugesting they buld on the park next .

Dave

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »
I vaguely recall a plan to widen the junction at this point, but that seems a bit drastic.

That's a great idea. It needs to go hand in hand with the demolition of Marple's ugliest buildings, the Hollins row of shops. The resulting space could then be landscaped, planted with trees, and with a newly built and attractively designed cafe with external seating (Costa Coffee could have it if they wanted!).  There would be more space for the buses, and a bit of short-term parking (max 30 minutes). Stockport Road would be widened between Hollins Lane and the cinema to allow traffic waiting to turn right into Hollins Lane and Trinity Street to do so without causing a blockage. You could even consider laying Poynton- style 'shared space' paving across the road, to slow down the traffic and create a link with Market Street.

That would create a 'centre' for the town, which it sorely lacks at the moment.

Just a thought.........