Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Traffic light confusion  (Read 5673 times)

red666bear

Re: Traffic light confusion
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
Slow news day in Marple!

Howard

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
If we're having a dig at Marple traffic lights, I'd love to know what the reasoning is behind the setting for the timer on the right turn filter at the bottom of Dan Bank. At various times of day it is genuinely on for less than 5 seconds. At other times of day it seems to be longer, but that's barely enough to get two cars through if they're all actually obeying it. Often I see a few additional cars jump the light because they're so frustrated with being kept there.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
I've seen this quite a few times too, it's a regular occurrence I believe.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Cyberman

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
I've seen this several times. Cars turn left on the green light from Hollins Lane, then see a red light which they assume is a pedestrian crossing, so they stop. I've seen cars wait for the whole cycle.

tonyjones

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
I have noticed this on a few occasions. Also cases of cars coming up Stockport Road where they must have gone through on Amber ( which means STOP) and get as far as the lights outside M & Co which are then on red, so they stop, even there is no white line on the road to stop at !

One can only assume that they have not been correctly taught about traffic lights.

The worst thing about these lights is that when coming along Hollins Lane early on Sunday morning (8:15ish) and  the lights are on red it take a l-o-n-g time to change even though there is no other traffic around.

Barndoor will just have to live with the fact that there are only a few of in Marple who know how these traffic lights work !

barndoor

Traffic light confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »
I cannot be the only one who has witnessed drivers evidently confused by the traffic lights at the Hollins Lane/ Stockport Road junction.

When obeying the green light to turn left from Hollins Lane onto Stockport Road, some drivers stop (having travelled only a few feet) when they reach the single traffic light at M&Co - which will be illuminated red. I believe this light to be red to prevent traffic on the Stockport Road from proceeding in the direction of the cinema; but some drivers having just exited Hollins Lane believe it applies to them, and come to a halt at it. Yesterday I was waiting outside the NatWest bank and in just 10 minutes witnessed it twice. I've noticed, too, that the driver of the vehicle behind the 'stopper' often attempts to educate him or her with a friendly toot of a car horn and some helpful arm movements (although yesterday the stopper was wearing his seatbelt, so the urgent motion to put it on wasn't really required).

Has anyone else witnessed the scenes I describe? Or even been one of the 'stoppers' themselves? I would be interested to know ways of clarifying the traffic rules at this junction.