Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Traffic on Hibbert Lane  (Read 8753 times)

Cyberman

Re: Traffic on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
I have a theory, following observations on Fri at 5:30. Very few cars got through the Hollins Lane (Natwest) lights in the Glossop direction because four cars were waiting to turn right into Trinity St, and cars couldn't pass on the left because of a vehicle parked at the Hollins bus stop. The whole junction was blocked in the Glossop direction for almost the whole cycle.

Would reversing the flow of Trinity St (i.e. back to its original direction) improve things?  Also I vaguely recall a plan to widen the junction at this point, but that seems a bit drastic.

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »
Perfect case when I was walking back from the swimming pool.  Traffic stationary on Stockport Road, so no traffic could even get out of Hibbert Lane.

corium

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
From what I can tell, problems tend to arise in three main time bands - 8-9, 12-1 and 5-6.  It's rush hour in Marple!

I'd amend these times to make the last 4-6, not every day but often the traffic is backed up towards the  Morris homes site c 1615.

To me it's about a v slight change in the timings. The trouble turning right only seems to happen every alternate change of the lights and is caused by the lights at the Natwest bank. From memory it only started when the road was resurfaced and the light controls redone. it may be a nuisance now but if as many expect the volume of traffic increases one the SEMMS Road is opened then the issues will become more widespread if more traffic starts to divert via Buxton Road

andrewbowden

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »
From what I can tell, problems tend to arise in three main time bands - 8-9, 12-1 and 5-6.  It's rush hour in Marple!

Little more seriously, in my experience it's delays turning right into Stockport Road.  You turn right then pretty much always get immediately hit by a red light at the junction of Hollins Lane.  If that red light has backed up with traffic from Stockport Road, it's difficult for drivers to get out of Hibbert Lane, so backing up starts.  And once it starts, it gets worse and worse. 

What's the solution?  Changing the Hollins Lane traffic lights to favour Hibbert Lane drivers would just cause backing up on Stockport Road. 

the rover

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:25:26 AM »
Just wait to the Morris Homes development is fully built and occupied the queues will be right back to before Buxton Lane and maybe even worse.

Jay

Traffic on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »
What is up with the traffic on Hibbert Lane? It's constantly backed up to Brindly Ave and sometimes to Edwards Way. Are the lights completely out of sync!