Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Why is there No Poppy Appeal in Marple?  (Read 5704 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Why is there No Poppy Appeal in Marple?
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 03:05:34 PM »
I'm pleased to report that the Poppy Appeal in Marple is back on track for 2017 with a new team of local organisers.

See this new "sticky" thread for more details: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=7323.0
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 02:09:18 PM »
Please see my later post Henri, I will let everyone know when this meeting is scheduled:
Thanks, Mark. Have emailed mess6311 re this

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
Yes please, Admin.

Please see my later post Henri, I will let everyone know when this meeting is scheduled:

It's great that people want to help. I've just spoken to the retired organiser and he says that he has also been approached by a number of others who are interested in helping too.

What he's proposing is that several people should take it over and break away from the control of the Stockport Branch, because they are also struggling for numbers.

He is going to approach the Stockport organisers to discuss this and is then hoping to hold a public meeting for people who want to help.

This will not be for several weeks because everyone will be involved in collecting, counting and paying in money over the next 2 to 3 weeks.

So in around a month's time there will hopefully be a meeting where people can learn more about what this involves and decide if they want to take it on.

To give you more of a feel for it (I now have a warm ear) this is not just a couple of weeks, it is more like 2 to 3 months of effort. The Marple round involves 140 outlets and 10 schools. Each outlet or school has to be visited at least 3 times, once to deliver poppies and boxes, once to collect takings and once to provide a card with the amount collected on. All full boxes currently have to be taken to Stockport and counted. There maybe extra visits above those if boxes are full or the outlet needs more poppies. Then there is the organisation of the Asda collection volunteers, setting up and dismantling every day, being on call for any problems or last minute dropouts and delivering the full boxes to Stockport every day too (because the Stockport Branch currently has overall responsibility). Then on top of all that, is ordering delivering and taking payment for the Poppy Wreaths for local organisations to lay at ceremonies around the area. This was still done this year by the retirees but they also wish to give this up too.

So you can see this is no small task but a considerable undertaking and responsibility. Hopefully if people really do want to make a difference a public meeting will be the way forward.

Watch this space and I'll do my best to pass on information from RBL representatives to help this happen.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »
Asda has not refused to allow the collections, in fact there has been someone in there from Glossop selling poppies on ocassion this year.

As I tried to explain in the quote below, the RBL volunteers who organised the Marple collections have retired from the task because they can no longer manage it. For next year someone needs to step up and do this if things are to get back to normal. Someone is needed to do both the organisation of the collections in Asda and also the delivery to, collection from and banking of takings from Marple shops and pubs. I don't think it has to be the same person(s).

I think there are quite a few people happy to sell poppies in Asda (myself included) but it is the next level up in the organisation structure that is currently not available.

As I understand it this is organised through the Stockport branch of the RBL. If you'd like me to get you contact details I should be able to do so as I know the retired organisers quite well.
Yes please, Admin.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:33 PM »
It's great that people want to help. I've just spoken to the retired organiser and he says that he has also been approached by a number of others who are interested in helping too.

What he's proposing is that several people should take it over and break away from the control of the Stockport Branch, because they are also struggling for numbers.

He is going to approach the Stockport organisers to discuss this and is then hoping to hold a public meeting for people who want to help.

This will not be for several weeks because everyone will be involved in collecting, counting and paying in money over the next 2 to 3 weeks.

So in around a month's time there will hopefully be a meeting where people can learn more about what this involves and decide if they want to take it on.

To give you more of a feel for it (I now have a warm ear) this is not just a couple of weeks, it is more like 2 to 3 months of effort. The Marple round involves 140 outlets and 10 schools. Each outlet or school has to be visited at least 3 times, once to deliver poppies and boxes, once to collect takings and once to provide a card with the amount collected on. All full boxes currently have to be taken to Stockport and counted. There maybe extra visits above those if boxes are full or the outlet needs more poppies. Then there is the organisation of the Asda collection volunteers, setting up and dismantling every day, being on call for any problems or last minute dropouts and delivering the full boxes to Stockport every day too (because the Stockport Branch currently has overall responsibility). Then on top of all that, is ordering delivering and taking payment for the Poppy Wreaths for local organisations to lay at ceremonies around the area. This was still done this year by the retirees but they also wish to give this up too.

So you can see this is no small task but a considerable undertaking and responsibility. Hopefully if people really do want to make a difference a public meeting will be the way forward.

