Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: 'Proposed highway scheme' in Marple Bridge?  (Read 9199 times)

Dave

Re: 'Proposed highway scheme' in Marple Bridge?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »
Even if the bus and train timetables were integrated (in theory), in practice the traffic congestion between Marple and Stockport is so bad that you can't rely on the buses running to time, so the connections would not be reliable.  For example, the 375 mentioned by Moorendman often arrives at its terminus on Shiloh Road some time after it is supposed to have started its return journey to Stockport.

Moorendman refers to a bus service to Roworth, but that stopped a few years ago because no-one used it.

I once asked Stagecoach why they run such big buses up to Mellor, when there are never more than two or three passengers.  I pointed out that a minibus would be sufficient, and would use much less fuel. They replied that they haven't got any minibuses! 

moorendman

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »
I suspect part of the answer is to better channel passengers to the station by public transport.  But that requires buses to service reliably and frequently to the places people want to go to, and would need a good integrated ticketing system (e.g. London's Travelcard system where your season ticket covers all modes of transport.)  We have neither.  If you were commuting from Mellor, would you wait for your hourly 375, or would you drive to the station?  I know what I'd do.

This is a good point, it's the reason most people commute into Manchester by train in the first place. Whilst an integrated ticket system would be certainly nice to have, it woud be good if the existing public transport was joined up. For instance , the hourly 375 from Mellor arrives in Marple Bridge conveniently just after the train leaves and does not dovetail with the 383/384. There is no service after 6pm and none on a Sunday. It pointlessly terminates at nowhere in particular on Shiloh road ( carefully avoiding continuing an extra mile to Rowarth which has to put up with a twice weekly service)  and then it waits on Shiloh road for a few minutes presumably to ensure that it does not link with any other trains or buses. Its route overall is tortuous, if you wanted to travel to Stockport you would need to take a supply of food and a sleeping bag as it takes so long.

The solution would be a smaller vehicle , more frequent and working on a hail and ride basis.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
A better solution to the New Mills (and similar) residents coming to Marple would be to extend the area covered by TFGM to include the likes of New Mills which, practically speaking, are far closer (geographically and culturally) to Manchester than they are Derby.

Fair point - that way there would be no incentive in driving over to Marple.
The Brabyns short stay pass idea is also worth exploring.

marpleexile

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
It is also apparent that many Derbyshire residents from New Mills and similar places take advantage of cheaper rail fares from Marple ( TFGM funded ! ) and free parking in a car park maintained by Stockport MBC using Stockport council tax revenue. A radical but effective solution would be to make that car park a 4 hour maximum stay from Monday to Friday.

A better solution to the New Mills (and similar) residents coming to Marple would be to extend the area covered by TFGM to include the likes of New Mills which, practically speaking, are far closer (geographically and culturally) to Manchester than they are Derby.

andrewbowden

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 12:50:33 PM »
The problem with station car parking is going to be a case of supply and demand.  The greater the supply, the more demand there will be.  There will never be enough parking capacity at a station like Marple.  The car parks get full, cars spill into surrounding streets and car parks, and lo, the cycle continues.

I suspect part of the answer is to better channel passengers to the station by public transport.  But that requires buses to service reliably and frequently to the places people want to go to, and would need a good integrated ticketing system (e.g. London's Travelcard system where your season ticket covers all modes of transport.)  We have neither.  If you were commuting from Mellor, would you wait for your hourly 375, or would you drive to the station?  I know what I'd do.

moorendman

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
After I put up my post , i realised that the 4 hour limit would penalise some. Perhaps some form of all day pass could be issued in limited numbers to businesses in Marple Bridge. I have often thought that an innovative scheme of passes for car parks in Stockport and other vouchers could be included in our Council tax.

Extending the car park behind the Purple Pakora would be a start but i fear would just encourage more use by rail users from outside the Marple area. Also there is question of cost, I am not sure who owns that car park. Is it Stockport MBC or perhaps Network Rail.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
The 5 parking spaces on Town street opposite South Seven are definitely part of the problem. I drive through at least once or twice a day at varying times and there are always hold ups caused by these few spaces. It also appears that often these spaces are taken by vehicles belonging to some of the local shop and business owners and their staff, the same cars and vans invariably are parked there. The small car park opposite Sherlocks hairdressers is also used by people working in Marple Bridge as it costs only £1.80 to park there all day.

The numbers of cars parked on Longhurst lane has definitely increased during the 12 years I have lived in Mellor which is possibly due to the changing demographic of the village from older people without cars to younger, more affluent families with more than one car.

There is also the problem of either abject stupidity or bloody-mindedness with a rise in the numbers of vehicles parked directly opposite each other, sometimes with wing mirrors folded in , which cause more hold ups.

The 375 bus is now bigger than it used to be despite smaller numbers using the service and Stagecoach will on occasion run a double decker on this route which is simply for their own scheduling convenience as the capacity is certainly not required on this route.

