Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Mayoral and General Elections 2017  (Read 31475 times)

andy+kirsty

Re: Mayoral and General Elections 2017
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 11:21:03 AM »
I think it is a fair point.

What concerns do you have that you hope the elected representative shares or at least has an understanding of.

Energy prices? Other utilities? Food prices and sustainability? Council Tax? making sure you can pay the bills and keep a roof above your and your families head - what happens if it doesn't go to plan?

The cost of home ownership, insurance etc etc.

Cooking for yourself and doing your own washing?!

On an income of 74K and is on record saying he can't save enough for a deposit - and they want us to believe that the Tories are economically literate! - everyone else I meet seem to have managed to save up on much less!

I don't vote for his lot but I think it's a bit unfair to complain because he lives with his Mum!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
According to @CllrGeoffAbell last year, this is how Marple voted:

In case this wasn't reported elsewhere, Marple N voted to remain whilst Marple S voted out.

Stockport and Manchester as a whole voted to remain too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andy+kirsty

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
Just a thought....

If Ed Balls stood in Hazel Grove we could have a 'Balls in Willy out' campaing.

It'd certainly liven things up.

Dave

Re: Why should I trust you again?!!?? Shame on you !
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 07:33:34 AM »
I'm struggling to find the point you are making. Could you clarify please?

@sanya made two points, which seem pretty obvious to me:

1.  That our MP is under investigation by the police for committing election fraud, a serious crime which can lead to penalties up to and including imprisonment.  This is relevant to the forthcoming election, obviously, as he is standing for re-election.

2.  That whilst Wragg is a supporter of Brexit, Hazel Grove voted remain in the EU referendum, but as others have pointed out, that is incorrect.

That said, the majority for Brexit in this constituency was a very narrow one (52%/48%), the same as in the UK as a whole. So we voted for Brexit, but only just. So rather than being hell-bent on a 'hard Brexiit', the Government should obviously be reflecting that by aiming for as 'soft' a Brexit as possible - for example, by remaining in the European Economic Area, like our neighbours Norway and Iceland.  That kind of compromise would be a true representation of the narrowness of the vote, and could have united the country in the way that Theresa May says she wants to.   But our weak Prime Minister  is a puppet, and the puppet-masters are the Daily Mail and the right wing of her party.

JMC

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »
Err, not according to the generally published results which have Hazel Grove voting 52.2% leave.  That figure came from the Stockport Council website originally, but the page appears to no longer exist. Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources I know)  still shows that figure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016#North_West_England

I think Stockport and Manchester were remain and that's what many refer to. As you say, Wikipedia not always reliable.

Even if HG had voted remain, Wragg would still have voted to leave. Brexit has always been his priority.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
20 March 2017: BBC News

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/probe-2015-election-expenses-involves-12754696
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000738

Great Manchester Police -GMP names three constituencies in expenses probe

A file relating to alleged electoral fraud in three Greater Manchester constituencies has been passed to prosecutors, police have confirmed. Conservative Party electoral expenses during the 2015 General Election are being investigated in Bury North, Cheadle and Hazel Grove, said Greater Manchester Police.
Thirteen police forces in the UK have asked the Crown Prosecution Service to consider charges.
The party was fined a record £70,000 last week for breaking election expense rules.

PS  Majority in our constituency  voted Remain last year but YOU betrayed our trust and voted Brexit. Why should I trust you again.

I'm struggling to find the point you are making. Could you clarify please?

Condate

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »

PS  Majority in our constituency  voted Remain last year but YOU betrayed our trust and voted Brexit. Why should I trust you again.

Err, not according to the generally published results which have Hazel Grove voting 52.2% leave.  That figure came from the Stockport Council website originally, but the page appears to no longer exist. Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources I know)  still shows that figure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016#North_West_England

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
If it's the blue flag with the gold 3 wheatsheaves & the sword it's one of my neighbours who seems to buy a job lot of random flags & fly them. Never knew this was the Cheshire flag.
It looked a bit odd when I was driving past. Wasn't it upside down?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
I hope Wragg has a humiliating defeat.

Small minded little englander that 'earns' £74k, still lives with his Mum and voted to cut disability benefits.

He has voted to cut school funding which leaves all schools in the local are much worse off - www.schoolcuts.org.uk

He hasn't responded to a great many enquiries or requests for support from friends and neighbours.

For those who share this view search Facebook for GetWillyOut or WomenAgainstWilly
I don't vote for his lot but I think it's a bit unfair to complain because he lives with his Mum!

sanya

Why should I trust you again?!!?? Shame on you !
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
20 March 2017: BBC News

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/probe-2015-election-expenses-involves-12754696
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000738

Great Manchester Police -GMP names three constituencies in expenses probe

A file relating to alleged electoral fraud in three Greater Manchester constituencies has been passed to prosecutors, police have confirmed. Conservative Party electoral expenses during the 2015 General Election are being investigated in Bury North, Cheadle and Hazel Grove, said Greater Manchester Police.
Thirteen police forces in the UK have asked the Crown Prosecution Service to consider charges.
The party was fined a record £70,000 last week for breaking election expense rules.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
This is Marple, not Stockport.  A train journey from Marple to Chester (if you were enough of a masochist to try it) would take over two hours, changing at Piccadilly and Stockport, and using the UK's worst train, the noisy, cramped, uncomfortable Class 142 'Pacer'. No thanks!

Yes, aren't the Stockport- Chester trains also Pacers?

Yet another reminder that Marple is crying out for 'any' kind of rail service to Stockport. 

I'd be very interested to find out what the prospective Mayoral candidates would do about the rail/tram network, assuming it's in their remit (I believe transport policy is?)

Dave

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 07:52:08 AM »
There is a direct train every hour between Stockport and Chester, and more which are the same journey time if you connect at Crewe.

This is Marple, not Stockport.  A train journey from Marple to Chester (if you were enough of a masochist to try it) would take over two hours, changing at Piccadilly and Stockport, and using the UK's worst train, the noisy, cramped, uncomfortable Class 142 'Pacer'. No thanks!

JMC

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
I hope Wragg has a humiliating defeat.

Small minded little englander that 'earns' £74k, still lives with his Mum and voted to cut disability benefits.

He has voted to cut school funding which leaves all schools in the local are much worse off - www.schoolcuts.org.uk

He hasn't responded to a great many enquiries or requests for support from friends and neighbours.

For those who share this view search Facebook for GetWillyOut or WomenAgainstWilly

Agreed.

Condate

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
Not the house I'm thinking of. The one I'm referring to is up Longhurst Lane, roughly opposite the memorial park.

The one I saw was the one you are talking about in Longhurst Lane. I do see the various flags at the other one quite often too.

amazon

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
@corium Is that the house at the top of Lower Fold? I always like to see what the "Flag of the Day" is!
Tom has a flag for every ocasion hes a great person as well .