All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Rights of Way  (Read 5878 times)

Dave

Re: Rights of Way
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
I agree, rambler - some cyclists go too fast and are inconsiderate to walkers and horse riders. But that's not 'vandalism'!

marplerambler

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
..it is ridiculous and inflammatory to describe cyclists as 'vandals'.

As a cyclist who does not drive a car I know that you are, of course, absolutely right. The problem is that there are a minority of cycling users of the Middlewood Way (which is not a public right of way it is a Concessionary Route on which the owner Network Rail can reinstate train/tram/buslane services). I just wish that some of the cyclists could take out their earphones, put a bell on their bike (I don't have eyes in the back of my head) and slow down. Getting older (and deafer) using the Middlewood Way on an almost daily basis to walk to the bus stop is not always pleasant when speeding cyclists sometimes miss by inches. Why the heck can't other cyclists be as considerate as me??? I ring my bell a couple of times and if the walker doesn't hear me I slow down to walking speed while I overtake and say thanks to the walker for sidestepping. Why can't other cyclists do the same?

Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
The popularisation of mountain bikes has resulted in the mass destruction of the surfaces of many routes by the vandalism of mountain bikes. Bridleways are an asset for the quiet enjoyment of the countryside by walkers and horses and not for mountain bikers who care little for the safety of other users.  The survey should also include a further question ensuring the safety of users by excluding speeding mountain bikes - if a cycle wants fast and easy access between points the solution is construction of bicycle lanes adjacent to our busy roads and not an increase in the number of bikes on our public rights of way network.

We are very fortunate to have a wonderful network of rights of way in this area, and it's great that they are open to all kinds of legitimate users.  As a regular walker on them, I for one have absolutely no problem with sharing the bridleways with horse riders and cyclists, and it is ridiculous and inflammatory to describe cyclists as 'vandals'.

The only problem is the occasional convoy of motorbikes, and we should all take their registration numbers (if we can read them through the mud!) and report them to the police, as they are breaking the law if they use a bridleway.   

marplerambler

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »
Be very aware cautious when completing this questionnaire that this survey has absolutely nothing to do with most roads and metalled pavements in Stockport MBC : these roads and pavements with a legal status of 'adopted highway' have a very separate legal status and body of law from 'public rights of way' ie public footpaths and public bridleways.  Stockport MBC first of all has neither the legal authority or the resources to maintain public bridleways to a standard appropriate for cyclists - roads ie adopted highways are the legal routes which should be maintained to a standard appropriate for safe usage by cyclists - cyclists have since 1968 had the legal right to use bridleways but it must be emphasised that the Council has absolutely no legal right to maintain bridleways nor does it have the resources to maintain bridleways to a standard appropriate for cyclists. Many private roads in Marple, Marple Bridge, Mellor and Strines also have the legal status of bridleway - unauthorised cars or motorbikes trespass upon the land: the Council is not responsible for maintaining them to a standard appropriate for usage by car or bike. If the landowner wishes to maintain the route to a high standard it is up to him - ditto if he wishes to neglect the route to prevent unauthorised usage he need not spend his own money.

The survey is deficient because this is not made clear. Bridleways became accessible to cyclists in 1968 when bicycles were not generally built to cope with the poor surfaces of bridleways. The popularisation of mountain bikes has resulted in the mass destruction of the surfaces of many routes by the vandalism of mountain bikes. Bridleways are an asset for the quiet enjoyment of the countryside by walkers and horses and not for mountain bikers who care little for the safety of other users.  The survey should also include a further question ensuring the safety of users by excluding speeding mountain bikes - if a cycle wants fast and easy access between points the solution is construction of bicycle lanes adjacent to our busy roads and not an increase in the number of bikes on our public rights of way network.

amazon

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 04:23:42 PM »
We may have an opportunity to influence Stockport MBC on how it treats the Rights of Way in the area.

My own opinion is that many of the Rights of Way in Stockport could be used to access the shops, schools, stations etc if only the surface were brought up to a standard suitable for that use. Many are muddy and rough and not somewhere you would use in every day shoes and clothing.

The Government is trying to encourage more active travel and several of our traditional footpaths and bridleways should be available for this use and also to enable those with mobility scooters , pushchairs etc to use in comfort and without getting them covered in mud.

Please consider the following survey and persuade our Council to make many of our Rights of Way accessible to all.

Stockport Rights of Way Improvement Plan Consultation – Deadline 17th March

Stockport Council is in the process of reviewing its 2007 Rights of Way Improvement Plan. This plan is designed to: assess the extent to which the local rights of way meet the needs of the present and likely future needs for the public. In order to produce a rights of way improvement plan the local authority first has to assess the current state of the network and the current and potential future needs of users and potential users.

I have been sent a link to our online survey https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=148473807071

This questionnaire is the first part of a two part consultation process to review the ROWIP for Stockport and we would be grateful if you and your members/ service users would take the time to fill in the questionnaire.

Stockport Council would also like to invite you to share the questionnaire link online via social media. This would help us to ensure increased visibility of the questionnaire and its related review, whilst enabling as many of your social media followers as possible to get involved.

The questionnaire will also be available in Stockport libraries if you need a hard copy.

If you have any questions please contact transportation@stockport.gov.uk.
Filed in and sent thanks for posting

CTCREP

Rights of Way
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
We may have an opportunity to influence Stockport MBC on how it treats the Rights of Way in the area.

My own opinion is that many of the Rights of Way in Stockport could be used to access the shops, schools, stations etc if only the surface were brought up to a standard suitable for that use. Many are muddy and rough and not somewhere you would use in every day shoes and clothing.

The Government is trying to encourage more active travel and several of our traditional footpaths and bridleways should be available for this use and also to enable those with mobility scooters , pushchairs etc to use in comfort and without getting them covered in mud.

Please consider the following survey and persuade our Council to make many of our Rights of Way accessible to all.

Stockport Rights of Way Improvement Plan Consultation – Deadline 17th March

Stockport Council is in the process of reviewing its 2007 Rights of Way Improvement Plan. This plan is designed to: assess the extent to which the local rights of way meet the needs of the present and likely future needs for the public. In order to produce a rights of way improvement plan the local authority first has to assess the current state of the network and the current and potential future needs of users and potential users.

I have been sent a link to our online survey https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=148473807071

This questionnaire is the first part of a two part consultation process to review the ROWIP for Stockport and we would be grateful if you and your members/ service users would take the time to fill in the questionnaire.

Stockport Council would also like to invite you to share the questionnaire link online via social media. This would help us to ensure increased visibility of the questionnaire and its related review, whilst enabling as many of your social media followers as possible to get involved.

The questionnaire will also be available in Stockport libraries if you need a hard copy.

If you have any questions please contact transportation@stockport.gov.uk.