Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Litter  (Read 1582 times)

wheels

Re: Litter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
Anyone noticed the plethora of discarded face masks littering Marple? I have picked up a few and binned them but why can’t the perpetrators put them in the bin themselves.

Agreed. The white bits of string that go over the ears are particularly harmful for birds and other wildlife.

mikes

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »
Anyone noticed the plethora of discarded face masks littering Marple? I have picked up a few and binned them but why can’t the perpetrators put them in the bin themselves.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
Is that an offer to go and do something about it Amazon?
I have tried along with a few others but it needs a lorry to take away .go and have a look .being tried to have it sorted since march .

wheels

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 02:07:00 PM »
Theres a lot of litter and fly tipping ludworth park behind Windsor castle car park .. Malcolm

Is that an offer to go and do something about it Amazon?

amazon

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
Me too. I've already discussed it with Malcolm face-to-face - I think it's a great idea. I'm in the camp that believes people will litter less when there's less litter but to be honest for a long time I've failed to get my head around the thought processes of litter louts and dog-poo louts too. I would like to see draconian penalties handed out at the drop of a...... anything!
Theres a lot of litter and fly tipping ludworth park behind Windsor castle car park .. Malcolm

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »
I'm amazed that this contribution from Malcolm has generated no comments at all. Not even the moaners have been on attacking a councillor for doing something.

Me too. I've already discussed it with Malcolm face-to-face - I think it's a great idea. I'm in the camp that believes people will litter less when there's less litter but to be honest for a long time I've tried and failed to get my head around the thought processes of litter louts and dog-poo louts too. I would like to see draconian penalties handed out at the drop of a...... anything!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 12:13:24 AM »
I'm amazed that this contribution from Malcolm has generated no comments at all. Not even the moaners have been on attacking a councillor for doing something.

wheels

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 07:26:25 PM »
I don't actually see a great deal of litter Malcolm what I do see is a massive amount of dog poo tied up in little backs as if the dog own thinks that's perfectly alright and that it will in some magical way clean itself up.

On a more general point there is absolutely no doubt that there is less litter in areas that are kept tidy however the concern I would have about the sort of scheme you suggest whereby people adopt an area is that it sends a message to those who want to dump and litter that it won't matter if they litter as "community champion " will be along soon to tidy up. Thus it might lead to even more littering but you come forward with a practical suggestion and that should be commended so give it a go and I hope I'm wrong.

Malcolm Allan

Litter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
Litter
I’d like to tackle the blight of litter around our area. Lots of volunteers have been doing a great job over the years organising periodic litter picks but I’d like to do more. I’ve spoken to a lot of people recently who do what I do, and pick up litter on their normal walks around (sometimes with their dog or their children). I want to see if people would back me on this scheme:

Once A Week Litter Pick (“WALLOP”)

Volunteer residents will look after an area which might be their own road or the regular walk they do. Just once a week at most, and only those weeks you can manage it. I’ve been trying this out myself during the lock down and already look after a couple of areas. After my first big sweep, it’s a lot easier and has definitely reduced the litter around.
We would supply litter pickers and bags. On or before your first session someone will come with you and give you a practical safety briefing. In addition we’d say no sharp objects and no dog poo bags. Recycle if you can. We’d also maybe get a big waste bin centrally located. Those in the scheme would register along with their chosen area so we don’t double-up, and would be recognised as Community Clean Up Champions. My idea is on registration you get a badge and you can wear this to show what you’re doing. After a certain number of litter picks you would get an award and recognition publicly if you are OK with that – privacy otherwise.
Theory says people drop less litter in clean areas than in ones already littered. Seeing people litter pick also does that and knowing community volunteers clean up discourages people from dropping litter. All this starts to change culture and attitudes, which is what we need to do.
I’ll need time to set it up this way.
Would people back this and join in?