Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Marple Skatepark Fund-raising target of £100,000 Reached!  (Read 37259 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Skatepark Fund-raising target of £100,000 Reached!
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »
A council contractor is expected to start the resurfacing works to the main pathway into the park between the main entrance and the war memorial today.

The work should be completed this week.

Of course the contractor was working to council time and hasn't started yet after telling us on Friday that they would! Latest promise (yesterday) is that the work starts today.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2017, 05:58:38 AM »
Yesterday we mostly painted and stencilled the back of the old quarter-pipe to match-up with the new skatepark. Someone had damaged the screed by digging their name into it over the weekend, so we filled and repaired that too. We hope that park users will respect the efforts we've made to improve the skatepark and just enjoy using it over the Bank Holiday weekend!

As it was........

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2017, 07:26:29 AM »
A council contractor is expected to start the resurfacing works to the main pathway into the park between the main entrance and the war memorial today.

The work should be completed this week.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

willow

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
The benches look brilliant

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
Well that took longer than expected with it raining all the time but all 3 benches are now stencilled and all being well we can get them installed soon.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
My four year old son loves going on it with his scooter when it's quiet.  He adores going on it, and would go on it whenever he could. 

Have to say the larger users are generally very good when there's smaller children on there, although obviously we keep him off it when it's busy.  But tomorrows skaters have to start somewhere so a beginners area sounds like a great idea.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
Thanks for your reply Admin.
My children are always padded up with helmets as well.

Unfortunately my 16 yr old doesn't like using it as too many little ones are in the way and stops him using it properly.

Where as the younger one is still learning and enjoys it.

I know it's hard to police but it seems a shame if the older ones can't use it for what it was built for. On the other hand it seems cruel to stop the little ones.

Don't know what the solution is but I originally thought it was meant for 'teens' as the younger ones have the other two parks already?

I know that some have found the best solution is to go there in quieter times - usually earlier and later in the day. This is not always practical but there is an over 40s group that have started using it at 8am on Sunday mornings for example!

In the longer term, we are looking into the possibility of doing more work on the top section that may include an area specifically for beginners called a pump track. In busy times we'd hope that this would draw the smaller ones away from the main skatepark.

Another option could be for the users to have a friendly dialogue with parents of the little ones asking them to keep them to certain area of the park. I realise this can be tricky as people can take offence but often if parents do understand that by zooming all over the skatepark in a random manner their children are stopping other people from using it then I'd hope that they would be receptive to a compromise. I do realise that this could be a tough thing to ask of a 16 year old though.

Look out for more details soon about our ideas for improvements to the top section of the skatepark and the basketball court.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

willow

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply Admin.
My children are always padded up with helmets as well.

Unfortunately my 16 yr old doesn't like using it as too many little ones are in the way and stops him using it properly.

Where as the younger one is still learning and enjoys it.

I know it's hard to police but it seems a shame if the older ones can't use it for what it was built for. On the other hand it seems cruel to stop the little ones.

Don't know what the solution is but I originally thought it was meant for 'teens' as the younger ones have the other two parks already?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »
I don't believe the council notices at the park include any age restrictions but I have seen other guidance that suggests children up to the age of 10 should be supervised by parents. Personally I think that's a good idea and my own grandchildren who are under 10 and use the park regularly are always supervised.

The council notice does advise all users to wear helmet + knee and elbow pads but many choose not to.

RoSPA is the authority that inspects and approves skateparks for use and their web site gives some interesting insights and says that there will be accidents:

http://www.rospa.com/play-safety/inspections/skateboard-inspections/user-safety-tips/
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

willow

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Is there a minimum age recommended for the skate park? There seems to be a lot of very young children standing/playing on it when the older ones are flying around. Due to the nature of the sport if someone comes off it will be fast and I would hate to see an accident.

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
amazon, you may want to re-read admin's post of 5:59 (and 54 seconds)

:D

RH

amazon

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2017, 10:01:46 PM »
The back of the old quarter-pipe is now blocked up and we're waiting for it to be skimmed before we can paint. The three old benches have had their final coat of gloss and now have to be stencilled before they can be installed. And the new double-bin has been delivered to the park and is waiting for the council's contractor to fit. Making good progress!

are they rendering them blocks 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
Whats the colour on the benches .

It's dark grey but I think the photo is giving it a bit of a blue cast. I've just finished stencilling the first one, see below. I think this is more accurate on the colour:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2017, 02:40:40 PM »
The three old benches have had their final coat of gloss and now have to be stencilled before they can be installed.

What's the colour on the benches?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2017, 05:59:54 AM »
The back of the old quarter-pipe is now blocked up and we're waiting for it to be skimmed before we can paint. The three old benches have had their final coat of gloss and now have to be stencilled before they can be installed. And the new double-bin has been delivered to the park and is waiting for the council's contractor to fit. Making good progress!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website