The root cause of all the problems of parking in this area however continues to be the free parking on the first Brabyns Brow car park which should be the natural place for people to park who work and shop in Marple Bridge to park. This facility is undoubtedly exploited by commuters travelling from Marple Station and there are few spaces left after 7.30 to 8 am. It is also apparent that many Derbyshire residents from New Mills and similar places take advantage of cheaper rail fares from Marple ( TFGM funded ! ) and free parking in a car park maintained by Stockport MBC using Stockport council tax revenue. A radical but effective solution would be to make that car park a 4 hour maximum stay from Monday to Friday.

I know of some local residents who use that car park as well. Short stay could improve things but if workers in Marple Bridge use it all day, then it would penalise them and we'd be back where we are regarding Town Street. Tricky.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 07:27:12 AM »
And an even better solution would be to extend the car park behind the Purple Pakora so that more rail commuters can park there, thereby freeing up space nearer the village for the rest of us. 

moorendman

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »
The 5 parking spaces on Town street opposite South Seven are definitely part of the problem. I drive through at least once or twice a day at varying times and there are always hold ups caused by these few spaces. It also appears that often these spaces are taken by vehicles belonging to some of the local shop and business owners and their staff, the same cars and vans invariably are parked there. The small car park opposite Sherlocks hairdressers is also used by people working in Marple Bridge as it costs only £1.80 to park there all day.

The numbers of cars parked on Longhurst lane has definitely increased during the 12 years I have lived in Mellor which is possibly due to the changing demographic of the village from older people without cars to younger, more affluent families with more than one car.

There is also the problem of either abject stupidity or bloody-mindedness with a rise in the numbers of vehicles parked directly opposite each other, sometimes with wing mirrors folded in , which cause more hold ups.

The 375 bus is now bigger than it used to be despite smaller numbers using the service and Stagecoach will on occasion run a double decker on this route which is simply for their own scheduling convenience as the capacity is certainly not required on this route.

The root cause of all the problems of parking in this area however continues to be the free parking on the first Brabyns Brow car park which should be the natural place for people to park who work and shop in Marple Bridge to park. This facility is undoubtedly exploited by commuters travelling from Marple Station and there are few spaces left after 7.30 to 8 am. It is also apparent that many Derbyshire residents from New Mills and similar places take advantage of cheaper rail fares from Marple ( TFGM funded ! ) and free parking in a car park maintained by Stockport MBC using Stockport council tax revenue. A radical but effective solution would be to make that car park a 4 hour maximum stay from Monday to Friday.

corium

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »
Apologies Dave managed to combine my response with your quote.

Sorted - Admin :)

corium

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
I agree that parking on lower Longhurst Lane is an increasing problem, but many of those houses don't have drives or garages, so they have got to park somewhere, I guess. 

More houses than might appear have parking but I know some don't use it so they don't get blocked in. if you go there c 2100 there is  little parked traffic & none that causes a problem suggesting that the problems are essentially the volume trying to use Marple Bridge. But I agree enforcement might be an appropriate additional first step

Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »
I agree that parking on lower Longhurst Lane is an increasing problem, but many of those houses don't have drives or garages, so they have got to park somewhere, I guess. 

But the main problem in Town Street is caused by delivery vans parking on double yellow lines.  If the double yellows were strictly enforced Town Street would be fine.

Corium writes
An effective & relatively simple start would be to remove the on-street parking slots opposite South 7. Though these are valuable spaces they are the biggest single cause of  of the problems I see.

Actually there is something to be said for retaining those parking spaces, as the effect of them is to slow down traffic through the village. If those parking spaces were removed some drivers would go too fast.

As for the survey on Hollins Lane, I seem to recall that the big field at the top of the lane , bordered by Hollins Lane and Ley Lane, was zoned for new housing in that Greater Manchester strategic housing plan.  If so, there would obviously be an impact on traffic on Hollins Lane.   

ringi

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
Would parking enforcement CCTV mounted on the fount of the 375 bus help?

corium

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »
Well something needs to be done as it's getting worse by the week. It needs to include the bottom part of Longhurst Lane, say up to the old police houses as this has been completely impassable to larger vehicles (think the 375 bus & emergency vehicles) several times in recent weeks with on at least 2 occasions I'm aware of, the 375 having to abandon the trip up the hill.

An effective & relatively simple start would be to remove the on-street parking slots opposite South 7. Though these are valuable spaces they are the biggest single cause of  of the problems I see.

Tcadams

'Proposed highway scheme' in Marple Bridge?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »
Hi,

I live just off Hollins Lane in Marple Bridge, and I've had a letter from the council through my door saying they're going to be carrying out "detailed highway surveying works" as the "initial part of a proposed highway scheme in the area"

Does anyone know what this proposed scheme might be? I've tried searching google and can't seem to find any reference to it on the council site or elsewhere.

A scheme to slow cars down on Hollins Lane and reduce parking on the double-yellows at the bottom would be great, but if it's the crazy half-rumour I heard a few months ago (that one of the councillors had suggested turning the whole of Town Street, Hollins Lane and Constable Drive into a big one way system) then that would be terrible!

Thanks
Tom