Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Crowd at the Crown 1950s or early 60s  (Read 5552 times)

amazon

Re: Crowd at the Crown 1950s or early 60s
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
Following great help from @badger with the names in the photo outside the Crown it's now been uploaded to the Virtual Tour along with another one provided by @badger of Rose Hill AFC, also outside the Crown, in around 1952.

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-35

Back Row: Bill Lloyd, Edgar Brown, Larry Meyer, Alan Booth, Arthur Cropper, trainer Les Stewart.
Front Row: Roy Critchlow, Fred Adshead, Bill Stansfield, Harold Dunning, Tommy Bannister, Brian Lindley. Mascot: David Yarwood.
Brian lindley is still around used to be a very good chricketer for Bredbury st marks cricket club ..as i dare say some of the others may still be around .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:26:55 AM »
Following great help from @badger with the names in the photo outside the Crown it's now been uploaded to the Virtual Tour along with another one provided by @badger of Rose Hill AFC, also outside the Crown, in around 1952.

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-35

Back Row: Bill Lloyd, Edgar Brown, Larry Meyer, Alan Booth, Arthur Cropper, trainer Les Stewart.
Front Row: Roy Critchlow, Fred Adshead, Bill Stansfield, Harold Dunning, Tommy Bannister, Brian Lindley. Mascot: David Yarwood.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »
Thanks to hard work from @badger we now have many more names for the faces on this image:

FRONT ROW (ON GRASS) LEFT TO RIGHT
HAMER RIDINGS ,SID ATKINSON, FRED ADSHEAD, JIM YARWOOD, EDDIE LANG, KENNY CARRINGTON, MICK HILL, BERT GELDART, DENNIS TURNER, JOHN CLOSE.

2nd ROW (SEATED) LEFT TO RIGHT
JIMMY SHUFFLEBOTTOM, UNKNOWN, BERT& NELLIE WOLSTENHOLME, CHARLIE EYRES, UNKNOWN, JIM STUBBS, MR TOTTERDELL (SENIOR), EWERT HUMPHRIES.

THIRD ROW (STANDING) LEFT TO RIGHT
UNKNOWN, ROY HALLAS, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, WALLACE BOOTH, GEORGE NUTTALL (SENIOR), JIM PRICE, TONY RILEY, JIM RILEY, FRANK COCKS, MR JOHN MOORS, UNKNOWN, in front ERNIE MOSS, UNKNOWN, BILLY CARTER.

BACK ROW(RAISED UP)LEFT TO RIGHT
ALF HIGGINBOTTOM, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, MR BURGESS, GEORGE NUTTALL, KEN SMITH, UNKNOWN, JOE TOTTERDELL.

George Nuttall was a wrestler & boxer with his brother Bert.
Ken Smith of Smiths Coaches.
Ernie Moss was a painter & decorator.
Bert & Nellie Wolstenholme were Landlord & Landlady of The Crown 1958-1977
Charlie Eyres had the Newsagents shop.
Hamer Ridings was a Builder.
Kenny Carrington was the son of Carrington's Bakers & Confectioners on Goyt Bridge.

THE OCCASION IS NOT KNOWN BUT PROBABLY GOING TO THE RACES.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

badger

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
Back row 3rd from the right is Ken Smith of the original Smith's Coaches, Marple.

badger

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »
The 'Big Guy' on the back row is George Nuttall, Bert's Brother, both were wrestlers and boxers.
Front row 4th from left is Mr. Yarwood
Second row left of your grandad I think is Mr Stubbs and right of your grandad is Hughie Humphreys
I think your Ernie is Ernie Close.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Crowd at the Crown 1950s or early 60s
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 06:16:39 AM »
Have received this image for the Virtual Tour and I will add it at the next update. The photo is provided by Paul Totterdell and this is what he says about it:

Quote from: Paul Totterdell
Crown Regulars in the 1950s could be up to 1961 as my granddad is in the picture one of the original flat cap crew 2nd row 2nd from the right of the four flat caps, my dad is top row 1st on right with shades on (cool) the big guy on the back row I think is Burt Nutall , bottom row 1st on right Ernie ? Bottom row third from left Fred Adshead. Bottom row 1st on left looks like Dennis Fitzpatrick but could be wrong. They must be Marple Boys as not many blow in's in those days.

Can you recognise anyone else? Could be one for @RAY NOBLE

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website