Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Planning needed? Convex road mirror  (Read 3679 times)

Hoffnung

Re: Planning needed? Convex road mirror
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Yes, Rabbit, this is a bit more complicated than it seems.

Stockport M.B.C  do not support the erection of mirrors at blinds spots. The reason given is that a mirror gives a distorted image and is not a true reflection, pardon the unintended pun. Thus actually hindering judgement and not helping it.  Having said that, there are a few that have been erected in the area either a long time ago or in defiance of this refusal.

My understanding of the situation is that in the event of an incident(god forbid) your insurance claim may not be as straightforward as you think. So wise to check with your insurers first. As if that's not bad enough the owners of the Telegraph Pole could have a liability in the event of an accident. So they will almost certainly refuse permission.     

Rabbit

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
Thanks All - Geoff I will send you an email.  Re. the issue with the speed of oncoming traffic, I can understand this, but it's quite probably a case of either being able to see what's coming (and maybe not be able to judge the speed accurately), or not seeing it at all. 
I'm going to our new house this weekend to check a few things so I will make a mental note of how I get on trying to pull off the drive and report back. :)

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
Thanks for picking this up Geoff, I'd need to dig deeper too as I don't know the answer!

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »
According to the DoT they are not happy putting up those mirrors in non-rural areas as it's hard to tell the speed of oncoming traffic.  Not saying I agree, but that's what officers told me.

Email me and I'll dig a bit deeper.

the rover

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
You would also have to get permission from whoever owns the pole (BT?)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »
One of our local councillors may know about this. Can you advise please @CllrGeoffAbell @CllrKennyBlair or @Malcolm Allan ?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Razzle24

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:12:23 PM »
I would ask the council.

Rabbit

Planning needed? Convex road mirror
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
Afternoon All,

Our new MB house is on a slight bend, and when we came away from viewing the property we noted that as you drive out of the drive onto the road it's hard to tell what's coming.  Opposite the property is a telephone pole, and I have wondered about putting something like this up to help us - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40cm-Convex-Mirror-Outdoor-Car-Driveway-Garage-Safety-Security-Blind-Spot-Bend-/142013369283

I've noticed several in the area, but having never needed to put one up before I don't know if it's something I need permissions for, and if so, would it be a local council thing, or a road policing thing?

I wouldn't be particularly happy not having one as it really is quite a blind bend, especially to the right, and I'd hate to have a collision with another motorist or cyclist.

Can anyone shed any light?