To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Friends of Marple REC  (Read 17131 times)

Malcolm Allan

Re: Friends of Marple REC
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
I thought it might help to add some more to what Geoff has posted below.
Firstly the Council have agreed to mow between the trees as part of their regular mowing work on the rec. The trees have been planted specifically to allow this.  The trees are dwarf stock and will not grow above 6 feet or so. Some are quite high already because MESS have bought mature trees. MESS in the form of Incredible Edible have committed to pruning and maintaining the trees. It might also be of interest that some park groups in this area have been offered pruning training by Cheshire Wildlife Trust. This is to help a number of volunteer groups maintain the fruit trees on their Parks. If anyone wants to see a mature community orchard properly maintained by volunteers, then the one at the entrance to Werneth Low Country Park, on Higham Lane is a good example. The tree density is not much less than the one on the rec and they have some non-dwarf stock, but it looks well maintained and I would think not at all obtrusive or unpleasant.
On Saturday’s planting Cllr Finnie was also there later on as well as myself and Geoff. I think I should add that all six Marple Area Councillors worked on this together. It was the Councillors who unanimously asked the planting was postponed in the light of objections and to ensure a consultation was carried out by the Council. Consequently, 120 letters were sent out, with 80 replies of which 52 (65%) were in favour and 28 (35%) were against. The results were summarised to councillors with details of the substance of objections that had been made. All of us looked very carefully at this along with legal advice and the wording in the Deed of Covenant, plus advice from planning, and the plans set out by MESS, such as the area they intended to use, the state of the ground, the spacing and the ongoing maintenance. I think I speak for us all when I say we worked hard to take everything we could into account before reaching a conclusion. The Trust Deed places any decision firmly in the hands of Stockport Council who are corporate trustee of the Deed, not local councillors or residents.
I know this has been a disappointing result for those people against the plan, and they will remain unhappy. I know most objectors were not against the orchard per se, just the location. However, a majority of people supported the idea, and many have already drawn much pleasure from the planting day alone. There were some touching stories unfolding on the day. The orchard will also encourage pollinating insects which could improve the quality of gardens in the immediate area. It is hoped the trees will also reduce, if not stop the motorcyclists and others who have been riding across this corner of the Park. There is also a good chance the trees will help drainage in that area. Trees also help to reduce air pollution and improve air quality through their own aspiration.
I’d like to see improvements made to the Rec and some objectors to the orchard would like it to be better too. I’m open to discussing and maybe promoting such ideas. I know the drainage needs to be improved along Arkwright Road and that the missing set of goal posts needs re-instating. To me it’s a valuable area of public land that we should cherish, use and enjoy.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
I'm sorry to correct you @CllrGeoffAbell but Incredible Edible haven't done anything in Memorial Park with vegetables. The veg patches in the park were created and are maintained by Marple Allotment Association, and a wonderful job they do too.

Incredible Edible did plant some Wild Harvest tree saplings provided by the Woodland Trust in the park back in 2014. These comprised a mix of Hazel, Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder and Dog Rose, some of which can be harvested for jams or left to feed the local birds and wildlife. Of course they have done lots of great veg planting around the town centre in the large wooden containers.

So corrected.  Thanks @admin

Razzle24

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 07:17:03 AM »
Rather than moaning - I think that we should be greatful that we have members of the community who are actively trying to improve our community. Apple trees do not grow huge - we have two in our garden that have never been pruned.

It also looks like a couple of the trees were damaged yesterday - let's hope that this is not an act of vandalism.

amazon

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
As my question regarding the pruning of these trees has not been answered I take it that no pruning will take place. The RHS web site states that fruit trees should be pruned every year. In a few years time the fruit will be at such a height that it will not be possible to pick it without the use of a cherry picker (please excuse the pun), the trees will be that dense that no or little sunlight will get through to the ground, the grass therefore won't grow and it will eventually become a bog. Just like the area in front of the lime kilns where trees were planted 15 years ago (by the council) and never pruned. Please tell me I'm wrong and someone in Incredible Edible or MESS has done some forward planning!
Maybe a good idea for some at the time but time goes quick .in ten years what will it look like .

Victor M

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
As my question regarding the pruning of these trees has not been answered I take it that no pruning will take place. The RHS web site states that fruit trees should be pruned every year. In a few years time the fruit will be at such a height that it will not be possible to pick it without the use of a cherry picker (please excuse the pun), the trees will be that dense that no or little sunlight will get through to the ground, the grass therefore won't grow and it will eventually become a bog. Just like the area in front of the lime kilns where trees were planted 15 years ago (by the council) and never pruned. Please tell me I'm wrong and someone in Incredible Edible or MESS has done some forward planning!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »
Incredible edible have already done something similar with vegetables in the Memorial Park.