Watch this space and I'll do my best to pass on information from RBL representatives to help this happen.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

mess6311

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
Hi Mark,

As an ex serviceman if no one has stepped up in the next 12 months i would be happy to have a go. Could you try and get some contact details from the stockport RBL branch and i will email/speak to the to try and prevent this happening again. Half the battle is getting the boxes out there in the first place and after all its only a couple of weeks each year.

The least that some of us can do to remember those that have gone before

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
Has ASDA refused to allow this or has the RBL been remiss in asking?

Who is responsible for RBL issues and poppy sales in Marple these days?

Asda has not refused to allow the collections, in fact there has been someone in there from Glossop selling poppies on ocassion this year.

As I tried to explain in the quote below, the RBL volunteers who organised the Marple collections have retired from the task because they can no longer manage it. For next year someone needs to step up and do this if things are to get back to normal. Someone is needed to do both the organisation of the collections in Asda and also the delivery to, collection from and banking of takings from Marple shops and pubs. I don't think it has to be the same person(s).

I think there are quite a few people happy to sell poppies in Asda (myself included) but it is the next level up in the organisation structure that is currently not available.

As I understand it this is organised through the Stockport branch of the RBL. If you'd like me to get you contact details I should be able to do so as I know the retired organisers quite well.

As I understand it nobody has stepped up to organise this. It doesn't just happen, someone (volunteers) have to arrange it all. Deliver the boxes and poppies to the shops, collect the full boxes and deliver them back to the organisers. It is quite a lot of work and responsibility. The local chap who has done it for many years is in his 80s and has retired from the role. In fact he tried to retire a couple of years ago and Jack Turnbull was taking it over but sadly Jack became very ill last year and couldn't do it (he has since passed away). So the chap who used to do it stepped in again last year but he can't keep doing so. The same applies to the collections in Asda, it was the same people organising it and as I understand it nobody has stepped up to take this over either.

Most of the RBL volunteers are getting pretty old now. What is really needed is someone younger to step up and say "I'm going to do that!"
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
Whats Going on no Poppie boxes in Marple so that people can show respect to to are fallen HEROS.
Never mind the fallen heroes - what about those who are alive and stuggling and need the RBL's help?

IF THERE IS ANYONE ON HERE WHO IS INVOLVED WITH THE RBL PLEASE GET iN tOUCH WITH ME FOR NEXT YEAR

I've rejoined the RBL as a result of this problem and the website has made me join the Poynton Branch. Odd, but there it is

My login is Henrietta

Re: No poppies in local shops
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
I heard from a local shop keeper that there weren't any poppies this year in local Maple shops.
Mainly because there weren't any or enough volunteers to put out the tins and collect them again.

Mine were purchased in New Mills.

What a shame.

Hopefully there will be poppy sellers in Marple this weekend.
I got mine at the Hargate Hill Equestrian Centre cafe in Charlesworth about 3 weeks ago. Last week I was shopping in Marple and was accosted in the street on 3 separate occasions by people asking me where I had bought my poppy. The lady in one of the shops I went in said she had been unable to get hold of a tray and collecting box to have on her counter.

When I lived in Marple in the 1980s I used to stand out in the street to sell poppies and latterly, when the Co-op was on the Hollins we stood inside the store. Has ASDA refused to allow this or has the RBL been remiss in asking?

Who is responsible for RBL issues and poppy sales in Marple these days?

JohnBates

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 05:26:42 PM »
If any one needs a last minute poppy for tomorrow they have them at the Shell garage GR Yeates

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this post and have put a similar one up in miscellaneous.

I've merged the two threads @EmmyJane Designs
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this post and have put a similar one up in miscellaneous.

EmmyJane Designs

No poppies in local shops
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
I heard from a local shop keeper that there weren't any poppies this year in local Maple shops.
Mainly because there weren't any or enough volunteers to put out the tins and collect them again.

Mine were purchased in New Mills.

What a shame.

Hopefully there will be poppy sellers in Marple this weekend.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »
I would like to just thank the lads from the ATC who were doing a great job selling poppies in Marple this morning.  Well done!
There was two other people selling popies .a lady with a child outside mcolls .and one in Asda .well done to them as well

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »
I would like to just thank the lads from the ATC who were doing a great job selling poppies in Marple this morning.  Well done!