Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Linked Events

• Funeral of Kevin Dowling: October 20, 2020

Author Topic: RIP Kevin Dowling 3 October 2020  (Read 2367 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: RIP Kevin Dowling 3 October 2020
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:07:01 AM »
Kevin's thoughts on Marple Memorial Park may be even more relevant today than they ever were......

Here is what Kevin said about the park back in 2015, when he donated royalties from his book, A Man of Insignificance:

https://www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/our-projects/skate-park-improvements/a-man-of-insignificance.html

"Even in sometimes bewildering life-spells, walking through Marple Memorial Park, as I do on an almost daily basis, gives me a tremendous sense of clarity, well-being and elation. I am sure that it offers exactly the same and perhaps even more to many other members of, and visitors to our community. It is of the utmost importance to my life and to the life of those around me that our park is preserved and cared for. Alongside the spirituality, the reality is that the park needs money to ensure its survival and development. The publication of AMOI gives me the potential opportunity to support Friends of Marple Memorial Park in this way as they are the ones who caretake the park in its preservation and ongoing evolution; and I am delighted to be able to offer this." K.C.Dowling - May 2015
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: RIP Kevin Dowling 3 October 2020
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »
Funeral of Kevin Dowling

Kevin's funeral will take place at 11am on Tuesday 20th October at The Holy Spirit church in Marple.

Kevin's wife Elaine says:

"Due to COVID restrictions, only family have been invited to attend the church service.

But it would be lovely if friends and colleagues, past and present, could line the route (as per the map below) to pay their respects.

I will miss him dreadfully as will the whole of the Marple Community  - in various ways!

Also, if anyone wants to make a donation, I have chosen Friends of Marple Memorial Park, as Kevin met with Mark Whittaker in July with a view to doing something with his poetry book to raise money for the park. People can donate on-line and, if they are UK taxpayers, may also include Gift-Aid via the FoMMP Local Giving web site: https://localgiving.org/charity/fommp/ "

The Funeral procession is expected to depart from Springfield Hotel at around 10.40am - 10.45am.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
RIP Kevin Dowling 3 October 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 09:36:44 AM »
RIP Kevin Dowling 3 October 2020

I'm very sad to report that local character Kevin Dowling passed away last Saturday.

Kevin was well know throughout Marple as the owner of the Springfield Hotel. As a local councillor for several years, including a spell as Chair of Marple Area Committee, he is remembered for his barnstorming rejection of a supermarket being built on the Hibbert Lane College site during a huge meeting at Marple Cricket Club.

Kevin is also famous locally for his unbridled support of Marple and Marple Bridge during his appearance on "Three in a Bed" some years back and for putting the world to rights in the Samuel Oldknow bar on a regular basis. We often enjoyed his company there on a Saturday afternoon following our task days in Memorial Park.

Kevin was an author with two novels as KC Dowling, plus the Red Hat Guide to Manchester and a book of poems that he was preparing to publish and promote shortly before his death.

Kevin loved the park opposite his hotel and home on Station Road. In 2015 he donated a proportion of the royalties for his first novel "A man of Insignificance" to Friends of the Park. He was also intending to do the same with his new poetry book. I understand that Friends of Marple Memorial Park will be Kevin's chosen charity for donations in lieu of flowers too.

The funeral will take place at 11am at The Holy Spirit RC Church in Marple on Tuesday 20th October. The service is restricted to family only due to current regulations but it is planned to ask people who knew him to line the route from the hotel to the church and more details about both the timing and route will be published when known.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website