I'm sorry to correct you @CllrGeoffAbell but Incredible Edible haven't done anything in Memorial Park with vegetables. The veg patches in the park were created and are maintained by Marple Allotment Association, and a wonderful job they do too.

Incredible Edible did plant some Wild Harvest tree saplings provided by the Woodland Trust in the park back in 2014. These comprised a mix of Hazel, Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder and Dog Rose, some of which can be harvested for jams or left to feed the local birds and wildlife. Of course they have done lots of great veg planting around the town centre in the large wooden containers.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 01:21:30 PM »
@Condate @red666bear @Victor M
I will reply to a few comments here as best I can.

First off, I hope this will be an asset to Marple in years to come.  Fruit trees do not grow tall - there is a much taller tree in the background of the pictures for instance.  When the fruit is ripe it is for all to enjoy.  Incredible edible have already done something similar with vegetables in the Memorial Park.

I think there has been a lack of communication here that has caused unnecessary angst.  However there was a consultation (that delayed the initial planting) that I believe was 2-1 for the orchard.  Cllr Blair (who knows the law) also checked the legal position with the council.  There is a covenant (dating from 1909) re the area that allows for this, but not farming nor housing.  Given that green belt may be sacrificed for the housing need, nothing is ultimately safe!

The MP was poorly and did not attend - so no photo op!  However, as you can see, the mayor along with @Malcolm Allan and myself did attend, but as always it's about the people of Marple doing something, not us.   That's what the Neighbourhood Plan is about too.  in answer to a perhaps tongue-in-cheek question, councillors are there to help and facilitate good things for the community.  As local finances are tighter and tighter, this will become more and more import.

I hope in time this orchard will be seen as a good asset for all.  It might even help with the tendency of the Rec to be waterlogged.

I hope that in time this will be seen as a good asset for all of Marple.

[attachment deleted by admin]

amazon

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
Possibly because there is a very active group who look after these gardens?

However if community orchards are seen as a good idea why not one in the rec ground further up Longhurst Lane near the Devvy? No traffic problems, lots of space there so could retain the goals/ play equipment etc though perhaps not enough room for 75 trees. Accept this is possibly getting to the limits of the Marple connection but not MESS which covers Mellor.
Not in view publicity

amazon

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »

However if community orchards are seen as a good idea why not one in the rec ground further up Longhurst Lane near the Devvy? No traffic problems, lots of space there so could retain the goals/ play equipment etc though perhaps not enough room for 75 trees. Accept this is possibly getting to the limits of the Marple connection but not MESS which covers Mellor.
  could we not have a small supermarket o the rest of it people seem to be Able to do what they like .what do we have councillars for .

corium

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »
Dear Maureen Matthews, why didn't you have this orchard in the gardens on longhurst lane / Parkside?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »
Does not answer my initial question, what happened to the public consultation and who is going to prune the 75 trees?  Unfortunately it may have gone un-noticed by MESS but trees grow. One of the problems we have in Marple is that a lot of the great views are now spoilt by trees that have been allowed to outgrow their environment.

It wasn't intended to address your questions @Victor M it was simply an announcement a member of MESS asked me to add to the site for them. I appreciate the timing of it made it look like it may be but I simply posted it at the first opportunity I had after receiving the request.

There were public questions asked about the consultation at Marple Area Committee meeting on 8 March but the answers aren't published in the minutes, they just say "...the Corporate Director for Place Management and regeneration be requested to provide a written response within 7 days." But councillors @Malcolm Allan or @CllrGeoffAbell  should be able to advise the outcome.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

red666bear

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 09:02:08 PM »

And a mess it looks too. How are the council going to cut the grass now?

Correct amazon and have you seen the state they've made over at strines road / lime kiln lane looking for samuel oldknow teeth again!

red666bear

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »
Dear Maureen Matthews, why didn't you have this orchard in the gardens on longhurst lane / Parkside?

red666bear

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
Did william wragg turn up for his photo opportunity?

Condate

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
Does not answer my initial question, what happened to the public consultation and who is going to prune the 75 trees?  Unfortunately it may have gone un-noticed by MESS but trees grow. One of the problems we have in Marple is that a lot of the great views are now spoilt by trees that have been allowed to outgrow their environment.

Well we voted no on the form we got from the council. I think it is a backwards step and I was very sorry to see it has gone ahead. I would be very interested to know the figures from the consultation.