A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Friends of Marple REC  (Read 17128 times)

Dave

Re: Friends of Marple REC
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »
Perhaps four kinds of people : the people who get things done which should be done; the people who get things done which are not necessarily wise , people who moan about the people who get things done which are not necessarily wise and people who moan about people who get things done regardless of whether it was wise or not.

It goes without saying that the people who moan about the people who get things done do so because they think they are 'unwise'.  The point I was trying to make is that you moaners were to get off your backsides and join those who 'get things done' then maybe we would then be able to benefit from your 'wisdom'. 😏

Victor M

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2017, 03:31:53 PM »
Which is a consequence of austerity and local government cuts - think carefully who you vote for

Agreed, unfortunately a lot of the electorate don't link the lack of council services with the Government cuts, they think it's down to the council.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »

Which is a consequence of austerity and local government cuts - think carefully who you vote for. 

That is the unfortunate consequence of having some unaccountable body taking over responsibility for the Rec. Should have pointed him in the direction of  the containers they put in the precinct which are in desperate need of a little TLC.

Victor M

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
Certain gentleman from Incredible Edible/MESS group was watering orchard on REC this evening. On 3 occasions he parked his car on the REC's green. When I approached him and warned him that he is not allowed to park the car on parks green he arrogantly told me : " I don' care! " and continued to water the trees.

That is the unfortunate consequence of having some unaccountable body taking over responsibility for the Rec. Should have pointed him in the direction of  the containers they put in the precinct which are in desperate need of a little TLC.

marpleexile

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
I'm not entirely sure how fruit bearing trees that help turn carbon dioxide into oxygen and fruit can ever be classed as a mistake ;)

I don't have a problem with the concept of the orchard. However, I do think that they made a massive mis-step in placing it where they did, right in the middle of the flat, fairly well used, part.

andrewbowden

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
I'm not entirely sure how fruit bearing trees that help turn carbon dioxide into oxygen and fruit can ever be classed as a mistake ;)

I presume they're apple trees.  Anyone planning a Marple Community Orchard Cider?  Would be a way to bring everyone together!  Or we could just tarmac it.  Whatever.

Condate

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »
Something needed doing about the condition of the Rec. That doesn't mean doing anything will do. Many people think planting the orchard was a bad idea and not what was needed and was rushed without proper debate and the whole thing hijacked by a small group which was not representative. Undoubtedly, the people responsible did and do sincerely believe it was a good idea.  In maintaining the orchard, they should behave responsibly and remain polite at all times. Let's just keep calm and wait a few years until it becomes abundantly clear whether the orchard is a success, or as many believe, a mistake.

amazon

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »
Andy

You forgot to mention it is also now a graveyard full of grieving and weeping relatives, and ghost of the dead come out at night and frighten the residents overlooking the REC.

Its now turned into hell on earth with the police involved, can't go on

You couldn't make it up could you. ;D
Could put the sorting office on there .then free up the space for a alldi were the sorting office is  .

Tillyed1

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Andy

You forgot to mention it is also now a graveyard full of grieving and weeping relatives, and ghost of the dead come out at night and frighten the residents overlooking the REC.

Its now turned into hell on earth with the police involved, can't go on

You couldn't make it up could you. ;D

andy+kirsty

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 10:00:20 AM »
I'm a little late to the party here, and I don't live within sight of the Rec so my opinion is worth considerably less than those who do, but, from what I can gather - and for those who need to catch up...

1 - The rec was always a grubby patch of land which didn't really do anything. (I have fond childhood memories of playing in the Memoria and Cromwell parks, none of the Rec)
2 - Some people have gotten together and raised some money to plant some trees which will flower and then fruit.
3 - Someone has watered them so they don't turn into a load of dead trees which will neither flower or fruit.
4 - Someone is complaining about this and suggesting that the police who are in the process of recovering the slaughtered bodies of children in Manchester should arrest a grey haired man for watering the trees.
5 - If the man hadn't have watered the trees someone would have written a post about people not caring for the trees that they didn’t want in the first place and that it is sad that the trees are now dead.
6 - This is bloody ridiculous

Ok, great.

Dave

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 08:53:12 AM »
Certain gentleman from Incredible Edible/MESS group was watering orchard on REC this evening. On 3 occasions he parked his car on the REC's green. When I approached him and warned him that he is not allowed to park the car on parks green he arrogantly told me : " I don' care! " and continued to water the trees. Should I have called police to report violence of the Rec’s ground?

That's a good example of the point I made earlier:

there are actually only two kinds of people: the people who get things done, and the people who moan about the people who get things done!

1.  In this weather, those trees will desperately need watering.
2.  The ground is bone dry so the car will have done no harm at all.
3.  Right now the police have a got more important things to do.

sanya

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:22 PM »
 :-\ :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]

sanya

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »
Certain gentleman from Incredible Edible/MESS group was watering orchard on REC this evening. On 3 occasions he parked his car on the REC's green. When I approached him and warned him that he is not allowed to park the car on parks green he arrogantly told me : " I don' care! " and continued to water the trees.
Should I have called police to report violence of the Rec’s ground?

For me, this incident just confirmed my suspicion on Incredible Edible/MESS  intention for the future of the REC. No interest in Rec or it's revival.
I have dropped my initiative to start Friends of Marple REC ( initial post) after #Geoff-t hijacked my proposals and turned it to Friends of Marple Orchard. Now we are all puzzled about their existence.
PS Memorabilia on Rec orchard have started to appear ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 05:14:03 PM »
They should be contactable via the details on the MESS web site http://marplemess.org.uk/incredible-edible

There is an email address, phone number and residential address listed on the site.

Or a PM to @geoff-t should also reach one of their members.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Victor M

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »
With regard to
"Do any of them live near the Rec ? “what’s that got to do with it

I have tried to find their presence on the net and can't, they are not listed on the council website under community orchards so I was wondering how you got in contact with them. I was wondering :-
  • What their plans for the Rec were, long and short term
  • Whether they planned to expand the Orchard?
  • If it was going to grow was there a cap on it's size
  • How you went about getting a tree planted if you wanted to
  • Do they hold open meetings