Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Mayoral and General Elections 2017  (Read 31473 times)

Condate

Re: Mayoral and General Elections 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:29:56 PM »
Well I won't be voting in the mayoral election. I'll be out of the country, but if I were not, I'd still either not vote, or spoil the ballot paper, probably by writing "no mayor wanted here", or "this is not Greater Manchester".  I think it's an absolute disgrace to have a mayor for the fictional (except in a purely legalistic sense) Greater Manchester and the sooner the mayor and for that matter the Greater Manchester Combined Authority are abolished the better.

As for the General Election, let's see who the candidates are. If the awful Lisa Smart stands for the Lib Dems, I might have to vote for Mr Wragg, just to help keep her out. I heard her at the hustings last time and I think I'd vote for almost anyone else to keep her out based on that (which is all I have to go on as far as her specifically is concerned).  Ideally, I'd like to see an independent candidate win, as I don't believe the present party system is acceptable. Any system where an MP votes according to what his or her party wants, regardless of personal beliefs is far from democratic.

JMC

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
I think Lib Dem will do very well. Wragg doesn't seem popular and, as mentioned above, many people report not hearing back from him.  His voting record is appalling including voting for cuts to disability benefits and to the working poor.  Also people won't take him seriously living with his parents etc. Not really living in the real world.

ringi

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
I don’t think any of the MPs being investigated over the election expenses with the head office provided bus load of people did anything wrong.   The MPs were told by the party head offices that the expenses where national not local, and can’t be expected to be legal experts.

Not to say I like William Wragg as he has never responded to emails or letters I have send him, but I am not willing to vote for a party that wish to undo the vote of the British people.    It will just be like Ireland when they repeat the votes until the people vote the "correct" way.....

Howard

Mayoral and General Elections 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
From general chat it seems Andy Burham is a shoe-in for the Mayoral election.

However, the General Election for Hazel Grove may be more interesting. With William Wragg being named as one of the candidates being investigated by the Crown Prosecution Service plus any "Bregret" following the referendum, will he have less support? It also seems that Michael Taylor, who increased the vote for Labour significantly will not be standing so I'm wondering if we'll see a surge in support for Lisa Smart?

Discuss...