A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: POPPY APPEAL in Marple back on track for 2017!  (Read 382 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: POPPY APPEAL in Marple back on track for 2017!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
Good for you Henri! I've found people to be very generous when I've been on the Poppy Stall in the Co-Op and ASDA in recent years.

Anyway, great that we are talking about this and that there's a new team on the job for 2017.

A special email address that you can use to contact the organisers has now been set up.

Just use poppyappeal@marple-uk.com to send an email to all three of the organisers mentioned below.
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

Re: POPPY APPEAL in Marple back on track for 2017!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
Why are there no actual street collections in Marple? The customers used to be a lot more generous to poor frozen collectors out-of-doors than they were when I last collected which was in the old Co-op. Even a hard stare at the people who were trying to avoid us didn't work, despite placing myself where they practically had to climb over me to get out of the store.

I used to be very good at street Poppy collections when I lived in Marple in the early 1980s. My coup was £10 note from a Japanese gentleman (yes he did ask what it was all about and I did explain.) The prime morning spot back then was outside the post office on Stockport road. Stand in front of the door, not near enough to block the entrance but close enough for people to have to walk round you. I always did well there!!

Despite my advanced age I'd still be prepared to stand in the street if required. I once chased a thief down Market Street after he snatched the collecting tin out of the shop I was in. He abandoned the tin after a 100 yards or so (he threw it at me!) - I think he was embarrassed by this harpy in a pinny running after him yelling "STOP THIEF" at the top of her voice!

Don't look for the light at the end of the tunnel -  stomp along there and turn the bl**dy thing on yourself!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
POPPY APPEAL in Marple back on track for 2017!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
Posted on behalf of the new RBL Poppy Team for Marple:

THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION: 2017 POPPY APPEAL

Marple, Marple Bridge, Mellor and Compstall

You may be aware that last year's appeal was not very successful for various reasons, some of which are detailed in other threads.

For this year's appeal a new team has taken over the running of the event and the purpose of this article is to make everyone aware that we need your assistance and help to make it a success this year.

We intend to make this event an all Marple effort in that we will deliver the poppies and boxes to all venues as previously on our lists.

If you are not sure you are on our lists and would like to have a poppy collection box in your place of work then please let us know.

In addition to the Poppy collection boxes, various types of wreaths are available, although these need to be ordered in good time prior to Remembrance Sunday.

We will collect the collection boxes after Remembrance Sunday, count the monies locally and deposit the funds in a local bank.

You will be notified afterwards of the total collected at your venue and the overall amount for the area.

Wreaths will be issued as previous years, but could past recipients please confirm requirements to Ron Townley. Anyone new requiring a wreath please also contact Ron.

For local Poppy collections in Marple, Marple Bridge, Mellor and Compstall locations please call Mike Openshaw.

For overall enquiries including volunteers to collect in the ASDA store, please call Kevin Murray.

The last properly organised Poppy Appeal in 2015 resulted in a fantastic collection of over £10,000 in Marple. Please help us make this year even bigger.

Should you require any further information or wish to volunteer your help, please contact any of the organisers below:

Ron Townley: 0161 943 8863 (Wreaths)
Kevin Murray: 07954 388782 (General enquiries and ASDA collections)
Mike Openshaw: 07739 260372 (Collection boxes in shops, businesses, schools and other locations).

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website